Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

USA pro cycling challenge

Seems a rather nice route......however a complete lack of stars compared to DS's in the race! I count just 13 stars from the 16 teams, with 10 teams not having a single star....it could be quite fun

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

51 comments

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Picked a team, but not overly happy with it....  20

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had fun picking mine - although Sutherland has disappeared from the startlist on Cycling Fever since yesterday...

Lack of stars should mean a lot of people have very similar top 4's, so a lot will come down to the DS selection - go for breakaway points or pick the guys that could challenge for top 6? Or just pick a random Columbian I've never heard of and see what happens...  39

frankiejay | 11 years ago
0 likes

If Tyler Farrar doesn't win the final sprint in Denver he should really find a new role. Chicchi, Rodriguez and Keough are the only true sprinters in the field besides him (as far as I can tell). I mean, maybe Hincapie and Phinney... I dunno, Tyler, it's time to win a stage.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Denver is an ITT i believe...

I wouldnt even put Rodriguez as a true sprinter, Colli and Bazzanza from TT1 can also sprint,

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just gone and picked my team as i'm away on hols on sat so needed to get it done.

There is the usual stars to choose from and it would be easy just to load up on 5 stars such as Schleck, Nibali etc but i think someone from one of the lesser known teams might spring a surprise.

0 likes

I retract my comments  1

OK, so there are basically no for sure sprints, so I suppose that is why there are no for sure sprinters  1

0 likes

Here are my thoughts about the second incarnation of this race. The first was really bad. I mean, just not exciting racing and the coverage was awful because the picture kept breaking up with the mountains/altitude/whatever.

This year's course looks loads better (as for the coverage we'll see). This seems like a perfect race to do purist because so many of the stages look very similar. Stages 2, 4 and 6 all have hilltop/mini-mountain finishes after a lot of climbing. Stage 3 is two giant mountains (it really is too bad that they seem set on finishing in destination towns and not at any of these passes, because a final climb up Cottonwood or Independence would be sweet). Then there is stage 1 and 5 which might be sprints--or not--but they won't have huge GC ramification. Actually, the hardest stage to predict will probably be stage 1. Then there's an ITT in Denver for stage 7 (not a sprint... yes, I should have known that).

It seems to me the favorites should be Leipheimer (just had a fantastic Tour of Utah, undone only by an awful TTT where he lost over 2 minutes), van Garderen, Nibali, Evans, Fuglsang (dunno what kind of shape he'll come in) and Tschopp (just dominated the Tour of Utah). The only reason Tschopp may not win is he may be riding for van Garderen.

Other lesser names to watch: Joe Dombrowski (will probably dominate a couple climbs, though he's much better suited to the big, long ones. Watch for him on stage 6); and Lucas Euser (dropped Horner, Danielson, Vande Velde, and company on the final big climb in Utah).

KOM will be some guy from the Columbian team (I honestly don't know who any of them are), or some combination of Louder, Salas, Jacques-Maynes, or Venell.

If there are sprints (stage 5... maybe stage 1) and Farrar doesn't win (because he doesn't win this year... ever), then probably Freddie Rodriguez, Chicchi, Keough, Caruso or Hincapie are the guys to beat, though Phinney could steal one too.

Of course, Horner will finish top 5 somehow (in spite of losing a minute on a 9.5 mile TT), and Tom Danielson will be a big disappointment (though at least two separated shoulders from the TdF are a good excuse). Also Andy Schleck and Kloden will be in every day's shots falling off the pace.

That pretty much covers it. I just hope we get actual coverage this year and not just Paul and Phil chatting in a commentary box about a race that's going on off in the distance.

Raleigh replied to frankiejay | 11 years ago
0 likes
frankiejay wrote:

KOM will be some guy from the Columbian team (I honestly don't know who any of them are).

You mean to say you've never heard of Darwin Atapuma!

chrisdstripes replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:
frankiejay wrote:

KOM will be some guy from the Columbian team (I honestly don't know who any of them are).

You mean to say you've never heard of Darwin Atapuma!

Not that Columbian team actually Raleigh - Coldeportes aren't in it. This team are called EPM-UNE...

0 likes

I take it back. I do remember Infantino Abreu, and apparently he finished 6th in the GC in last year's race, so I'd go with him  1

silas chime | 11 years ago
0 likes

Schleck's pulled out....no real surprise there  37

0 likes

Picking a team is a huge challenge. I want to pick 5 BMC guys and I only want three stars  1

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah its a pain in the neck, only 13 stars and I only want 2 of them  14

0 likes

I've gone for 2 stars each from BMC and OPQ, one DS who could win stages, and 4 breakaway guys from the little American teams, at least for today and tomorrow. Still might leave it as purist, I'll decide on Weds...

