Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Defy Specs?

Am I missing something? The 2011 models appear to be poorer spec than 2010 ones? EG Defy2 2010 Tiagra shifters, 2011 Sora shifters also lower spec seatpost, is this a Cadbury job; same price but lower spec?

If I have asked a silly question sorry, I must be silly!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

karpkg | 13 years ago
0 likes

When we talk about GIANT bikes, I think that frames are the best parts of bikes, often combined with very poor equipment. A few days ago, I bought a new TCR 1 triple just because couldn't found naked frame, put DA 7800 on them and now selling original triple mechanics. Quite same for Defy's.
Must say, I'm just fascinated with these frames. For example, tapered oversized two diameters aloy steerer in this lowcost range, its just unseen.

petescales | 13 years ago
0 likes

Looking again I see this year there is a 1,2,3&4 rather than last years 2,3,3.5&4 so bikes are moving up/down the range, local shop has a Defy2 2010 for £625 sale price which seems a far better deal than a 2011 one, still amazes me what some second hand ones make on Ebay!

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

It's not unusual at all, a lot of it is down to exchange rates and also supply - in recent years the strong pound fed back down the supply chain to buy better components, the pound isn't so strong any more + when manufacturers are speccing their models for different markets I'm guessing they have to take a punt on what level the local currency will be at in relation to the currency they are buying raw materials and components in and paying for shipping - that'll be dollars in the main, but not exclusively so. They probably also have to try and work out what their competitors will be doing so they don't end up with a range of bikes that's way out of line on price or spec with similar rivals.

simonmb | 13 years ago
0 likes

Not a silly question. I haven't looked at Giant specifically, but this practice is not unusual and I think is more prevalent amongst entry-level bikes where competition is fiercest and margins are pretty tight in the first place  2

Latest Comments