Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear Gear Cable

Good afternoon all

My first post on here, although I've been lurking on and off for ages. I was wondering if anyone could offer advice please.

I snapped the cable for the rear gears on my Giant SCR2 so I've got a replacement cable. Can I figure out how to fit it ... no ... so could any one help me? It broke at the barrel right at the shifter. There are a few frayed strands sticking out. I was gonna try do it myself to save cost and also to learn a bit about my bike.

I did try a couple of you toob sites but the shifters are different and I am battling to get a match...

Cheers

Comrade

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

glad to hear its fixed and well done - it takes a big man to go to a bike shop and admit he needs help!

Comrade | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your help all. I'm back in the saddle again! I got it fixed at the bike shop. The problem was that I never actually got the shifter into the highest gear, thats why it was not in view!

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

the cable feeds through into the shift unit through a port that's normally on the opposite side of the STI to the exit. on some shifters it's hidden under the rubber hood, on others there's a cover. if you you shift the small sprocket position then you should be able to see the swaged end nestling in the hole, and you should also be able to push it through by pushing the frayed bits back into the STI; use a pair of long-nosed pliers if you can't get a decent grip.

Comrade | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Dave

It is the STIs. But what I'm struggling with...I can't see the swaged end of the cable, just a small amount (1/4 inch) of frayed strands on the outboard part of the shifter!!

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

which shifters are you running?

assuming they're shimano STIs the first thing to do is shift down to the smallest cog position, as that's the position where you replace the cable. the cable goes through a port in the lever (in different places for different units) so once you've shifted down you should be able to poke what's left of the cable back through the unit.

Comrade | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks thehatter, I'll take a look!

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried the Park Tools website ?
or alternatively the Shimano site should have the instructions as a pdf? (same for Campagnolo)

Latest Comments