Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road biking in Wales?

Hi all iv got some free time and what to go to Wales on my road bike where is the best plas to go

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Wales is quite big (and particularly hilly) so it might help if you narrow it down a bit.

And don't forget your passport  3

Swirly | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd go where the weather is good, most places are fantastic but would be pretty grim in bad conditions. I know the North best and would recommend basing yourself somewhere around LLangollen/Denbigh that will give you access to a lot of the hard climbs in that area e.g. Penbarras, Horseshoe Pass, Road to Hell, Bwlch-y-Grose etc. if the weather is really good you can ride west into Snowdonia (spectacular scenery, climbs generally aren't as hard but can be longer). Also the LLangollen area is in the Snowdonia rainshadow so can get better weather than further west, you could also head East into the Cheshire hills (I know this is out of Wales) which are more rolling and not as high.

That's the only area I know well and it's great but I have no doubt other peoples suggestions would be just as good.

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

a whole week riding in Wales, lucky you. as Lewskidub say's Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains are great. sadly thats pretty much my knowledge of riding in Wales as i suspect there are many great routes/places further a field, oh and the Gower is good too.

enjoy.

Sexy dex replied to Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

thanks m8 will let you know how it is

lewskisdub | 12 years ago
0 likes

You should try anywhere around the Rhondda Valleys,Ogmore Valleys which climbs over the Bwlch mountain (apparently the highest road in the UK Ive heard), the rhigos mountain is further over which then continues to the Brecon Beacons and the black mountains. All very nice. I recommened these as I cycle them regulary but there are so many nice areas around the coast too

Latest Comments