Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Game Suggestions

Things you may want to ask for.

1. Can you add sortable columns to the 'Rankings' page so you can click on the Rider 'Value' column and have the list sorted by rider value instead of its current sort by points scored?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

118 comments

Theinvisiblecyclist | 9 years ago
0 likes

I get you because although at times you can do some silly things , I try to read each post subjectively with no preconceptions about who is posting .

This is something that seems to be severely lacking at times on these forums  45

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I've got a good idea. Why don't we all just enjoy the game?

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

enrique mate, why, when you get an idea just jot it down on some paper and then when the suggestions post is reopened for next season give it your all and make your suggestions.

As Dave has said nothing is going to happen this season so any suggestions you make are going to get lost in the traffic so to speak.

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dave, I'm not sure how this works but when you look at the Overall Competition scores you have the 'Show/hide purist teams' and 'Show/hide premium teams' buttons there. When I click on the 'Show/hide purist teams' I get to alternately see all (!) teams, including Purists, or just 'Non-Purist' (Standard?) teams... Is there a way you could adapt the button or add one to just (!) see the Purist teams so you can see how you're doing just against the Purist teams? I have to admit it may already be an available function and I may not know how it's done and am just completely lost...  39

simon F | 9 years ago
0 likes

That would be the "Overall purist" league, or if you prefer, the "Overall purist (non premium races)" league - just underneath the "Game leagues (overall)" bar - ie the next league down from where you clicked on "Overall table"

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

(!)

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dave, as the game progresses, it might be fun to offer different budgets for different people. Say you're new and wanted to play the 'Beginner' level... You could join a league with a budget of 180 for the Grand Tours... Say you've been playing for a few years and want to play with a very restricted budget that allows you no more than 3 GC riders for a tour, you could play 'Advanced' with a budget of 150, or so... Maybe specific leagues could set up their own budget?...  4 Maybe the prizes for the 'Beginner' level should just be socks (!)  3

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

enrique, it wont work mate, just look at how well some in their first season have done so far and how poorly others, like myself, who have been in a while are doing.

The game has enough variables in it without trying to create up more.

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have plans next season to have a forum's scorum's two tier league....possibly calling it pro tour and continental.....with promotion and relegation perhaps?

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

I'll be surprised if Spilak isn't THE most popular rider.....

Dave, God knows I'm annoying, and I'm wasting my time,  4 but wouldn't it be nice to see that type of info on a page without having to go click on his profile after the stage? Couldn't we have a page like the riders page where you could list or check the most popular riders per stage? Something like this below?...

In the first example I show only the Top 9 riders for each stage are 'checked' so you could see the 9 most popular riders for each stage of the race...  4

4 Note the amazing color coding of each stage:

BLUE - Time Trials and Medium Mountain Stages
RED - High Mountains
GREEN - Sprint Stages

39 You could also change the checkmarks for numbers. No. 1 would be the most Popular rider for that stage, No. 2 the 2nd, etc... You can see that in the second example... Alternatively you could show % of teams that had that rider or number (!) of teams that slected that rider for that stage...

. Of course,making the columns sortable by stage would be supremely cool, too (!)  4 And having the most popular riders for the whole competition, well, I would die (!) if that ever happened... ('Do it Dave, do it'!  1 'Just to get rid of enrique!') That (!) would take the cake! Yummy!  1

.What do you think?  4

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

You know?  39 I bet it would be pretty easy to add a column to the current (!) Dream Team pop-up that includes the % of teams that chose those riders in the just completed stage... Hmmm...  39 or maybe add a column to the riders page (http://fantasy.road.cc/riders) that showed % of teams that selected the rider for the last completed stage  39 And maybe add the current rider values to the values column that already exists?  4

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Wouldn't it be cool to see a "Total Teams Entered' and a 'Teams Entered Today' Field for every competition?...

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Dave, can we have an option next year of having our first page to come up in the game be the rider selection page of the current competition?  39 I always go to the game first to make my transfers and after that I sometimes look at the standings... I have very feeble wrists and very little energy these days and all this clicking to get to the rider selection is very hard for me... It makes me tired... and then I make poor choices... And then I end up at the bottom of the Forum Scorum league... and then I get depressed...  1

0 likes

Enrique......I could suggest some unusual wrist strengthening exercises(although some say it makes you go blind!!).

And a Forum's Scorum's stage win in this years Giro(stage 9) suggests less feebleness than you claim......although 8 points in the FSUCI rankings for joint 36th means you are in danger of slipping into the Pro-Conti division next season when we split into 2 divisions in Forum's Scorum's.

My game suggestion........get Ramunas and Luca in for stage 2 of the Tour T'Yorkshire!!

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

When was the last time Navardauskas scored anything. Oh...

