Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle position question

Id usually class myself as an endurance rider prefering 40-120 mile rides.
I went for a bike fit recently just to check if there were any tweaks that could improve my positioning and one of the things they said was my saddle was quite far foreward compared to the 'norm'.
Ive not really had any pains or discomfort, but I am aware that I use my quad muscles more so I looked in to the fore/aft position setup. Some sites advocate the KOPS method whereas others use more complex methods or simply set up to how it feels.
I going to try having my saddle further back (with a shorter stem) to see if I can use my Glutes more but I do wonder why TT riders do so well with their saddles so far forwards.

Whats your thoughts good folks?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Nick T | 4 years ago
0 likes

Don't try a shorter stem straight away, just put the saddle back and see. A saddle too far forward can push your CoG forward which puts more strain on your hands and arms, if you can get the saddle back far enough and the bars forward enough, while remaining "central" to the BB, you will find you put less weight on either and more on the pedals

dave atkinson | 4 years ago
0 likes

TT bikes normally have a steeper seat tube and a forward saddle position to open up your hip angle a bit when you're riding in a low position. it's a bit like your whole body rotating clockwise a bit

bechdan replied to dave atkinson | 4 years ago
0 likes

I can picture this better now, thanks Dave

Latest Comments