Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best oil for chain?

Hello everyone as for a good oil for use on a chain? I'm hoping not to spend too much on the oil as my bike is a bit of a clunker.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Municipal Waste | 12 years ago
0 likes

A gool lube on a clunker would be Finish Line One-Step as it's a cleaner and a lube.

wyadvd | 12 years ago
0 likes

I used to use Chainl # 5. But now I just keep the bottle and top it up from a 5L bottle of halfords mineral gear oil which is identical (including the great smell !)

wd40 will wreck your chain

OldRidgeback | 12 years ago
0 likes

I clean my chain with WD40 or GT85, cloth and an old toothbrush and then apply the wax stuff I got for my motorbike. It's a little heavy duty for a road bike but is great for my racing BMX or for my mountainbikes. Because it's designed for a motorbike it sticks to the chain well but as long as you leave it to dry properly it doesn't accumulate crud and is very suitable for off-road use.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Happy using Green Oil. It's a wet lube so it does get dirty, but cleaning it off is easier than others I have tried (that goes for my fingers too). I try to degrease my chain as little as possible and have found that a few tiny squirts of WD-40 and lots of rubbing with an old t-shirt cleans it up nicely, ready for a fresh application of Green Oil.

LardLover | 12 years ago
0 likes

This is my fave at the mo:

//s.wiggle.co.uk/images/chain-l-no5-oil-med.jpg)

JB3264 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Having tried many different oils and waxes over the years I've settled on Purple Extreme for the good road bike and fixed, Finish Line Cross Country Wet lube for soggy, muddy rides with the MTB (the only type of mtb ride in a Scottish summer, I find) and Shimano Wet Lube for the Alfine Commuter and winter/ training road bike. Never apply too much, just a drop to each link. Degrease and clean chain after a couple or three applications. Might look at that Chain-L though.

marriott replied to JB3264 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I use cross country finish line brill stuff but the only downfall is that it tends to spray over your back wheel,saying that when i come to wash down the chain and cassett with muckoff it just comes off with no problems  1

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

This is a point many argue on.... After years of experimenting, measuring wear and usability in all conditions have come to the conclusion that applying oil myself is never as good as kmc chains come stock.
I want to know what oil the kmc chains come with as stock, appears to be lighter oil locked in with heavier outer oil, like the top pro mechanics do, i have tried no better chain (and lube) on single speed, road and mtb (use kmc sl9, sl10) anyone know what the mechanics, like contador's and kmc themselves use??? road cc team???

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

i used to use the Green Oil stuff, which is good but then i got some of that Chain-L, and that has got to be the best stuff going, lasts for ages. its eight squid for 4ozs. but seems to last for ever..http://www.chain-l.com/

hastings211 | 12 years ago
0 likes

For my mountain bike during the winter Part Tools Polylube 1000 grease is my preferred choice. During the summer (by summer I mean dry conditions and not the typically poor conditions we usually get) I use a GT85 spray.

For my road and commute bikes I use Polylube all year round.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

What kind of bike? road, mtb, fixie??

What kind of cycling do you do? i.e. commutes, sportives, just general rides??

Do you go out in all weathers?

There are so many oil's and lubes out there, you need to be a little more specific with what you use your bike for  26

But for me, Weldtite TD2 Plus dry lube/oil is my lube of choice

Latest Comments