Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shaved legs

My girlfriend asked me why grown men shave their legs to ride a road bike. I don't really know the correct answer, is it just to go faster or look pretty?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes

Some people say its so that wounds from crashes are easier to clean up, others say its so that massages dont hurt so much (pulling hair etc)...to be honest this may be true of the pro riders but I think cat riders do it to look the part...i would consider doing it to look the part but nobody needs to see my legs looking like that.

Tony Farrelly | 15 years ago
0 likes
DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

My name is DaSy and I'm a leg shaver...

I do it 'cos it looks nice, my legs look more defined which intimidates the opposition, but most importantly I get a much better tan on my legs without hair. This makes me at least look like I should be frighteningly quick on a bike....

VecchioJo | 15 years ago
0 likes

all of the above, and you can get into some humourously involved discussions with girls about shaving regimes, techniques and product, and you can piss off your girlfriend when your legs are better than hers.

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

I found myself getting all indignant about the latest ladies razor on the telly the other day, as it had 5 blades and I maintain that 3 is best, as it doesn't clog so easily with the coarser leg hairs. My wife just sighed and gave me a look of despair?

And yes, I do love it when I have just shaved and she hasn't.

Also love that weird feeling when you first put on your jeans or get into bed after freshly shaving your legs, kind of electric shock feeling....errr....or is that just me?

matrs | 15 years ago
0 likes

Lycra shorts look s@it with hairy legs.

Denzil Dexter replied to matrs | 15 years ago
0 likes
matrs wrote:

Lycra shorts look s@it with hairy legs.

In your opinion. I've never shaved or felt the need to shave

TRs Blurb n Blog | 15 years ago
0 likes

has any one tried an epilator?

0 likes

Yes, it hurt so I stopped

TRs Blurb n Blog | 15 years ago
0 likes

I thought as much.

0 likes

When I say 'tried' my girlfriend attacked me with it so I could 'feel what it was like' and have a demonstration of why women have a higher pain threshold etc etc.

I married her… well she threatened to get the epilator out again.

smilzo | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'm with matrs. Seeing hairs poking through Lycra just looks gross!

Hammy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Maybe you're looking too closely  39

Lantern rouge | 15 years ago
0 likes

I'v found the best way is to use an electric shaver first to get rid of the long hairs and then finish it off with a wet shave, and then use a wet shave every two weeks or so.

0 likes

Surely it doesnt look better to shave your legs if you have pasty, pale legs like mine! The hairs add some colour!

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

That's the point Jon, once you shave them you'll be amazed at how good a tan you get.

All the years I spent MTBing, I never shaved and never got a tan, despite doing as many miles, and probably more hours out on the bike than my road riding nowadays.

Since shaving my legs, I have a crazily good tan up to my shorts line, and two great half moons on the backs of my hands!

Yesterdays ride in the Beacons has actually made my legs go pretty dark now, this summer is going to be amusing, as I never sunbathe, so my body always remains very white, just tanned legs, arms and backs of my hands...ummmm...fetching!

0 likes

We'll just make sure you use plenty of sunscreen. I have to see a dermatologist once a year and I'm not the only cyclist on his books. Most, not me btw, are there with sun related problems (all roadies too).

Your starter for 10, where is the most common place for cyclists to get skin cancer?

VecchioJo | 15 years ago
0 likes

Eastbourne?

0 likes

I'll re-phrase that for the pedantic: which is the most common part of the body for cyclists to develop a melanoma on?

Although I admit, that as Eastbourne is the sunniest place in the UK cyclists around there should be particularly careful

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Judging by my knees, I'd have to say...errrr....knees?

0 likes

It's the back of your calves - often higher up. If you think about it on a road bike they are the bits of your leg that are pointing up at the sun but also often the bits that you are least likely to put much sunscreen on.

SimpleSimon | 15 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm, I once got my legs and arms waxed to raise extra money for a sponsored bike ride - £500 went to the charity and I won the prize for the best legs!
It was a weird feeling after that, cos you lose a lot of sensation due to lack of hair movement. You dont feel the wind so much.
Beware of hair removing cream, especially if you get it in the wrong place!!

0 likes

yeah thats a point, where is the 'line' to stop shaving?!

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Just above the shorts line is standard, but I do shave further up the front, back and outside of my thighs too.

Just leave the insides of your thighs well alone, stuble there is not a good thing...

0 likes

these are the dilemmas im facing...my girlfriend thinks im mad for even listening to you guys who do this!

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

My wife was mortified when I first started shaving my legs...

She now ranks cyclists in order of serious-ness by shaved legs first, tan second and finally lack of nodding head.

I've trained her well...

VecchioJo replied to Jon Burrage | 15 years ago
0 likes
Jon Burrage wrote:

yeah thats a point, where is the 'line' to stop shaving?!

i could draw the line on my legs with Magic Marker and take a picture if you wanted

0 likes

I feel I have taken this conversation to a place nobody wants to go....I apologise!

Fringe | 15 years ago
0 likes

if you 'race' i can understand shaving as it seems to be the done thing..but if you dont is it just vanity? i only ask because i often consider it...(i dont race btw)

Denzil Dexter replied to Fringe | 15 years ago
0 likes
Fringe wrote:

if you 'race' i can understand shaving as it seems to be the done thing..but if you dont is it just vanity? i only ask because i often consider it...(i dont race btw)

That's pretty much my feelings on the subject. I don't race and I'm not interested in doing the done thing, I'm interested in riding my bike, end of. I certainly resent the inference that because I don't shave my legs I'm somehow a lesser rider.

Pages

Latest Comments