Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is the Rim Brake dead?

Hi All,

Im still looking for a new bike and according to the boss at my LBS the rim brake would be a bad choice as everyone are now going disc and the rim is going to be a thing of the past. Is he right? or is he pushing for a higher priced bike sell?I have a Cube Attain SL with rims which i hoping to sell to raise funds for a new bike.

Im looking at the DOMANE AL5 (Rim Brake) and the Giant CONTEND SL DISC.

thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

62 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 5 years ago
0 likes

I like both. I have discs on my CX and love the extra bite in the wet winter. I bought a new TCR and went for rim brakes.

Been using disc brakes from 2001 onwards in my mtbs and would never use rim brakes for mtb again.

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
0 likes

I first got discs after eating a rim down Doctors Gate on the MTB , and rode back up the Snake with a new lightweight slot in the rim. Then I found the tendonitis in the braking finger went away. My partner has small hands and has had a few scary moments on road descents, so her next road bike will definitely have discs. Older daughter has mechanical discs (Luath Pro) which again are good for small hands. CX bike has hydraulic discs - they are the dogs b. I’m sure the cost will come down as they have for MTB.

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
1 like

This brake system has beautiful flowing lines, so is clearly superior to discs. 

dooderooni | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'd say go with whatever you are happy with. All my bikes have rim brakes and I've had very few incidences where I've wished I had more braking power, certainly none where I've hit an obstacle as a result of only having rim brakes.

If you're reading the road and conditions and doing most of your braking before a corner then you shouldn't need more power, especially if you've made a wise tyre choice, but if discs give you added confidence then go with them.

Podc | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've always been happy with rim brakes but I have one set of wheels - ironically my winter wheels - on which they just don't work as well. Calipers are 105 with koolstop pads which work really well on two other sets of wheels 

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Rim brakes are fine (they can be a bit of a pain in the winter though).

All my bikes have disc brakes - I switched because I prefer the feel of discs and like having commonality across my bikes!

If you are looking for a bike that will be used in winter (in the UK at least), then I would recommend discs as their wet weather performance is far superior to rim brakes.

Paul5f | 5 years ago
0 likes

I hope they aren’t dead I love direct mount rim brakes with alloy wheels. They are powerful and so easy to set up and maintain. My disc brake bike rubs, the shop sets them up and after a couple of rides they rub, I adjust them and after a few rides they rub. When you look at how they are designed and fit together thay are always going to rub. I appreciate how powerful disc brakes but direct mount rim brakes are powerful enough for me and I value how easy they are to maintain. 

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've noticed* disk braked bikes seem to be much more heavily discounted than rim braked bikes at the end of year sales. Not sure if that's relevant, but you might get a bargain.

*Unscientific observation. No attempt at completeness made. YMMV.

Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
0 likes

Anyone who says rim brakes are dead is talking bllocks.

barongreenback replied to Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
1 like

Duncann wrote:

Anyone who says rim brakes are dead is talking bllocks.

Absolutely true as they will always be specced on the lowest end bikes or very lightweight bikes.  But they will become niche, especially disc brakes become more lightweight and aero.  I could realistically see them being phased out of Dura Ace and Ultegra level groupsets in the next 5-10 years, even potentially becoming non-series a bit like hydraulics were during the last generation if these groupsets.

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

So, I started this thread to help me decide on my next bike.I think I have settled on the Giant Contend SL Disc. I have disc on my mtb,I love them and need them.
Do we need disc on road bikes? Maybe for the winter.Some of us are lucky enough to own 2 road bikes so the best bike will have rim,the winter bike disc. I can only afford 1 road bike which I will use all year round and for this reason and living in the UK I'm going disc. The rim brake is not dead yet but will be at some point on high end road bikes. Similar thing happened with MTB wheels going from 26 to 27.5 ,all top end bikes now 27.5. Only the cheap models are 26.

IanEdward | 5 years ago
1 like

Quote:

But I tend to ride a bit slower in the wet anyway.

Lol, I didn't want to be the first to admit it but yeah, I save the heroics for dry days, doesn't matter what brakes you have when you hit that wet drain cover or pile of leaves!

Jem PT | 5 years ago
0 likes

My MTB has discs and they ALWAYS squeel, no matter what I do to them.

My road bike has rims and, no, they're not as strong in the wet. But I tend to ride a bit slower in the wet anyway. Whenever I am on a group (road) ride, there is invariably one other rider with discs, and they always make a racket.

When I buy my next road bike, I will want it to have rim brakes.

