Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle opinions

Budget of £70-90 (ish)

Selle Italia
Fizik
Selle San Marco

Have a Selle C2 at the moment and it's great, but recently acquired a new bike and cannot keep swapping it over. The CSN saddle I got with the bike wrecked my gentleman's vegetables...

So...

Flite
Arione
or Concor

Ready - set - GO!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

C2 did fine on my Blue Bike, but needed something a bit more bling for my new Stealth  1

robdaykin (not verified) | 11 years ago
0 likes

What's wrong with buying another C2? If you know it fits you, and it's inside your budget? Or am I missing something?

obutterwick | 11 years ago
0 likes

My Selle San Marco Ponza serves well, but only ever tried it with my bibs and VERY comfortable Nalini chamois. I could have been duped.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Should've gone Arione

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I looked at the romin on my tarmac and thought not sure I will get on with that but its been fine tbh.

MattT53 | 11 years ago
0 likes

According to the bike fit session I had last week, it's all about bar/hood angle rather than specific saddle type. I was fitted to an Arione which I'm getting on great with now (though I didn't with a dodgy bar setup a while back). I used to like Specialized Toupe's but I kept breaking them (and I know others who find the same).

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm currently on an Arione but I've found it does make the plums go numb. I've just bought a Toupe (saddle that is, rather than unconvincing hairpiece) for the perineal cut-out so that should improve things. As bashthebox says, definitely have your sit-bones measured so you don't end up with something too narrow or too wide for you. Also, as darranjoseph says, what works for one person will not necessarily work for you so try as many as you can until you find something comfortable.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I went for a Specialized Toupe, very light and comfy(ish). Some shops have a bum measuring pad to find the width of your sit bones, so if you can find one of those, give it a go.

andylul | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know it's an emotive subject - always felt more comfortable on a saddle with a cut out, and the Selle Italia I have is more or less perfect (if a little tatty)

New best bike demands a new perch, though - I guess I'm going shopping for a Flite  1

Thanks all

darranjoseph | 11 years ago
0 likes

Could agree with 37monkey more. I spent all of May testing saddles, personally I couldn't get on with the fi'zi:k, and preferred a sella italia (but not the one I initially liked the look of online).
The choice of saddle is a very personal decision and it depends on your backside, not clever marketing, sponsered cycling team or an online review.
I hope you find yourself something comfortable.

37monkey | 11 years ago
0 likes

ride test saddles, any shop, or for that matter saddle maker,worth their salt will have test saddles. I ride fi'zi:k but you have just asked the "how long is a piece of string" question  3

Latest Comments