Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The Cyclists greatest weapon

Calling mini-camcorder riders to submit footage that makes the case for the cyclist.

We are producing a pilot for television/education. Your footage must be your own. Prefer 5mp+

send to: producer [at] admangraphics.com.au

large files may be sent via you send it

https://www.yousendit.com/

Our wish list:-

You must be willing to submit to an interview which may be edited at the producers discretion

A brief description outlining the event

Any witness contact details

Address or google map ref

Your contact details

Contact details of other parties

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Lance Bumstrong | 10 years ago
0 likes

Videoing your every pedal stroke is unfortunately the move of the future. Although I personally do not have enough free space on my 1998 Dell to do the saving of countless hours in the saddle, it's not as though the thought had not crossed my mind. Having witnessed accidents during club rides, and having had various days when I was LUCKY to get home in one piece, I can see the value of recording.

So for those of you making a case for safer cycling, right/wrong in accidents, My word against theirs, this would be a good starting point. I can see no point in putting down a platform by which the stories are told..and by you.

That is unless- you want to start your own.
-Lance B.

pjay | 12 years ago
0 likes

Couldn't have put it better Dave.

Just so everyone knows, this thread was originally named 'Do Cyclists Have A Death Wish?' by the OP. The title has subsequently been edited.

notfastenough replied to pjay | 12 years ago
0 likes
pjay wrote:

Couldn't have put it better Dave.

Just so everyone knows, this thread was originally named 'Do Cyclists Have A Death Wish?' by the OP. The title has subsequently been edited.

Well that sheds a slightly different light on things!  23

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Helmut - the reason people are cagey is that there's a long and illustrious history of cyclists getting stitched up in this 'debate'. The facts are that there is no debate: motor vehicles are at fault for the vast majority of incidents between vehicles and cyclists. There's plenty of news stories on this site that link to such studies. People who are exclusively car users (the majority in the UK) make a lot of noise about the behaviour of cyclists, and I'm sure the situation is the same in OZ. but it's cars and lorries that kill people, and the stats show that cyclists are far more sinned against than sinning.

daviddb | 12 years ago
0 likes

snipping "" "You must be willing to submit to an interview which may be edited at the producers discretion"

Erm NO, if i'm going to give an interview, i'm not going to let anyone edit it just to suit their needs and twist what I say"" snipped.

Erm, I think that's just the way it is in the real world whether you are Mandy Rice-Davies ( not suggesting you have an alter-ego btw  1 ) or just being interviewed by a cub reporter at the end of a Heart Foundation fun ride. One gets no editorial control. Even with a job interview you have no control over the edit that makes the final long list short list thing.

But I'm strongly with the view that there is less validity in making a programme that is slanted all one way. So that's me whistling in the wind then!

Hey ho!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ok i'd suggest contacting some of the guys on youtube who put up footage quite often, i think they would be more willing to get on board as they already share alot of things online

Here are a couple to give you a look, the Silly Cyclists is a collection from a number of riders all over the world, including Australian  26

http://www.youtube.com/user/sillycyclists

http://www.youtube.com/user/CyclingMikey

Helmut | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify the intention of the programme.
I must admit I wasn't prepared to receive any negatives from this thread. I am calling for collaboration not exploitation.
As I cyclist myself I also am collecting footage to present the cyclists case as a road user. Each day I fear for my safety on the road. From motorists that simply don't see me, poor understanding of the rules through to the aggressive and abusive. I imagine I will eventually collect enough footage to demonstrate how dangerous a bike ride can be. This of course could take years, if I survive! So I am enlisting like minded cyclists to contribute.
Ideally it was the view that if we collected footage from across the globe and compared rider and motorist opinions would also highlight cultural differences.

Retrospectively I can identify with the distrust some have of the media. And this has already highlighted a cultural difference with UK riders and Aussie riders. The Aussies are enthusiastic about having our case heard. This topic it may be destined for educational purposes and/or to present to the roads council to highlight the plight of the cyclist and perhaps get legislators to review when making decisions.

As for editing.. that's a normal process and we can't guarantee everything you say is aired. So if your unsure don't submit anything that may be detrimental to our cause.

Helmut

Regards
Adam Herbert

pjay | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like a really balanced programme. Why don't you call it 'Are Motorists Murderers?' instead?

Gkam84 replied to pjay | 12 years ago
0 likes
pjay wrote:

Sounds like a really balanced programme. Why don't you call it 'Are Motorists Murderers?' instead?

I was waiting for others to comment before i said anything to see what guys said and your comment was basically what i thought

This thread would get much attention here just because of whats its called and this statement in it

"You must be willing to submit to an interview which may be edited at the producers discretion"

Erm NO, if i'm going to give an interview, i'm not going to let anyone edit it just to suit their needs and twist what i say

Latest Comments