Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dry mouth

Ok, I know this might sound stupid but whenever I ride recently, after about 5 minutes I start to suffer from a really dry mouth. As in tongue stuck to the roof type of dryness.

I always carry water but it doesn't quench it. Today I tried ignoring it the best I could and it eased after a while even though I didn't drink.

Anyone else suffer from this or know the reason for it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Another valid point.

Thanks.

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

There is a good old marathon rule:

"If you feel thirsty - its too late to drink"

Start drinking more earlier. Professional cardio-athletes acrually measure their sweat levels so they know the exact liquid loss/hour so they now how much to stip during the course of an hour.

*Maybe you drink to little water during the day?*

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

Also forgot to mention - the airwaves gum also helps clear the nasal passages,,,,, quite spectacularly...[( Don't ride in the slipstream of anyone who 'doses' up on the old airwaves is my motto, especially off road..

Regards

Trikeman.  3

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. Good to know I am not alone (or bonkers!) and hopefully have a cure now. Thanks again.

SounDaz_7 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I agree with Trikeman, chewing gum sorts the problem for me. I haven't tried airwaves yet but will give it a go.

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps try sucking a wine gum or something similar when you exercise, there was something like this in CW a few months ago.

Or you can pay a premium for Sprt Beans.

Jelly Beans with Sport.

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

I always used to 'suffer' from this, especially as the spring - summer starts. A mate recommended Airwaves chewing gum - the menthol opens the lungs a bit and the mouth dryness (in between the heavy panting on hills) gone due to the mouth watering taste and it being a gum.
May not work for everyone, but I find it great and have turned back a few times when I have forgotten it - I am reminded by the dry mouth..... Don't think there are any banned substances in it either  13

Hope it helps.
Regards

Trikeman.  3

charliegirl2008 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Maybe you need to try something other than water. Be a case of trial and error until you get it right. Sorry can't be of help.

russyparkin | 12 years ago
0 likes

odd, i get this when nervous but not on a ride

Latest Comments