Kendalred | 5 years ago
0 likes

Like some on here, I have both on two bikes. The rim brakes on the summer/dry best bike, and hydro discs on the wet/winter commuter, and the discs just fill me with far more confidence. If I were to get a new 'best' bike, then I would go disc, but given my current bestie is a custom made Rourke steel beauty, then that's not gonna happen for quite some time.

As for the original post, I think there is probably some validity to what the LBS said, you just have to look through the pages of cycling magazine adverts, and most are for disc brake equipped bikes these days. We may all be expressing a preference for one or the other, but in the end it will be down to the industry itself which way it goes, not so much us the customers - especailly now the pro-peloton have started to use them. Put it another way, when was the last time you saw a new model with down-tube shifters?

risoto | 5 years ago
1 like

I have all three, rim, mechincal discs and hydraulic. I prefer rim brakes. They are dead easy to maintain, very effective and cheap. The pro peloton is 95% rim brakes, so you would think they work ok when they descend the Tourmalet at 90 km/h....hmmm.

I you enjoy riding in the mud disc brakes are probably better. And if you ride with expensive carbon wheels to protect them from wear on the rims.

risoto | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have all three, rim, mechincal discs and hydraulic. I prefer rim brakes. They are dead easy to maintain, very effective and cheap. The pro peloton is 95% rim brakes, so you would think they work ok when they descend the Tourmalet at 90 km/h....hmmm. I you like enjoy riding in the mud disc brakes are probably better.

IanEdward | 5 years ago
0 likes

Rafa, you're absolutely right about endurance bikes and discs, it's the main reason I keep returning to this argument as it annoys me that as an inflexible desk jockey that aspires to ride big distances, the manufacturers have mostly decided that I *must* have discs.

Nice, high end endurance road bikes do exist without discs, I got a Rose Xeon Team GF, triple butted aluminium and direct mount rim brakes. Trek do some (Domane and/or Emonda?) and even the new Specialized Allez

RafatheRed replied to IanEdward | 5 years ago
0 likes

IanEdward wrote:

Rafa, you're absolutely right about endurance bikes and discs, it's the main reason I keep returning to this argument as it annoys me that as an inflexible desk jockey that aspires to ride big distances, the manufacturers have mostly decided that I *must* have discs. Nice, high end endurance road bikes do exist without discs, I got a Rose Xeon Team GF, triple butted aluminium and direct mount rim brakes. Trek do some (Domane and/or Emonda?) and even the new Specialized Allez

Trek have the Domane in there Endurance range.They have no disc brake options between £1000 to £2000 range! However they have a rim brake Domane priced at £1100.It looks nice and has 105 spec. I spoke with my LBS today and asked how long do rims last.He said his lasted 3 years. Its funny but also when cleaning my bike i noticed that my rim brakes were scrated underneath from possible bits of debris  stone from my tyres. My tyre width is 28mm. 

The Allez Elite looks interesting at £1000.£100 Cheaper than the Domane but no 105 crankset or brakes.Shame. The disc version comes in at £1800. 

i dont want to buy from the internet.

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

So are the road cyclist in 2 different camps. Im seeing that it could be.On one hand you will have the racers with rim brakes and the endurance riders with disc as all endurance bikes will go disc only at some point.

vonhelmet replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
1 like

RafatheRed wrote:

So are the road cyclist in 2 different camps. Im seeing that it could be.On one hand you will have the racers with rim brakes and the endurance riders with disc as all endurance bikes will go disc only at some point.

Nope. Both groups use both types, and I think they will continue to do so.

gonedownhill | 5 years ago
0 likes

I find discs (TRP Hy-Rds) much better in heavy rain. Also I can slam the anchors on and stop quicker if a driver pulls a dick move in town in any condition. But they are pretty fiddly to set up perfectly and are expensive.

Personally if I were buying a new bike I would only bother with discs if I needed to commute on it, if it were my 'summer bike' I wouldn't bother as I personally rarely go for a leisure ride if the weather isn't half decent, certainly not often enough to drop a few hundred quid extra. I don't have bling wheels so there is no money saving there in my case.

RafatheRed | 5 years ago
1 like

My point in asking about rim brakes is because i want a certain typr of road bike. Im looking for an Endurance Bike. Now most of these types of bikes are either disc or soon will be. Giant Endurance bikes are disc only,there 'all rounder' top end is disc. Others are following suit.Seems the 'sportive',endurance rider will have no choice but go for disc.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to RafatheRed | 5 years ago
0 likes

RafatheRed wrote:

My point in asking about rim brakes is because i want a certain typr of road bike. Im looking for an Endurance Bike. Now most of these types of bikes are either disc or soon will be. Giant Endurance bikes are disc only,there 'all rounder' top end is disc. Others are following suit.Seems the 'sportive',endurance rider will have no choice but go for disc.

