Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cateye Volt 800 vs Knog PWR Rider

Dear community, 

I have done some research and ended upo with the choice of these two lights. What is your experienbce with any of them? What are trhe practival suggestions?

I am going to use it for my Specialized Diverge Sport carbon 2015. Want to always go light, will not do night rides, but want to have the light for return trips.

Design oif Knog is more interesting and it is also ligher. 

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Legs_Eleven_Wor... | 5 years ago
0 likes

Another fan of Cateye here.  I have 2 x Volt 800.  As someone else said, don't point them at other road users as they're insanely bright.

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Bags, weight? Seriously it's a light. The heaviest thing on your bike will be you, by a country distance. If you're considering the weight rather than brightness, run time, charge options etc. then you should be asking your team manager or bike mechanic crew what their preferred option is... 

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

David, I bought it last winter and used it about 5 times, my daughter has used it about 6 times as a battery pack for her phone. Drop me an email at with your address, if you are happy with it we will sort payment out later.

Sorry folks, we have already agreed on the sale. 

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Nobody tempted to make me a silly offer (£25?) for the Knog before I put it on eBay? It’s going on the next free listing day otherwise. 

david.hnilica replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

@Welsh boy : just seen Your post while checking lights reviews. I was aiming for the lower PWR Rider / Commuter, but wouldn't mind the Trail either for similar price. So long as it's not much older than 6 months (sorry, battery life concerns) and You don't mind mailing to France, I'd be in. 

Let me know the final price (postage included) and payment details (since You're mentioning eBay, I guess PayPal is easiest?). 

Welsh boy wrote:

Nobody tempted to make me a silly offer (£25?) for the Knog before I put it on eBay? It’s going on the next free listing day otherwise. 

Baga | 5 years ago
0 likes

then I am likley going to get Volt 800. I like the design of Knog much better....but...can survice the conventional design of Volt.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a Volt 800, it's brilliant for road riding no matter how dark, I usually only need to use the 400 lumen setting, but occasionally up it to 800 lumen if I'm descending in the pitch black.

On 400 lumen it lasts at least 4 hours (I've never left it any longer without charging).

Baga | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thank you. So the consensus is that cateye is better?

kais01 | 5 years ago
0 likes

i have the volt 800. its very bright on full, but actually quite floody, and two of those would be ideal for mtb. for road use on the countryside i would consider their gvolt80 which has the same battery, about the same power and charge life, but a more focused, wide and far-reaching light pattern. and does not blind meeting traffic. a more economical alternative is the gvolt50.

for commuting i use one of each, a gvolt80 for distance and the 800 on half power then for nearfield.

the 800 is a very competent lamp on its own, but you should not use it pointing straight out on full power with oncoming traffic. pedestrians will be annoyed, cars will blink at you. 

i especially endorse battery management of the cateye lamp. it will warn you in due time when charge gets low, will not run on full the last 15 minutes or so, and when it eventually stops you may get another chace starting it again. twice. on lowest to-be-seen level it will go on forever.

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I had a Knog Pwr Trail and wasn't very impressed with it.  The light throws loads of light in all directions but does not pick out the road in front of you, it does not throw enough of a spot down the road for my liking.  It is great if you want to light the hedge rows and trees around you but not much good if you want to see a few hundred yards in front on the road.  It is also a nuisance having to find the front of the light and turn it, wait for it to return to the centre position and then turn it again if you want to drop the brightness when another road user is coming towards you.  If you are in narrow lanes you have one hand twisting the light at the very time you need both hands on the bars. Road.cc reviewd the Know a few weeks ago and liked it but when they reviewed the Gemini Xera Flashlight 950L recently they critisised that for the fact that you had to rotate the front of the light to switch between modes.

If you want to make me a silly offer for a light, handlebar mount and instruction book (all in excellent condition) please feel free.

Latest Comments