0 likes

Bit late for the deadline although I've been touting him all weekend.....I like Paolini for today'stage 2 and my team's looking OK with the likes of Haussler,Sagan and Ramunas also in the mix

0 likes

Chava for IAM has a stage win in him somewhere too but he may well save his best for the French crowds and is not as good a value as HH?

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just thought of this while playing NBC's Fantasy Cycling Challenge...  39 Could we have a sort for riders on the Team Selection page next year based on their total score for the running competition? At first I didn't like it, it's the default sort for riders in that game, but having riders sorted by their total score in the NBC game made me realize I was about to leave someone out that was scoring a boatload of points so far in the competition and suddenly I started liking it...  4

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have an issue with the algorithm for working out points for new riders, specifically those who have a few races under their belts.

Looking at Tour of Poland Formolo, Arredondo and Seb Henao are very expensive. Formolo has done 12 stages within the competition (9x Suisse, 3x Trentino) yet he is 17.9 cost on the back of one moderately successful event (and pulling out of Trentino). On a twelve month basis he has scored less than, Riblon, Siutsou, Jungels, Capecchi, Ion Izaguirre, Barguil etc. But costs more than them.

Arredondo has done two very good events but had a bad volta catalunya. Is he really worth so much more than Cataldo and D. Caruso in a race to be decided on the time trial?

Same earlier in the season, Simon Yates was prohibitive on the back of only doing tour of britain, but Adam was cheap. IIRC Hofland and Coquard cost silly amounts in their second competition in the game because their first was so good.

It would be good if these up and coming riders could have their scores smoothed until they get enough races under their belts to accurately gauge their cost. Is this achievable?

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

You know, looking at the results for the U23 Road race, I thought next year it might be fun to have the Worlds Championship Competition include all the race categories, women's, Jr's, U23, etc...

That'd be a lot of 3.0 riders to choose from!  4 I'd help with the start lists of course, but with the Tour of Beijing gone for next year, it would be a hell of a way to close out the Road.cc Fantasy Cycling Season!  1

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well, what a dilemma... The year is not even half way through and I'm already thinking about what things I either miss from the 'old' game or always wish had been there...  45

Here are my unabashedly honest, albeit truly insignificant, in the grand scheme of things, requests... based on a post I just commented on (http://road.cc/content/forum/145935-au-revoir#comment-336684)

1. We must tweak the rider value algorithm to allow for more mid level riders to be able to be added to teams. When the mountains come along, invariably, because of the high cost of the favorites, you end up with 3 or 4 'Stars' and 3 or 4 3.0 riders. Who wants a gaggle of non-scoring 3.0 riders on their team? (Admittedly, it takes a lot of planning to plan around these circumstances, which many of you seem to enjoy  39 ) I live for the thrill of having many (!) riders to root for!  3

2. I think we should go back to 9 man teams again...

3. I really miss the penalty transfers... Like I 've said before, that 'Last throw of the dice'...  22

4. I miss the rider stats that said how many teams had a particular rider on their team... On the Oman stage which Valls Ferri won, on the Tirreno stage which Debushere won and on the mountain stage which Nairo won, it would have been nice to see who, or how many, were 'smart enough' or 'bold' enough to have picked those riders....

So there they are... My pet peeves about the game (again)... Feel free to do some intelligent moaning about me if your heart so desires... I can't help but feel the love... But (!) I do (!) love this game! And Gkam of course....

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hey Enrique!  39

Here's my 2 pence!

Things I Miss.
I also miss the penalty transfers, I understand planning your transfers, but as seems to happen I plan but end up having to compromise or run out towards the end of the race.
Maybe if we increased the penalty to 20 points per transfer, it might limit people.
Just feel that some stages I end up with no riders to cheer on! And it moves the standard nearer to being a purist comp.

When clicking on a riders name in the selection, we get to see what scores they recently got, and what date, but no longer what type of stage it was. Which used to be a good help.

Having a running total for certain badges over the season, such as Top 10 stage finish, and Top 20 Tour Finish etc. To give an indicator how you have done over a season.

Also miss the prizes from last year. I understand they caused lots of problems last time, with lots of people not receiving them etc. But it did add a lot more incentive to the game.
And having just won the Tirreno Purist comp, am a little gutted  2 Love me some freedbies!

Things I like.

The addition of stage profiles for each stage.

I like the new bonus comps, embracing the more obscure mini comps that used to run, such as 3 frenchmen etc.

Hmm Think thats it for now!  39
Overall still the best game out there!
And mucho Kudos to everyone that runs it!!  16

cgipryan | 9 years ago
0 likes

I'm not necessarily a fan of the new system. I've just fallen from first to third in Tirreno in the very last stage, because I only had 2 transfers left and the guys behind me had one or two extra transfers left. It felt cruel to have nothing to do in the face of almost certain defeat. My heart is broken. For good...

