Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Synapse or Cervelo R3?

HI, hope someone can help me? I have been searching for a new bike and after much searching it has come down to a Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra or a Cervelo R3 (frame). Im looking for a bike weight of about 15lb which the Cervelo would be,(with the right equipment), but the Cannondale comes in at 17lb. I know that replacing the wheels with something like the Mavic R-SYS would shave several ounces, but having a hard time trying to find the proper advise. Im looking for a bike that would be comfortable for 100 mile sportives, and tours, but would not be a slouch when pushed... Can anyone help me???

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

cool guy 999 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Not knowing much I would find myself going for the R3, just for the feeling that thor hushvod rides something similar

rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ref the Cannondale Synapse: If the seatstays on Carbon Synapse are similar to those on Alloy one, I don't think you can add regular mud guards and racks that you may need for touring.

Is a great bike for sportives though. However, if it is sportives you are looking for and are willing to spend in that range, why not look at the Specialized Roubaix Elite SL2 or Cannondale SuperSix?

Barry Fry-up | 12 years ago
0 likes

Touring on an R3? maybe i'm thinking of the wrong kind of touring  4

15lb is superbike light, you're unlikely to find much in that kind of weight range wearing ultegra. You *could* build the R3 up into a 15lb bike, but the same is true of the synapse; there's only a couple of hundred grams difference in the frame.

my advice would be to not get hung up on the weight and go for the one you like the most, if you can get to try both. there's any number of other options too, but if those are your two finalists then the R3 is a race bike and the Synapse is a sportive bike, and it sounds like you want to do sportives.

Latest Comments