Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

bib tights (un)padded?

I've got various pairs of bib shorts, 3/4s and a pair of bib tights. Given the cold this winter the tights are getting plenty of use and they are just not quite warm enough. They are a pair of DHB roubaix ones, without the windblock. I'm planning on getting some more tomorrow, well trying some on at least. One aspect I'm thinking over is buying a set of tights without a pad, maybe the gore oxygen ones and then wearing shorts underneath. I often ride Saturday and Sunday, so I could just buy a second pair of bib-tights with a pad, but are unpadded bib tights a good idea? Comfortable with a pair of shorts underneath?
thanks Gavin

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

purplemadwoman | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had a pair of (padded) Protective bib longs for a few years now and they are so warm and snuggly!  1 Just wish they had the Altura Night Vision reflective flashes on them.

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Don't forget wearing no pad or pad will effect saddle height.Also when wearing shorts under bib longs your man bits can get pulled and made sore with the two garments moving in there own ways!with your bits caught between.  20

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

thanks all, got a pair of the gore oxygen unpadded tights today, after trying quite a few pairs on in Condor.

MickeyBlueEyes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've always worn running trousers with padded bibs over the top.

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shorts-under-unpadded tights has been the only way for decades. Personally i never liked it, so i was glad when the padded tights came into fashion. But i've never found a pair with a good padding that stays in place. I've now started wearing the undies out of my mountainbike baggies under tights and think it's ideal. Doesn't cover your thighs, but it does provide some extra warmth.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

It works for me. I've been wearing unpadded bibs with shorts underneath for weeks now. If it's really cold, I wear thermal tights under the bibs and over the shorts. Wearing shorts underneath means that I get a few wears out of the bibs before I have to wash them which is handy for my commute.

Adey | 11 years ago
0 likes

the other way round for me - i wear unpadded tights with padded shorts ontop

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

I wear a pair of unpadded Lusso bib tights with some regular non bib padded shorts underneath. Lovely stuff.

FMOAB | 11 years ago
0 likes

Works for me.

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm an ex rower so I have a few pairs of leggings (non bib). I've often worn leggings over bib-shorts or even over bib tights when its been really cold. No problems for me!

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

There's no reason why they shouldn't be fine. Give it a try.

Unpadded tights, 3/4 or leggings of some kind are what I wear most of the time when it's too cool for shorts, I ride 5 or 6 days a week all year round.

Latest Comments