Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Women and Cycling

While flicking through the BBC News website this article from Northern Ireland popped up in regards to low levels of women who cycling in the province mainly for simply getting about. And I’m sure we could all provide reasons for why so few women take to two wheels  

The second half was about a lady called Isabel Clements who like Beryl Burton came to cycling late and went on to set several records most of which are still standing. The thing that stood out for me was the comradare she talked about when on club runs.  Loved the comment at the beginning that you were encouraged to wear black so you didn’t stand out when on the road! H&S would have a fit!!

heres the link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47901262

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

But then that would mean that none of those bicycle owning children had used them in the past 28 days.

I demand statistical consistency.

Spangly Shiny | 4 years ago
0 likes

Or children perhaps?

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
2 likes

I love stuff like this! I showed it the kids, and got the response - “ what were the others- bears?”

ktache | 5 years ago
1 like

Great article, always great to encourage everyone to cycle, but 

"About a third said they owned one. Of those, 39% were men, and 24% were women.

Of those who had cycled in the previous four weeks, 69% were men, compared to just 31% who were women."

Only one of these manages to add up to 100%.   ?

janusz0 replied to ktache | 5 years ago
3 likes
ktache wrote:

Of those who had cycled in the previous four weeks, 69% were men, compared to just 31% who were women."

I'm 110% certain that almost no one understands percentages;)

ConcordeCX replied to ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

ktache wrote:

Great article, always great to encourage everyone to cycle, but 

maybe some of the participants hadn't artificially lowered their testosterone levels enough to complete the survey in accordance with the recent CAS ruling.

Latest Comments