Just kidding. I say let's give the new system a year to see how we adjust to it. It has changed every year since I know the game, so nothing lets us believe that the new system will remain in place for next year.
That being said, what I really miss is the system from my first year in the game, when rider values were changing during each competition, depending on their results. It was, of course, pretty crazy and it was probably pretty unfair, because the better you were, the easier the competition became for you (because your total credits in a GT, for example, were increasing as a result of your good picks). Nevertheless, it was hugely fun, because it was like buying riders and stocks at the same time. It was two games in one, really. That, I loved. And I'm sure that you, enrique, being a number lover, would love that one too...

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

just a quick note to say that the game engine has changed a fair bit this year, but we'll be using this game engine for 2016 too. so there won't be masses of changes and things will settle down a bit.

looking at suggestions:

Quote:

We must tweak the rider value algorithm

we're always looking at it, and there's a bunch of variables we can use to tweak it on the fly. maybe we'll try a quicker fall-off in value for an upcoming race to see how it affects the dynamic

Quote:

I really miss the penalty transfers

They're not coming back though, at least not this year

Quote:

When clicking on a riders name in the selection, we get to see what scores they recently got, and what date, but no longer what type of stage it was. Which used to be a good help

I'll see about a fix for that

Quote:

I think we should go back to 9 man teams again

Grand tours will be 9-man teams

Quote:

Having a running total for certain badges over the season, such as Top 10 stage finish, and Top 20 Tour Finish etc. To give an indicator how you have done over a season

it's probably something we could add to the home page, i'll have a think about how that might work

Quote:

Also miss the prizes from last year

we'll be having prizes for the bigger races still, but there were a lot of issues with the prizes and we didn't feel we could commit to a prize for every stage of every competition. that being said, i'm going to look at reinstating (and backdating) at least a winner's prize for everything. so you could be in luck  3

Quote:

I miss the rider stats that said how many teams had a particular rider on their team

you might miss them, but they never actually worked properly  3

Quote:

I have an issue with the algorithm for working out points for new riders, specifically those who have a few races under their belts

going to look at this too as part of the general look at values

Quote:

I guess I'm just lazy and don't want to click 1 time to get to the competition and then another to select the riders

yup, you're just lazy.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's very difficult to get the team prize for 9 riders when we only have 8  21

It is also a very different game with the 'SKODA' transfers and I'm still getting used to it, and it is actually much harder. I like it though.

The values have been a bit strange, for instance Marini and McLay are 20 ish and Mareczko is 3. They are pretty similar in talent and results.

backflipbedlem | 9 years ago
0 likes

I love how much effort goes into your posts Enrique!!  21

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

... filled my team with riders who aren't riding... clicked confirm... Looks like my team is set!

stumps wrote:

Me too...

Jonas Lorenzen wrote:

Glad im not the only one...

It's always been a strange quirk of the game that there isn't a 'reset button'... It adds to the fascination of the game that you have to live by the maxim 'Think before you click', I guess  39 ... but I've always loved the option of resetting your team, as you can see below...  39

It's an old topic, of course, but one very dear to my heart!  1

enrique wrote:

... my top... request for next season:

drheaton wrote:

Have a team reset button when doing transfers - Basically be able to reset my own transfers if I realise I've messed up.

enrique wrote:

Yes, please! Or! Being able to make all the changes I want to my team and have transfers charged only at the end of a transfer deadline! :)...

It's a strange thing, amusing, but cruel, to see folks mess up their teams and have no way to fix it...

This could happen at any point during the year, but I wonder if it would also make more sense next year, as an option, just for the Classics, to have a really high number of transfers, 64, or 72, which would be 6 transfers between each race... or maybe unlimted?... and that way you'd have a way to mess up and not feel the hurt...  22

It's painful to watch as it is, but also entertaining to observe, in a sad liitle way...  20 I cry sometimes...  20

Regardless, this will always be true...

starchild wrote:

Big thanks for the game

enrique wrote:

I really wanted to say thanks, too... I've been on this game every day for so long I can't believe it. I'm really addicted to it!  1 Thanks for the high!  1

enrique wrote:

It's a mighty fun game and I love it! Thanks!  1

http://road.cc/content/forum/43101-suggestions-2012-season

sanderville | 8 years ago
0 likes

Please may I cordially request that the generic jerseys for minor teams are made a bit more colourful? I can't tell whether they are in the race or greyed-out. Thank you.

enrique | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dave, would you consider having a box showing how many transfers you have left for the competition on the 'My Team' page so we don't always have to go to the 'Make Transfers' tab to check?...

Pages

Latest Comments