Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gran Fondo Marmotte Alps

I’m taking part in this summers Gran Fondo Marmotte sportive in the Alps with a couple of mates and would love to hear from anyone that has taken part in previous years events.

The main areas we need advice on are:

Where to stay (have been looking in Valloire but open to other ideas)

Which airport to fly to

How to get from our accommodation to the start/finish

Best place to hire bikes (saving the hassle of travelling with our own)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

gbzpto | 5 years ago
0 likes

Try More Than 21 Bends for accommodation and Prompt Cycle Culture for Bike hire. Both in Bourg d'Oisans which is the best place to stay for the event. Accommodation and bikes go very quickly though over this weekend!

https://www.morethan21bends.com

https://www.prompt.cc/hire.aspx

SellMatt | 5 years ago
0 likes

Fly to Lyon or Geneva, hire a minibus, take your own bikes, stay at Hotel Des Alpes in Borg. Add a day or 2 either end. The less you have to worry about the better.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Stay in Borg d Osian . It's a buzzing town absolutely packed with cyclists on the weekend.  It's a fair way from any major airport with convenient flight times to the UK. I flew in/out from Geneva. The climbs are huge and @ over 100 miles , do you want to be hiring?  

PRSboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Le Chamois... stayed there overnight on a cycling tour.

Cracking bar there too, the Underground.

There is also Cycle Huez in the town, who rent bikes.  Run by a friendly couple from UK/Aus.

This of course assumes there is still space!

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

We stayed in 'Hotel Le Chamois' (great location) on top of Alpe d'Huez - it's also 400meters from the finish line, and all downhill to the startline. The hotel/chalet served good food for cycling both pre and post event. The whole area is all about the Marmotte for one weekend a year so everywhere is geared up for thousands of cyclists decending on them.

Maybe slightly cheaper would be Bourg-d'Oisans at the bottom of the mountain (and where the gran fondo starts from).

We loaded the car up and drove/ferry/drove over, three of us shared duties, it's about 12hours from the Midlands UK. The (toll) motorways in France are very good. Expect to pay about £120 in tolls there and back.

Ferry was about £80 if I remember right for three of us in a car.. 

Add in fuel costs and you're still an absolute mile away from any parking/flight/transfer costs associated for three people.

I would not hesitate in recommending prompt.cc to hire bikes from, owners are from Britain and it's just an awesome shop/cafe.

Latest Comments