Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike advice

Hi, just going to purchase a new bike and I’m torn between two. Both at the price I’d be comfortable paying. The first is a Raleigh Mustang Comp, which seems to tick every box and is currently on sale, but the other is the Sonder Camino Al Apex hydraulic which is slightly cheaper and again on sale.  The main advantage of the Raleigh I’d thru axles rather than QR on the Sonder. The bikes will be used daily and through winter. I’d really like to hear from anyone who has any experience of either of these bikes  or possible suggestions of alternatives. Thanks in advance. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Graham1626 | 4 years ago
0 likes

I’m at Alpkit now having a look. The QR issue won’t be a deal breaker if the bike is right. 

quiff | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm similarly torn between a Genesis CdF
30 and a Temple Adventure Disc. The Genesis has a thru axle frame and fork, the Temple has QRs but better overall spec, for a bit less £. Despite already having one and a half bikes with non thru axle disc brakes (one has TA front and QR rear) which I've never had an issue with, I'm still irrationally hesitant about buying the QR frame.

Mungecrundle | 4 years ago
0 likes

All my bikes are on QR and I cannot say that I am aware of any intrinsic problem with them as a way of securing a wheel to a frame. At least for the measly power output I can make. Thru axles are sexier but I'm not sure I'd make them a deciding factor.

bikercat | 4 years ago
0 likes

The Sonder has really positive user reviews but the lack of thru axles and x1 drivetrain would put me off. Have you considered Evans Cycles? Pinnacle Arkose, either the R or D range would meet your needs. The D2 model for example comes with Tiagra hydraulic brakes and clearance for wide tyres for winter use. £1025. Did 6000 miles in first year of owning a Pinnacle Pyrolite with no issues. Only improvement would be hydraulic braking.

Trek Checkpoint ALR4 (Tiagra) on offer at £1250 in several stores look appealing as well. The ALR5 with 105 has great reviews.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

Wiggle has 2020 GT bikes on sale.
Alloy, carbon fork, wide stays on 700c37 tan wall.
Hydraulic discs on Shimano Claris 2*8.

Reading possible suggestions..
I don't know bikes well. Umm. Bias having had a GT. 8 speeds are awesome regarding ease of use. Cheap cassettes.
I see road riding via a commuting prospective,
Not all smooth roads, gutter hopping, wheel locking, get home and don't do any maintenance. Sort of.

Edit. There's a few there. I don't understand through axles. 2*9 sora mentions 12mm through axles on 700c28.
Best luck bro.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Xena | 4 years ago
3 likes

I think you will find that both these bikes have issues with mice in the down tube . It’s a common problem . The way to sort this issue Is  to take off the bottom bracket ,I’d recommend a axle grinder and a sledge hammer. Once you have access to the hole in the tubing of the down tube tubing below the top tubing but not near the rear seat stays  ,no mice roam wild in your seat stays unless it’s a Trek.  You  now can set about trying to tempt the mouse out of the down tube tubing . The first thing is to Tie the frame with a rope and swing it violently above and around  your head and  remember to smash the frame against the wall  after 1 - 3 hours of swinging you must now submerge the frame in adamantium of madupheliumoxide . Now you must listen  out for squeaks , if you still hear squeaks then the mouse has survived this onslaught and if I was you i would consider at this point running away as that is one mean mothur fucking mouse. If on the other hand there is no squeaking then the chances are the issue has been resolved . Get some gorilla tape and stick your bottom bracket back on . Your wheels may also need truing . Lay the wheels down gently on the floor   like if you were about to make love to your wife or dog  and jump on it until it “ looks straight to me”  again like you would to your wife or dog . Good luck with your purchase. 

Graham1626 | 4 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply. I’m in the UK so it’s not really an option but looks excellent value. 

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

https://www.bikebug.com/argon-18-go-road-bike-105-black-p-93532.html

Don't know if you're Australian nor do I know the quality of these.
$1100 full carbon, 105
Large frames sold out, 3 smaller sizes selling. Xtrasmall, Small, medium.

Latest Comments