Seat post slippage

by nellybuck@msn.com   April 14, 2011  

The seat post on my commuter refuses to stay put; it continually slides down into the seat tube after a couple of km of riding.

it's the original seat post that came with the bike, and has only started relatively recently, but is getting really annoying now as it prevents me taking the bike on any longer rides as I'd be stopping every few minutes to readjust it.

Any ideas?

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I'm assuming it's the right size for the bike and you're tightening up the seatpost bolt, a couple of other things you could try are:

1) Pace's excellent carbon composite shield grease, which contains particles to grip components together and stop them slipping;
2) A shim cut from a coke can

the pace grease you can get at http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26768

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7492 posts]
14th April 2011 - 8:57

0 Likes

You're using the right size seat clamp?

posted by j1mmy76 [65 posts]
14th April 2011 - 9:18

0 Likes

Coke-can shim! I can attest to its continuing usefulness, having an old Peugeot frame which no modern seatpost will fit. After a couple of comedy chin-on-the-top-tube moments I found three coke-can wraps to be perfect for me.

Be brave and good luck!

posted by PlatosCarriage [4 posts]
14th April 2011 - 9:56

0 Likes

+1 for assembly paste stuff with plastic particles. The increase in friction is amazing.

For your seatpost, clean out the inside of the seat tube first. I used a bit of rag pushed inside a loop on the end of some thick wire.

two wheels good; four wheels bad

posted by cat1commuter [1376 posts]
14th April 2011 - 13:57

1 Like

Thanks guys, will give that paste a go. It is the original seat post and clamp; the only thing I can think of is that I may have damaged something when I crashed quite heavily last year.

posted by nellybuck@msn.com [156 posts]
14th April 2011 - 15:17

0 Likes