Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spring Classics issue

Dave, Im worried about the Spring Classics: As a purist its pretty difficult to build a competitive line-up for 7 single races. We will just know whos racing at Milan-SanRemo when we have to choose our 9 riders. It might be a little late now, but hopefully you can change something about that. I'd highly appreciate it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes you would occur a 100 point penalty

fluffchucker | 11 years ago
0 likes

With the Tour of Flanders coming up, we still have the 4 free transfers rule.  22
However, as members of the team get greyed out, would this give us an extra free transfer?  39
Ergo, if we had all 9 greyed for next Classic race, we would incur 100 penalty points?  20

stewieatb | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ah, never mind, found the G-W thread.

stewieatb | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dave, how accurate is the current Gent-Wevelgem start list on the FC section? I need to pick today as I'm away for the weekend...

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

-----BEGIN HORSE

The spring classics are a single competition.

There are three unlimited transfer windows: one at the start and two while it's running.

purist rules state that you can make changes in any unlimited transfer window.

so, to play the spring classics as a purist, just make changes in those three windows

-----END HORSE

TheBigMong | 12 years ago
0 likes

Glad I caught this thread! This is my first year going for purity, and without it spelled out like in Noriko's post, I'd probably have gotten myself in trouble.

After some of the transfers/points opportunities I've willingly given up so far, I'd be pretty pissed if I went and eliminated myself from the purist league in the coming weeks!  20

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

No worries, i have most riders 2012 shots apart from Garmin  3

livestrongnick | 12 years ago
0 likes

20  102  45 aarggghhh gonna be in Egypt from 16th April till 26th April! nooooooooooooo  14
Classics up the swanny for me!!!

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yes; my cobblers will be very different from my ardennesers.

Thanks for the good work; team.

The game needs to work on its rider mugshots though.  4

dave atkinson replied to Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

only so many hours in the day  3

Gkam84 replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Would you like a zip file of as many riders mug shots as i can get?? Organised into folders for each team??

dave atkinson replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
dave_atkinson wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Would you like a zip file of as many riders mug shots as i can get?? Organised into folders for each team??

it's being done.

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a plan.

0 likes

okay. so how about making the two transfer windows that are 6 transfers (Gent and Amstel Gold) into unlimited windows and keeping the rest at four.

MSR kind of stands on its own, then you have two lots of three. they're still all counted as one comp.

arsene replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

okay. so how about making the two transfer windows that are 6 transfers (Gent and Amstel Gold) into unlimited windows and keeping the rest at four.

MSR kind of stands on its own, then you have two lots of three. they're still all counted as one comp.

Ok thats a good compromise. Thank u Dave for being so flexible.  1

orli replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

... so how about making the two transfer windows that are 6 transfers (Gent and Amstel Gold) into unlimited windows and keeping the rest at four [?]...

The only reason I would ask for more than 6 transfers and 4 transfers is that I don't know, if, like in a stage race, a pro team will keep its lineup the same for each of these races!  13

If they - the teams - aren't fielding the same team for all these races, and can and do (!) change their lineup at will, why should we limit transfers? They are bringing in new riders? Then let's have unlimited transfers! Set pool of riders? As in a stage race? Then (!) I'm ok with limiting transfers!  3 ... At least in a stage race you have a consistent pool of riders - they don't change!  4

I'd suggest unlimited transfers for all these races, since we can't guarantee a conistent pool. But, maybe I'm wrong, maybe they - the teams - do (!) field the same teams - same star riders - same domestiques! If they do, then I have no issue limiting transfers, but if they field different teams and there's no consistency in their lineups, why shouldn't we have unlimited transfers as they do?  3

drheaton replied to orli | 12 years ago
0 likes
orli wrote:

The only reason I would ask for more than 6 transfers and 4 transfers is that I don't know, if, like in a stage race, a pro team will keep its lineup the same for each of these races!  13

If they - the teams - aren't fielding the same team for all these races, and can and do (!) change their lineup at will, why should we limit transfers? They are bringing in new riders? Then let's have unlimited transfers! Set pool of riders? As in a stage race? Then (!) I'm ok with limiting transfers!  3 ... At least in a stage race you have a consistent pool of riders - they don't change!  4

The Pro teams will probably have a consistent classics squad that they'll use and they'll rotate their teams using riders in that squad. The difference here is the fantasy game only features the bigger races rather than all of them so in all the races for the fantasy comp the teams will pick their best riders and not rotate too much.

In respect of the main game I think 4 transfers really work because pro teams will be fairly consistent. Teams announce their riders well enough in advance for you to know roughly who'll be riding in the next two or three races so if you're worried about having to make enforced transfer just do some extra research.

