Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

team GB rider

Sat outside a cafe in Didsbury this morning. A full english pre ride, a perfect start for a cyclist!  3

A rider in full GB kit on a Dogma 2 in team colours flies past!! I couldnt finish my black pudding quick enough to chase him down, he was heading towards the velodrome.

Anybody else see the pro's in or around Manchester?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

If they are wearing Team GB kit, riding a Pinarello, there is more than one of them, they are somewhere in or around Manchester and they are going faster than you then you can be sure they are the real deal. Ive only ever seen Wiggins once - he was on his own near Jodrell Bank. I think he mainly trains (when he isnt in tenerife) up near Chorley where he lives. Never seen Cav. My proudest cycling moment was keeping up with a couple of Team GB riders up a small hill. Once on the flat they were a dot in the distance within seconds but i was well chuffed regardless.
They all seem very nice people and more often than not give you the nod if you see them out on the road.

manxfelipe | 11 years ago
0 likes

I often go for a walk along Douglas promenade in the Isle of Man at lunchtimes and see the likes of Ben Swift & Peter Kennaugh in their full Team Sky kit which is pretty cool, but it always makes me wish I was like them and could be out riding my bike for a few hours rather than having to go back to the office!  4

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

I see Jess Varnish now and again. My wife is a GB triathlete .... does that count?  39

Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes

My son lives near Crewe and has seen Shanaze Reade several times. I've seen guys in GB kit on the Cheshire Cycleway near Knutsford, but I'm not clued up enough to recognise them. For all I know they're just keen sportsmen in replica kit.

Simon_MacMichael replied to Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:

For all I know they're just keen sportsmen in replica kit.

I kind of alluded to this in my post above - I reckon if they really look the part (in terms of how they're riding, rather than what they're wearing), it's highly unlikely that the national kit would have been shop-bought.

mancsi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Simon_MacMichael - I felt the same today wish I was looking the other way, he wasnt going an outrageous speed 25ish. It was a congested area aswell. Wish I was on my bike ready though haha.

Some Fella - Rather jealous of G's acknowledgement. I am gonna have to get myself to the coffee fix, itd be nice to have a chat with them, and not many other sports where training is open to the paying public to watch, or try to keep up for 30 seconds haha.

Some Fella | 11 years ago
0 likes

I see them at least once a week, all heading out when i drop the kids off at school in the morning. They come down through Withington then Gatley before heading out round Cheshire. Coffee Fix is a regular stop off for them on the way back in. If i can get out during the day i usually see them coming back about midday in as im dragging my fat ass out. Ive been overtaken by various Team GB riders on many occasions!
Chelford roundabout is usually a good place to spot them too. They all convene there and ive seen Ellingworth out there in the British Cycling team car.
Hang around the lanes of Cheshire or one of the main roads heading south out of Manchester and you are bound to see them.
Geraint Thomas even acknowledged my wave the other week.  4

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was outside the local cafe here in the Cotswolds at the start of the year when I looked up just in time to see a big group of riders hammering round the corner and out of view - saw enough to know it was Team Sky, it was around the time they were having their pre-season meet in W London, we'd be at the edge of a big loop out of there. Wish I'd been looking the other way and seen them come up the road, they were bombing.

Couple of weeks ago, also saw a guy flash past in GB kit on a TT bike - speed he was going suggested he'd earned the jersey, too quick to ID him though.

mancsi | 11 years ago
0 likes

I love a good pro cyclist spot!

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

not in Manchester but see Lizzie Armistead & Scott Thwaites quite a bit on the back roads of Otley

John_the_Monkey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yup. Coffee Fix in Gatley has quite a few drop in, and I used to see them now and then on Manchester Road, in Cheadle.

Latest Comments