Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Really OT: light bulbs

Getting really off topic in the tea stop:
Why oh why oh why do they say that the energy saver light bulbs last up to 5 or even 8 years. I have never has one that lasted more than 18 months and any longer than an old fashion incandescent bulb. Obviously they are cheaper to run, but only if they last as long as they are supposed to. And they cost 5 times what the old bulbs cost and you can't by those any more.

If the cost of the bulbs is more than the energy saving what is the point, especially if the carbon footprint of the bulb itself is greater than the energy it uses in the home.

One has gone in the hall for weeks, but today one is out in my bedroom so I now need to go to tesco. I like the idea of the LED white bulbs but they are about £9 a go. They promise to last for years as well but I doubt it.

They should say more clearly the (im)probability of getting it to last 5 years.

Moan over.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

hotweathercyclist | 11 years ago
0 likes

LED bulbs should last 100000 hours, depending on wattage and usage and surges in the electricity. Much better than all the CFL bulb.

robdaykin (not verified) | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have the first low energy bulb I bought when I was at Uni, something in the region of 20 years ago. Since then I've had one failure (it broke physically when dropped) and never had a problem. I've just had to invest in LEDs for downlighters though in my new house, and that has cost a pretty penny, since the whole house is halogens. Which was great when one of the halogens blew a week in, taking out the main trip at 6 in the morning...

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

Aye, swapped out all our GU10s for 48SMD LEDs a while ago. Leccy bill really has gone through the floor. 5 bedroom house...78 GU10s. Lighting for whole house now just 234W =
2 and a bit 'old school' bulbs. 3 years and counting and all going strong, not lost a bulb yet.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

This is the most Daily Mail thread in the history of Road.cc!

They seem to be getting a lot better, but it's quite confusing buying energy savers - light temperature, wattage, equivalent wattage, actual luminance... there's a lot to think about.

Yorkshie Whippet | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, I'm still using low energy lights bulbs after 10years.

Is it a case of how do you use them?
I tend to turn on the light and leave it on for the low energy. If it's somewhere like the bathroom where it's on for short periods of time I have normal bulbs.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

These energy bollox bulbs do my head in. They cost more, have some nasty chemicals in (enviro friendly eh?!), last no longer, lie through their teeth about the equivalent wattage rating, and sometimes (cheap ones, admittedly) make the house look bloody haunted with their weird white light!

Just blown a fortune as well on new gu10's - bugger! At least I know for next time...

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ebay is your friend.
I bought another pack of GU10 LED's for my Daughter's house/kitchen (everyone thinks I'm LED mad here). They were about £24.00 for a pack of 10 (£2.40 each) in soft white and they have completely changed her home.
Bright yes, but not that casts shadows, they have about 30 little squares that light.

Brilliant.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yer, my Dad just replaced all the kitchen GU10s with LED ones from B&Q.

#dazzling

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

We have loads of downligters/spots dotted around the home. I got fed up with changing lamps so bit the bullet and bought LEDs for all - they are great and the power savings are substantial, especially where 'energy saving' lamps were being turned on and off continually (not energy savers used like this).
Go for the LEDs, bright, last for ages (not changed one yet) and cheaper to run.
Only issue - you tend to leave them on more.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

Stumps replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes
trikeman wrote:

We have loads of downligters/spots dotted around the home. I got fed up with changing lamps so bit the bullet and bought LEDs for all - they are great and the power savings are substantial, especially where 'energy saving' lamps were being turned on and off continually (not energy savers used like this).
Go for the LEDs, bright, last for ages (not changed one yet) and cheaper to run.
Only issue - you tend to leave them on more.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

Ah champion, cheers mate.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

you can already get GU10 downlighter LEDs in Ikea for £6 a pop

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Fluorescents will be superceded by LEDs in a few years, and they really do last for *ages*

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

it's the ones in downlighters that get me. No chance what so ever they will last 8 months never mind 8 years.

Latest Comments