What is an 'Endurance' bike?, how does it differ say from any other bike?

I'm looking at buying a KTM revelator for a friend, it'll take 28mm tyres. My 2013 ex-stock conti pro team model KTM Strada takes 28mm tyres too. I don't know how successful the team were using that model but it certainly wasn't classed as an 'endurance' bike but I find it plenty comfortable over long distances, not an agressive position because I haven't 'slammed' it or bought a frame two sizes too small.

There are hundreds of good quality bikes that can be everything you want it to be and are not disc frames, this labelling is just marketing bullshit. I totally disagree with your summation "the 'sportive',endurance rider will have no choice but go for disc."

I could pick 10 bikes in about 10 minutes that you could ride 100 miles in all weathers and they're rim braked and are bloody damn good bikes.

The sad thing is that this thread and many others reflect how people fail to understand human psychology. As I've said elsewhere, discs will induce very similar/same as per other improvements in braking tech and not just on bikes.

You take more risks, you go faster into a certain corner or up to a set of lights (because your new braking point is now further up the road) you leave the braking that little bit later, we've all done it. Yet now it can and will get to the point where any unexpected occurence could leave you with not enough time/distance to react because you've gone faster, left the braking later, with less thinking time than you had before and the discs will not be able to overcome that shortened timescale because you still need the same thinking/reaction time and mechanical action time before you even apply the brakes.

This is highlighted perfectly in the way the MET police used a brand new disc braked bike in their case against Alliston, they braked knowing where to brake, and yet this falsely replicated what actually happens in an unexpected event (so should have been unadmissable). If the cop on the bike would have braked 0.7+0.4seconds later (higher end reactions plus mechanical action time) he would not have being able to brake in the distance Alliston was alleged to have traversed before collision and thus still collided.

I said riders on discs in the pro ranks won't have fewer crashes, I don't believe riders away from racing using discs will have fewer crashes either.

Anybody saying disc braked bikes look better than rim braked bikes have a very twisted way of thinking IMO, disc bikes are the very definition of ugly, even the shifter.brake hoods are a dogs dinner!

Russell Orgazoid replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

disc bikes are the very definition of ugly

Show me the source of your very definition, please, Oh Great Wise One.

My old CRT TV was perfectly adequate too, unlike my big LED 4k HD TV, which is lots better.

If discs were on bikes first, rim bakes would never have been invented.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to Russell Orgazoid | 5 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

My old CRT TV was perfectly adequate too, unlike my big LED 4k HD TV, which is lots better.

So you think that bikes with more protusions, worse angular lines is like comparing a new TV to an old CRT. HAHAHAHAHAHA, get some glasses sonshine!

Russell Orgazoid replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

Plasterer's Radio wrote:

So you think that bikes with more protusions, worse angular lines is like comparing a new TV to an old CRT. HAHAHAHAHAHA, get some glasses sonshine!

You still haven't answered my query about definition, but just stated opinion....sonshine laugh

fenix | 5 years ago
3 likes

Rim Brakes are so easy to work with.

Disc Brakes seem to need a degree in the dark arts to understand.

Valverde won his rainbow bands on a bike with rim brakes - and he had the choice.

I genuinely think its 80% marketing and 20% innovation.  I'm perfectly happy with rim brakes - but if you want discs - go for it. 

yupiteru | 5 years ago
3 likes

Just my opinion obviously but I will never buy a road bike with disc brakes, totally unecessary is the main reason.  On a mountain bike yes but I have cycled for many years and have always been able to stop ok on the road with rim brakes. 

Also I think road bikes should look beautiful and disc brakes have looks only a mother would love, so no the rim brake is far from dead and will long outlive this fad and fashion accessory called road disc brakes.

ibr17xvii replied to yupiteru | 5 years ago
0 likes

yupiteru wrote:

Just my opinion obviously but I will never buy a road bike with disc brakes, totally unecessary is the main reason.  On a mountain bike yes but I have cycled for many years and have always been able to stop ok on the road with rim brakes. 

Also I think road bikes should look beautiful and disc brakes have looks only a mother would love, so no the rim brake is far from dead and will long outlive this fad and fashion accessory called road disc brakes.

Totally agreed with you until I tried them.

I would say they are very necessary if you cycle in the UK through winter.

Just my opinion.

Griff500 | 5 years ago
3 likes

It seems to me the Brits are jumping onto the disc bandwagon faster than many other countries. Most of my cycling days are spent in the Vaucluse. I see loads of lovely, high spec, bikes outside cafe's in the Ventoux area, and very rarely see a bike with discs.

Pages

Latest Comments