Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Snake Oil & Superstitions

My riding has increased 'immeasurably' over recent months. I put this down to two significant changes in the way I prepare for my rides - 1) every morning throughout the week I prepare and drink a large glass of fresh beetroot, carrot and celery juice, and 2) I have begun to religiously put on right sock on before my left, my right shoe before my left, and my right glove before my left.

It is possible that one of these actions is having more impact than the other, but I'm not prepared to stop either for fear of losing my current velo-mojo.

Does anyone else have scientifically unproven or hair-brained routines that they can no longer ride well without? Or is it just me?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Low Speed Wobble | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've heard some riders say they'll never shave the morning before a time trial, and never change the bar tape the night before a race. Mine is to never carry my bike through a door backwards.

oilymoyle | 12 years ago
0 likes

Simonmb, yes it does and your poo too! BTW, beetroot juice tastes nothing like the pickled stuff - even better just eat cooked beetroot - great with ham and poached egg!

farrell | 12 years ago
0 likes

When I think of Beetroot juice, I always think of the purple coloured vinegar you get in a jar of pickled Beetroot.

To be fair, I quite like that, though I doubt I'd be drinking it in any quantity in the mornings.

simonmb | 12 years ago
0 likes

Beetroot juice, I've read, can increase stamina during sports activity. This is not yet proven without doubt, although my anecdotal evidence appears to support the claim. I've also read that it turns one's pee pink - this I can categorically confirm  13

mad_scot_rider | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm - as far as pre-ride tips go, I'd say always make time for a loo visit is at the top of my list

Other than that I have two cups of warm coffee and nothing else in the mornings before my commute

I'm not saying it's great for performance - but I have noticed if I'm rushed and skip the coffee I suffer for it

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Crikey beetroot, carrot and celery… no wonder you get a spurt on. Sorry.

The only consistent part of my pre-ride routine that I've been able to maintain is not actually giving myself enough time to prepare for a ride, hence a lot of rushing around looking for stuff that I could have found the night before, nearly always resulting in leaving without some vital piece of equipment and stuffing any old bit of food/energy gel/bar into a pocket and rushing out the door.

I can't say whether it improves performance or not but the food part of my preparations means I'm always in a hurry to get to the first cake break… mind you I probably would be if I'd had a beetroot, carrot, and celery juice before setting out too.

Latest Comments