0 likes

Im not sure how that first stage is gonna pan out so ive took a risk....i may as well just name my team

Farrar
Peter Velits
Tejay
Fuglsang

Jaques-maynes
Moser
Phinney
Rodriguez
Bazzana

if it isnt a proper sprint i think the finish is flat enough that it will be a sprint of GC guys which is why ive gone with velits, fuglsang, moser, phinney...and it was a toss up between Bazzana and colli, im pretty sure one of them will be up there in the top 10, just which 1?

TheBigMong | 11 years ago
0 likes

I went all-American and have like 20+ points to spare. Couldn't stomach having Farrar on my team... in fact I can't really stomach the thought of having him in the race at all. It's usually pretty likely he'll spazz out and take down a bunch of legitimate riders.  22

0 likes

Agreed today will be one for the all-rounders - sprint from a group of 40-50. I fancy Sutherland but still waiting to see if he's racing (he had dropped off the startlists but is now back on again).

silas chime replied to TheBigMong | 11 years ago
0 likes
TheBigMong wrote:

I went all-American and have like 20+ points to spare. Couldn't stomach having Farrar on my team... in fact I can't really stomach the thought of having him in the race at all. It's usually pretty likely he'll spazz out and take down a bunch of legitimate riders.  22

Absolute classic  16

I think he's a Colorado resident so he'll probably ride around waving to his celeb friends as he takes down half the peleton like a goddam bowling ball

I'm going to start with

VanGarderen
Danielson
Nibali
P.Velits
Tschopp
Kangert
Duggan
VanDeVelde
Euser

0 likes

I've gone for...
Peter V
Sutherland
Tejay and Cadel
Moser
Kyer, Salas, Boily and Lewis

Thought it might be fun to go for breakaway points - its good when it works! (no Jacques-Maynes tho, hmm...) My season's record for the premium comps is ToC 24th, TdS 1st, TdP 108th, Eneco 16th, so I'm due a comedown...

0 likes

ok so ive decided getting rid of farrar is a good plan...although if he wins now i will not be happy

obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes

7 Americans, 2 Italians.

0 likes

Interesting start - a 22-man break formed, and have 3:30 with 55 miles to go. Nibali and Danielson were in the break, and have just gone away on their own...
Boily, Chicchi, Carlsen, Avis and Zach Bell have already abandoned the race. Looks like the whole race is live on the "Radioshack Tour Tracker" via the tour website.

0 likes

large breakaway with some big names.Hincappie, Voigt, Duggan,Danielson and so on 20 or so!
4 riders have pulled out-chicchi, Bell, Carlsen and Avis!

chrisdstripes replied to livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

large breakaway with some big names.Hincappie, Voigt, Duggan,Danielson and so on 20 or so!
4 riders have pulled out-chicchi, Bell, Carson and Avis!

What he said!

TheBigMong | 11 years ago
0 likes

Now that we are underway, I can show my Purist team roster:

van Garderen
Leipheimer
Danielson
Horner
Rodriguez
Phinney
Vande Velde
Duggan
Louder

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

At least Nibali is doing something

Tejay van Garderen (BMC)
Vicenzo Nibali (LIQ)
Levi Leipheimer (OPQ)
Chris Horner (RSN)
Robert Kiserlovski (AST)
Martin Velits (OPQ)
David Zabriskie (GRM)
Fabio Aru (AST)
Paolo Longho (LIQ)

0 likes

I've gone
TJ
Levi
Brako
Farrar

Tschopp
Drombowski
Duggan
Chicchi(now climbed off  20 )
Rodriguez

Not holding much hope this race, might actually leave it for my 1st purist!  39

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

For anyone waiting for it to come on Eurosport

Its live here

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/

Working in the UK and not just for America this year  3

SounDaz_7 replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

For anyone waiting for it to come on Eurosport

Its live here

http://radioshacktourtracker.usaprocyclingchallenge.com/

Working in the UK and not just for America this year  3

What a fantastic tracker, all the info you could possibly want.  26 Forget Eurosport, I'll stick with this.  1

chrisdstripes replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

ok so ive decided getting rid of farrar is a good plan...although if he wins now i will not be happy

He's in the main group with 10k to go...

Pages

Latest Comments