Continental GP 4 Season Tyres - Anyone running these???

by trikeman   November 10, 2012  

Hi All,
Hearing good things about Continental GP 4 Season tyres - about due to treat my (one of) commuter to a set of tyres and am looking for real world feedback on these 'Gems' as I have heard.

Does anyone use them on here and what are your experiences - grip, life and p*******e resistance would be a good place to start.

Got really woken up last week on my journey into work, didn't have a p*******e but my front wheel dragged a small branch up into the guard/tyre gap - that did wake me up for sure. Surprise didn't see it between the rain, puddles, wind and mist going towards Long Ashton.

As always, most grateful for feedback.

Regards

Trikeman. Wink

19 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

No experience but likely to go for a set shortly. Heard great things and at the prices you can get them for form the Continent, worth a punt.

posted by Spud [47 posts]
10th November 2012 - 11:57

2 Likes

Had a set on my London commuter - replaced 2000 miles later: down to the threads, but not a single p...

Go get some...

matt_fantastic's picture

posted by matt_fantastic [75 posts]
10th November 2012 - 12:00

1 Like

Had them for just over a year (bought from wiggle tyre / tube combo deal) and think they are great. Not done that many miles but good grip both wet & dry with no real rolling resistance sacrifice. Recommended.

nmg

nmgeddes's picture

posted by nmgeddes [12 posts]
10th November 2012 - 13:00

2 Likes

After my first P******* on my road bike this year today, I am definitely ordering a pair!

posted by Spud [47 posts]
10th November 2012 - 18:05

2 Likes

I've run them on my commuter for years and 10000s of miles in London and out in the country. They are excellent and very reliable. Bike-discount do them at a great price too.
Highly recommended.

Ah! Condor

posted by Bedfordshire Clanger [318 posts]
12th November 2012 - 11:53

4 Likes

I run them on my road bike (all year round), with latex inner-tubes. Lovely smooth ride, low rolling resistance, and considering they're pretty much bomb-proof, they are relatively low weight. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

posted by daddyELVIS [428 posts]
12th November 2012 - 12:01

3 Likes

Got a pair last autumn, excellent grip, feel and puncture resistance. I did rip a sidewall on the rear whilst touring last Nov, but it would have taken out any tyre!

Still running on the front wheel, no punctures. Feel and grip better than the gatorskin on the back.

posted by yarman [18 posts]
12th November 2012 - 13:00

2 Likes

Great tyres, good grip in the wet and dry, no punctures at all yet after 5000ish miles and still wearing well.

posted by tc345 [16 posts]
12th November 2012 - 14:09

3 Likes

WOW, a resounding YES on this one then! Applause

Many thanks all - have ordered them for the commuter hybrid and I'll give them a blast.

Never seen such an overwhelming recommendation for a tyre.

Kind Regards, and Thanks again for the feedback.

Trikeman. Wink

Grunt, puff, pant and groan goes the old man - but he gets there in the end. ;o)

trikeman's picture

posted by trikeman [381 posts]
12th November 2012 - 18:09

1 Like

I specced 25mm GP 4 Seasons on my one and only all year round bike. Love the fact that they are tough but still grippy in the cold and wet. Got 3500 miles out of the rear before the council's misguided top-dressing attempts shredded what was left of the tread. Couple of punctures; one a thorn like a javelin and one a pinch flat courtesy of a pothole (due to my own laziness in not checking the tyre before a night ride)

Bought the same again (new tyre on front, old moved to the back)

posted by keef66 [30 posts]
14th November 2012 - 18:06

1 Like

they are the best IMHO (as echo'd above)
if you want extra p.......re protection get the hardshell/gatorskins, great for any towpath, glass littered cycle paths,gravelly sections you might encounter on a commute.

posted by a_to_the_j [79 posts]
15th November 2012 - 12:57

3 Likes

I have been running a pair of gators for about 14 months (about 4500 miles) and only had 1 p*****re in that time, due to a massive shard of glass Angry Crying . Have been thinking about getting some gp 4 seasons and now the decision has been made.

Some bloke called Eddy once told me: "Don't buy upgrages, ride up grades"

spin cycle's picture

posted by spin cycle [56 posts]
15th November 2012 - 14:36

2 Likes

Been using them for four years now on my Pegoretti and I love them. They are the perfect all year, whatever the occasion tyre for a road bike. So far, never had a puncture...

posted by Hoopdriver [8 posts]
15th November 2012 - 16:44

1 Like

Well, the 4 Seasons arrived today and I fitted them this evening - just got back from a road test.
They feel fine and I was genuinely suprised how light they are and they roll really well.

Thanks for the feedback - I will let you know how they get on but first impressions are that they appear excellent. I have GP4000s's on my 'normal' road bikes (as opposed to the hybrids) and these are comparable with ride quality for sure.

Hope I end up a satisfied 'convert' as all above.

Thanks gents. Applause

Trikeman. Wink

Grunt, puff, pant and groan goes the old man - but he gets there in the end. ;o)

trikeman's picture

15th November 2012 - 22:14

2 Likes

Where is the best ( read cheapest ) place to buy these, defo need to replace mine for the winter.

posted by Spooks [61 posts]
19th November 2012 - 21:13

1 Like

Hi Spooks,
I bought mine from Bike Discount DE (Germany) ordered them on-line and they arrived two days later, cracking service and they were the cheapest on-line by far.
Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman. Wink

trikeman's picture

19th November 2012 - 21:22

1 Like

Smashin that's the site I was looking at, many thanks

posted by Spooks [61 posts]
19th November 2012 - 22:30

2 Likes

To balance the other comments, I find they get small flint cut flats just as easily as std GP4000s where I ride. Gatorskins don't. They do ride well, better than Gators, but I use them as cheap winter tyres rather than for any real increase in flat resistance. On the 'real' winter bike, I use Gators.

posted by james-o [203 posts]
25th November 2012 - 23:29

2 Likes

Hi James-O,
Thanks for the feedback, I will keep an eye out for that.

I have about 300 miles on them now and through this 'hideous' weather I've had no problems (so far) and that has been on a lot of lanes that have been flooded and covered in hedge cuttings, twigs and branches. Surprise

I still have my Gatorskins if all gets out of hand though.

Here's hoping.

Regards,

Trikeman. Wink

trikeman's picture

26th November 2012 - 9:00

0 Likes