Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

"Race" vs "Endurance" bike for my style of cycling?

So I am lining up to get a new road bike this year and would appreciate some real-world practical advice as to choices. I am a reasonably fit 67 year old man, currently riding a 25 year old steel-framed race bike (Argos Racing Cycles) that weighs around 10.5 kgs, Campy groupset with 50/34 and 11-30 cassette. I do mostly 25-35 mile rides, alone, with partner and friends,  or on short club runs. No real off road stuff (occasional cycle tracks/ ex-railway or canal paths).   No racing/TT. I am reasonably flexible for my age. I am looking for a bike that will keep me smiling, get me up the hills (so compact chainrings and cassette with 32 or even 34), light, responsive but not too twitchy.  I rented an older version Trek Domane in France last year (first time I had ridden carbon, and loved it), so something like that is a starting point.  Manufacturers” “blurb” tends to steer me towards "Endurance” bikes like the Madone, but I was wondering whether something lighter and more towards the “race” spectrum might be better for me, considering that I have no ambitions to do more than 50 miles at most on a ride, and like to take on hills (and descend them!) with as much alacrity as age, courage, fitness and ability allow! So, for example, would a Trek Emonda be more suitable than a Trek Domane  (also looking at Cannondale, Giant, etc.) Any advice/suggestions ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Canyon48 | 4 years ago
1 like

Hi Ned,

I have both a "race" and "endurance" bike - I use them for slightly different things and, although they are very similar to the untrained eye, they are actually reasonably different and both excel at slightly different things.

My "race" bike, Canyon Ultimate, is lighter and more aero than my "endurance" bike. It's also set up in the most aggressive position I can get the bike and has deep-section wheels. It's also got skinny (25mm) tyres, narrower bars and lighter-weight components all round. It's set up for speed and it goes fast - I love it.

My "endurance" bike, Whyte Wessex, is a little heavier and has less deep wheels, the components all round are just a little heavier and a little more rugged/versatile, such as slightly wider tyres and a slightly bigger cassette. It's not as fast, but it's much less fatiguing to ride day in day out when I'm not riding flat out (I use it for commuting), it also has the benefits of taking mudguards and wider tyres in addition to having more gears for taking it steady up steep climbs. It's also a brilliant bike that I love riding.

It's also worth pointing out that I can set up my "race" bike more "endurancey" and I can set up my "endurance" bike more "racey" - they'd be very little in it if they had the same components and I played about with the bar position a bit.

For what it's worth, my view is that a "race" bike is for going fast and is willing to sacrifice a little bit of comfort and a little bit of versatility. An "endurance" bike is for a bit more comfort and versatility and is willing to sacrifice a little bit of speed.

Tim Walker | 4 years ago
0 likes

Most of the "race" marketed bikes sold to the consumer mass market offer a more relaxed geometry than the high modulus carbon versions used by Pros so I wouldn't read too much into it. You can definitely ride a "race" bike as an "endurance" bike and vice versa. Comfort is subjective, test  a few options at different shops and go by what feels right for you.

For example, my riding could be described as "endurance" rather than racing. HoweverI ride an Emonda ALR which is marketed as a race bike. I compared it to a Carbon Domane SL and noticed no difference in compliance, while it was also lighter despite being alloy. They both have extremely similar geometries and you could get the positions exactly the same with small changes to stems/bars/etc. if you so wanted. I personally consider it an excellent bike for endurance riding because of it's simplicity and compliance. In my opinion 28 mm tubeless tyres, a good quality frame that's properly set up, and a carbon seatpost post do far more for comfort on a bike than all these proprietary micro suspension gizmos built into frames. All they do is add weight and complicate servicing. 

Good luck in your search!

Tim

Stratman | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'd try and ride a couple and see what you like best.  I've enjoyed my Giant Defy ('endurance' geometry). I was able to hire one from the Giant store beside Rutland Water for an extended test ride, and I'm sure that other places would do the same.

mtbtomo | 4 years ago
0 likes

Get something that puts the contact points in a similar position to the bike you've currently got? Sure, top tubes slope a bit more now, more seat post showing, different length stems, but if you get yourself in the same position then the reduced weight and improved performance will be there regardless.

When I change my set up to more upright (endurance), I actually find it more uncomfortable than a longer lower stretched position.

I wouldn't worry about the marketing badge, Emondas, TCRs, Super Six's etc etc are all comfy/compliant enough nowadays and also starting to take wider tyres. Nothing will be that fragile that you can't take it along a canal towpath or cinder track either

Mathemagician | 4 years ago
0 likes

Get a bike fit. 

Mr Pennington | 4 years ago
0 likes

You may get opinions chosing one or the other. Enduramce geometry will put you in a  more upright riding position with a longer head tube. Race is more aero as the head tube is shorter. Go to a couple LBS and ride a few bikes - endurance and race. You will know after the rides the type of bike you want.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

My first thought would be for a more endurance geometry as flexibility tends to get worse as you age. Being in a more comfortable position can mean that you'd be able to go quicker than if you're more cramped. That said, you may well find a racing position to be a lot of fun, so you're going to have to try them out to see which one makes you smile more.

David9694 | 4 years ago
0 likes

You sound like an Endurance bike candidate to me.  If you keep the Argos, you've still got the option for a turn of speed on a dry day.

Latest Comments