Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bikeradar forum... what happened there then?

Just been to have a look on there and the forum is down for the weekend... what's that all about then eh?

Have the Lance Armstrong and Alberto Contador threads finally gone too far?  39

Or is it just "system maintenance"

Interesting and it will be good to see a bit more traffic coming through the forums on here as a result perhaps.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

jamesfifield | 13 years ago
0 likes

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/bikeradar-forum-update-29392

16,000,000th post and it all went FUBAR. Oh well, it's back now!

James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes

First name terms with Mr Jones then!!

Interesting.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes
dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

That's not an argument, that's just contradiction  1

step-hent | 13 years ago
0 likes

I think the comments section does reduce the forum traffic, but since the comments are then used like a forum it balances out. A lot of the Bikeradar forum posts are essentially started with comments about news stories, and they then diversify into wider discussions.

Much the same thing happens on road.cc, but I'd agree with robert.brady that the road.cc forum has less arguing for the sake of entertainment. I quite like a good argument now and again, but if I want that I'll go elsewhere - I like the more constructive discussion on here, plus I can post from work (whereas bikeradar is caught by the internet filters).

KirinChris replied to step-hent | 13 years ago
0 likes
step-hent wrote:

I quite like a good argument now and again

No you don't.

robert.brady | 13 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps, but that would suggest that people see this site simply as a source of news rather than as a community, which is what a good forum can build up.

Rob

0 likes

The comments section works so well on the site and gets used so extensively that you could maybe say the forum suffers ?

Super Domestique replied to James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes
jimmythecuckoo wrote:

The comments section works so well on the site and gets used so extensively that you could maybe say the forum suffers ?

I must say I agree. As someone who has used forums for cars and mtbs in the past, I hoped to find this forum would do the same for my road bike hobby.

robert.brady | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to use this forum more as I think it could be a "nicer" forum as opposed to the arguments and name calling that can break out on other forums I use. However I get a quicker response to questions on Bike Radar, so if I've got a problem with my bike I'll go there.

I like the idea of Tweeting forum posts, but maybe the forums need to be more prominent on the home page of the site?

Just my tuppence worth.

Rob

simonmb | 13 years ago
0 likes

Oh  7 And there I was hopin' you'd expand a little on your conspiracy theory  39

0 likes

Hopeful that some people might migrate over here and add some more to this forum.

0 likes

still down....

simonmb replied to James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes
jimmythecuckoo wrote:

still down....

Why the fascination?

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'd say it's more likely maintenance than anything else. I would have thought if there were any threads they were really nervous about they would simply pull them rather than take down the whole forum. I suppose something could have happened that requires them to go back in painstaking detail over some very big threads and possibly edit out some things rather than take the whole thread down and risk loving the traffic it generates… but then why have the forum up as read only in that case.

Velo Rapide replied to Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Oh FFS! I can't believe it's still down!

I sent an e-mail to Jeff today and he explained that the web site had grown too big. They were trying to move files around, or between servers and it hadn't worked.

He promised the forums would be up again this afternoon, but it clearly hasn't happened  20

Latest Comments