Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Renewing bar tape

Where do you start winding it on, at the top near the stem or at the end?

And why?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

practice and one day you can be like this guy...
http://road.cc/content/news/39338-video-how-tape-your-bars-pro

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's pretty easy; even a clumsy idiot like me can do a decent job. Just take your time and if you go wrong, back it up and wrap again. There's loads of youtube videos out there that help you.
My top tip - double wrap (two layers of tape). It means gorgeous cushioned grips... and on hot summer days it's lovely to get your sweaty mitts off and still be comfy on the bars.

jova54 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys.

New there was a reason for asking before doing and now I know.

Also found Jo's post from 2010, 'Home Taping' in related stories, poetry in slow-motion.  4

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

at the end, winding anti-clockwise on the right and clockwise on the left, so that the natural action of the hands on the bars tightens the tape rather than wanting to unravel it

the Park Tool site is always a good place to look

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have never done it but always seen it started at the end on DVD maintaince guides you get with cycling plus, etc.

They also suggested putting the tape in an airing cupboard for a bit, on one I saw, to get it flexible.

I am sure a far more knowledgeable expert can advise further or with greater clarity though.

Latest Comments