Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano RS80 replacement spokes

Hi all,

A spoke let go on my shimano RS80-C24s yesterday... I went into my LBS to see if they can fix them only to be told that their supplier won't have any in stock until November!!!  14 But that if I can find one on the internet I and order it they'll fit it for me. Does anyone know of any websites that are good and reliable for ordering spokes off? I need it pretty fast as I go back to uni next weekend and would like to have it fixed before then!

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Ben Burns | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've had the exact same problem with a spoke going on my Shimano RS30 rear wheel, I've been waiting for a replacement spoke since June!!!!!!!!

My way of getting round it, buy a pair of Mavic wheels instead! Last time I buy a pair of Shimano wheels if it's this hard to get them fixed.

pirnie replied to Ben Burns | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, yeah. I was debating that one... Not sure I'm gonna be buying another pair after this (and the fact that the back rim seems to have worn out far faster than it should!) Shame as they are lovely wheels in most respects!

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Okay, thanks guys!! Order placed, lets hope these work out! Ordered 2 since that's all they have in stock according to the site.

Thanks for all the help!!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not used either, but I know people who have used both with no problems.

I would suggest SJS because they have it in stock, Farnham say 2-3 working days.  3

Get yourself a couple of spares aswell, because when a wheel loses some tension and then its reapplied. If there is any weakness on another spoke, It might just pop or likely to go on your next journey.

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Brilliant! Thanks guys!! I still have the nipple intact but thanks anyhow.

One last question, anyone have any ideas on which of the sites is more reliable? I've not used any of them before

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The front don't have left and right. I was unsure as to which wheel. Its only the rear that has left and right.

That one Dave has posted is what you need. Its the same price here. But don't know about each sites postage.

http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/Shop/p/20382-shimano-spares-wh-rs80-front...

ALSO, This is the correct nipple for it

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-wh-7850-item172850.html?gclid=CNm...

Spoke Shimano Part Number: Y012AF843

Nipple Shimano Part Number: Y012Z4076

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, its out now. The wheel's out of true again but I kinda expected that. Its a front wheel. I have no idea if its a left or right spoke though There's no way to tell which way round the wheel should go.

I think they're the WH-RS80-C24-CL Carbon-Alloy Composite Clinchers from the ones above. They certainly have no mention of the word ultegra on them or any of the literature. Cheers for the help!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah get it out ASAP and don't ride on it if its the wrong size.

They have most likely put in a "neutral" spoke, I don't know if thats the right terminology, but your wheels require left and right spokes. Where as most wheels just have the same anywhere on the wheel.

Thats why you need specific size and side spokes. If you know which of the model's above your wheel is, I'll give you a code for the spoke you need and try to point you in the right direction  3

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, definitely not round.... I've had a quick look on the web and I think the spoke they've given me is 0.5mm too long, and doesn't fit in the seating at the hub properly  14 Think I'll be avoiding that bike shop for maintenance again.

If I remove the offending spoke and find the correct one, then I should hopefully be able to get the wheel back to both round and true right?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Quick worker....Only an hour after you posted I replied.

It could be true and not round if it was badly buckled and they put in the wrong size spoke. If they spoke size was wrong and it was true. It would be loose.

Anything can be true. Even a square can be true. True just means accurately shaped or fitted.

A true wheel would have to be shaped and fitted to the dimensions of a wheel  3

If you have a stand, put your bike on there, get a bit of chalk and spin the wheel fairly fast, hold the chalk to the wheel as it spins. Let the wheel stop itself, don't brake it, then look at the chalk all the way round.....Is it the same distance from the tyre to the inside of the rim?

Thats just a VERY simple method of looking to see if there is any misshaped parts  3

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the reply Gkam, but I ended up going to another bike shop. They replaced the broken spoke with a non shimano one that fitted, Mavic I think. It was pretty badly buckled though apparently... Its now true but I'm not sure its round any more..... Does that sounds possible, or is it just my eyes?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do you know the length of the spoke? Also if its a right or left one?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Shimano+RS80+replacement+spokes&sugexp...

Here are the parts numbers of the wheels. Can you pick out which one's are yours and it would make it simple

WH-RS80-A-C24 Front Ultegra Carbon 24mm
WH-RS80-A-C24 Rear Ultegra Carbon 24mm 8/9/10sp
WH-RS80-C24-CL Front Carbon-Alloy Composite Clincher
WH-RS80-C24-CL Rear Carbon-Alloy Composite Clincher

Latest Comments