Noriko replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

Sorry for being stupid, but does this mean I can pick 9 riders for Milan-San Remo;

then pick another 9 riders for Gent-Wevelgem/Tour of Flanders/Paris-Roubaix;

then pick another 9 for Amstel Gold/Fleche Wallonne/Liège-Bastogne-Liège?

arsene replied to Noriko | 12 years ago
0 likes
Noriko wrote:

Sorry for being stupid, but does this mean I can pick 9 riders for Milan-San Remo;

then pick another 9 riders for Gent-Wevelgem/Tour of Flanders/Paris-Roubaix;

then pick another 9 for Amstel Gold/Fleche Wallonne/Liège-Bastogne-Liège?

Exactly  16
I'm looking forward to compete with your Pukey Otter team. Good Luck  3

Noriko replied to arsene | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for confirming that, arsene.  1

Good luck to you too, not that you need it.  3

Huffy replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Erm, Dave,

Really sorry but I am still confused  13 and would like an answer from 'the horses mouth' so to say (not being rude).

We have a mini purist league, and I understand the tours, but the thread re the spring classics still confuses me  39 .

Am I right that ther are split into 3? -
The Italian One (Milan - San Remo)
The Very Bumpy Ones (Gent-Wevelgem, Tour de Flandres, Paris Roubaix)
The Other really knackering ones (Amstel Gold, Fleche-Wallonne, Liege-Bastogne-Liege).

And that we can pick a new team for each?

Thanks in advance for your assistance, I will let the troops know once clarified.

orli replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

... so how about making the two transfer windows that are 6 transfers (Gent and Amstel Gold) into unlimited windows and keeping the rest at four... MSR kind of stands on its own, then you have two lots of three...

About transfers... Gent is coming up. We have unlimited transfers for Gent, then we get 4 transfers for Flanders. Then 4 more for Roubaix, right?

Dave, what happens if I don't make any transfers for Flanders? Can I carry over the 4 transfers and have 8 transfers for Roubaix, or, as in the regular season, will I just carry two over? Which means if I make no transfers for Flanders, I'll have 6 transfers for Roubaix... Or do I lose the transfers if I don't use them and just be able to make 4 for Roubaix? Just thinking about the possibilities...  1

dave atkinson replied to orli | 11 years ago
0 likes
orli wrote:

Dave, what happens if I don't make any transfers for Flanders? Can I carry over the 4 transfers and have 8 transfers for Roubaix, or, as in the regular season, will I just carry two over? Which means if I make no transfers for Flanders, I'll have 6 transfers for Roubaix... Or do I lose the transfers if I don't use them and just be able to make 4 for Roubaix? Just thinking about the possibilities...  1

you can carry over a maximum of two transfers.

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't go as far as requesting unlimited transfers between every stage, I like that you need to pick a 'Classics Squad' as the pro teams will do, but the chance to significantly refresh your team mid-classics would be great and is really needed for purists.

fhoupg | 12 years ago
0 likes

I totaly agree with gkam84. There should be unlimited transfers after every single race.

Gkam84 replied to fhoupg | 12 years ago
0 likes
fhoupg wrote:

I totaly agree with gkam84. There should be unlimited transfers after every single race.

So you agree with me but disagree at the same time??

I'm not saying unlimited transfers, just a bit more flexible that just now, with maybe a mid classics unlimited period

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm not playing pursuit, but by grouping the classics, its making it into one big race, each should be treated as a separate race with the transfers between them reflecting this, not totally unlimited, more than just a couple here and there, because they are not stages in a race, you cannot just pick a couple of GC guys and then a couple of AR's, each race is different and therefore requires different types of riders

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I agree that as a part time purist it makes it very difficult to pick a team for a group of such disparate races over such a time-span. Last year for me at least it almost seemed to end up more luck than judgement with me striking it lucky on a couple of riders racing most classics and few just doing one or two.

I understand that for everyone else you don't want to drop an unlimited transfer window into the middle of classics season which might reduce the difficulty but it would be nice for purists to make some kind of change to their team in the month that runs from 17/3 for the Milan-San Remo to 22/4 and the Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

As a compromise I'd suggest swapping the 6 transfer window ahead of the Amstel for an unlimited one. That way you've still got to pick unchanging teams for 4 and 3 races at a time and the last three, the Amstel, Fleche Wallonne and Liege-Bastogne-Liege make for a sensible selection of races to pick riders for.

EDIT: Just thinking about it, for the window between the Paris-Roubaix and the Amstel I think most of the better normal (non-purist) teams wouldn't make more than 5-6 transfers anyway with or without an unlimited window so it could act as a help to purists and those who've not had the best start to the classics season allowing them to gain some ground.

0 likes

it certainly will be difficult. but there doesn't seem to be a big thread of +1s here. anyone else got any thoughts?

arsene | 12 years ago
0 likes

So is there any chance?

Latest Comments