Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman Carbon Bikes

39 Having just returned to cycling after a couple of decades absence - bought new Boardman carbon bikes by mail order. Mine is lovely and shiny white, but other half's is a dull, cloudy black, well, grey in places, uneven lacquer finish. Halfords have told me this is normal, and the bike has been ridden, and now cannot be exchanged unless it is faulty. I do not have a Halfords store nearby, so could other owners plse tell me is this a normal feature, or could it indeed have a faulty finish?
cheers.  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

I think the odd bit of paint would prevent a few bikes being sent back for a refund so it may be worth a bit of brush and pea soup green here and there  19

I remember taking delivery of a carbon frame, box was thrown out by the delivery driver's van and had a black footprint (luckily I was in the garage DIY'ing and saw this.

Told him to take it back. Thing is if I didn't see him, or carbon frames are painted would be notice delivery damage? Ti frame please.

Sometimes we can just get a bit too OCD on everything and life is too short but safety first -OCD again whoops!

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

i was more worried that the finish was 'uneven', i took this to mean 'lumpy'

if the finish of the bike is smooth and you can see odd artefacts below the lacquer, well that's pretty normal for a Carbon bike. Indeed, when we were talking to Ribble at the Cycle show they were umm-ing and aah-ing about whether to paint their new TT bike for precisely that reason: the frame was fine, but it looked a bit odd.

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hi Debs,

The black carbon will have the same marks as your white carbon frame - you can't see it though- as it is white.

The Boardman frame in black will have some white marks here and there from the glue and carbon and the top tube can be flawlessly plain black or not.

There might be some stress marks here and there but it should be fine. The rear stay that meets the seat tube (rear triangle) has 3 angles and 3 planes.

These are notorious for having white marks and visual weaving -it is quite normal.

If you find the white marks are very bright instead of dull white/grey and feels soft or creaks badly then take it to a Halfords with someone who knows about the bike for a inspection and look at the display model so you don't have to panic.

I know people who have crashed their boardmans and still ride it -you can't see the internal cracks but you will hear creaks if it never creaked after a smash.

So if you never crash, Halfords say its fine then don't worry.

I bet your white frame has as many white marks -you just can't see them - so relax and enjoy your riding.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

be interested to see pics of the finish if you can post them, doesn't sound normal.

Latest Comments