Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

If cycling clothing brands were cars....

Whilst out and about yesterday, my mind began to wonder as it often does to take away the thought of burning thigh pain on another hill...

Anyway, I was musing about cycle specific clothing and what it says about us. My theory is that there's a strong correlation between what we wear and our car (I appreciate not all cycling have one). I started a list in my head:

Assos: BMW (obviously!)
Castelli: Audi
Gore: Toyota (value for money, lasts well)
Santini: Alfa Romeo
DHB: VW
Altura: Ford
Adidas: Skoda (another brand under a different marque)
Santini: Fiat

Carradice: Honda

Any more? Rapha...?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

chokofingrz | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have some Rogelli shorts which I like to think have a Peugeot 205 vibe about them.

PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes

Here's a few suggestions....

Assos : Ferrari - horrendously expensive, performance largely untapped as owners choose to cruise down the King's Road instead. Often tagged with the "All the gear and no idea" sobriquet.

Gore Bike Wear : McLaren - technology lead brand, foregoes the ostentation of Ferraris - the best for those in the know.

Castelli : Maserati - Italian style with prices heading northwards towards Ferrari figures - can be a tight fit in the back (built for speed, not for comfort).

Rapha : Morgan - steeped in the past and you'll pay for the priviledge, though Morgan's aren't made in China so the premium pricing is justified slightly.

Etxe-Ondo : Porsche - everyone has problems pronouncing this brand's name correctly! well made and great performance. Undeservingly lies in the shadow of Ferrari but just as good, if not better than it's glitzier rival.

Endura : Ford - blue collar brand, big in the UK and high performance versions offer a lot of bang for your buck.

Wabi Woolens : Weissman - a brand that flies well below most people's radar, looking like an Austin Healey 3000 with a BMW M3 engine - one foot in the past but delivers huge performance.

Nalini : Fiat - affordable Italian brand, offers continental style on a budget.

Santani : Lancia - performance Italian brand, a step up from Fiat.

Giordana : Alfa Romeo - Mid/Upper market Italian brand targeting similar demographic as Lancia.

Craft : Volvo - cool Scandanavian brand for people who want an alternative to usual european luxury brands.

Pearl Izumi : Lexus - Japanese/American co-ordinated brand, well made but under represented compared to european rivals.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

What about Decathlon?

Daewoo?

Daihatsu?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rapha is like a Maybach 62 Zeppelin (£490,000) "high-end luxury" price wise, but in reality is just as good as a Lexus LS 600h (£90,636) at around 1/5 of the price  3  3

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

Assos - Overfinch Range Rover
Aldi/Lidl - Kia
Sports Direct (Karrimor/Muddy Fox) - Tata

Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

Two years ago I bought some "crivit" items...and the guy in Lidl's assured me it was a German translation of "Porsche".

AJWatson replied to Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

And was it more like a Fiat Panda?

AJWatson | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use ZeroRH+ stuff. Pretty good stuff. Not sure where more expereienced riders would rate it.

Latest Comments