Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc Brake through axle Wheels set suggestions.

Afternoon ALL.

Could I please have some advice on a pair of through axel wheels. Needs to be disc. Something between basic and midrange.

It's for an Orbea Terra.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Team EPO | 5 years ago
0 likes

I would take a look at Just Riding Along who I have bought a few mountain bike wheelsets from and they have been great and you can customise for that bike bling like if that floats your boat

http://www.justridingalong.com/

Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm riding handbuilt Mavic Open Pro USTs on Miche hubs at the moment, which are tubeless ready, come in way below your budget (circa GPB 300-350 depending on hubs/spokes chosen), and are under 1450g.  Very pleased with them.  Harry Rowland and Pete Matthews have very good reputations...I've had a few sets from the former. 

You need to be a bit careful with some of the wheel brands out there, they are marketing companies that buy rims, spokes, hubs, etc. and rebrand them at a marked-up price with no mark-up in quality (which makes for some very expensive stickers) 

BehindTheBikesheds replied to Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
1 like

Chris Hayes wrote:

I'm riding handbuilt Mavic Open Pro USTs on Miche hubs at the moment, which are tubeless ready, come in way below your budget (circa GPB 300-350 depending on hubs/spokes chosen), and are under 1450g.  Very pleased with them.  Harry Rowland and Pete Matthews have very good reputations...I've had a few sets from the former. 

You need to be a bit careful with some of the wheel brands out there, they are marketing companies that buy rims, spokes, hubs, etc. and rebrand them at a marked-up price with no mark-up in quality (which makes for some very expensive stickers) 

The new Mavic Open pros are wafer thin at the rim, I wouldn't recommend them at all, they are prone to splitting at the eyelets, there have been a few reports of lower spoke count wheels going tits up in as little as 500 miles by riders using them in good conditions only and from reputable wheelbuilders.

Was a huge fan of the old OP and used them for tens of thousands of hard miles, the new UST version is crap.

Russell Orgazoid | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hunts

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just athought. I'm selling my original Hunt Mason 4 Season disc wheels. I've just replaced all the bearings with new Enduro ones. They're got around 4,000 miles on them but they're pretty mint and have brand new bearings, like I said. If you're interested, drop me a mail at guyrwood at gmail dot com. I'd take £140 or them, I think they were around £350 new. They come with centrelock to 6 bolt adaptors and the posh new QRs that came with my Hunt 30 CAD wheels. I'm in the 'between Liverpool and Manchester' area if you want to meet up.

They're QR at the moment but you'll find the thru axle bits on the accessories page on the Hunt website.

Picture.

Dicklexic | 5 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Hunt Wheels. I have been extremely happy with my Mason X Hunt 4 Season Disc wheels for the past 3 and a bit years, and a friend has the 4 Season Gravel Disc which have been equally faultless for the past 2 years.

NorthDevonCyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

Great looking wheelset as well! Thanks for the recommendation.

Butty | 5 years ago
2 likes

Hunt Wheels 4 season or Aero Light. Comes with a bag of spares and adapters to deal with QR and thru axles.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've been very impressed by DT Swiss (I own two DT Swiss thru axle wheelsets now!), for your budget the ER16 spline DB would be a good fit.

I had Campag Zondas (rim brake) and loved them too.

AKH | 5 years ago
0 likes

What features are you after? What are you going to use them for? Surely that's a better way to approach it than a budget. Racing or commuting, tubeless or not, cup-and-cone or cartridge, weight limit, etc...

NorthDevonCyclist replied to AKH | 5 years ago
0 likes
AKH wrote:

What features are you after? What are you going to use them for? Surely that's a better way to approach it than a budget. Racing or commuting, tubeless or not, cup-and-cone or cartridge, weight limit, etc...

I'd say primarily to race on. Tubeless or Tub, cartridge would be my preference, fairly light weight.

Mathemagician | 5 years ago
0 likes

Campag Zonda disc are solid and stiff. For something a bit different check out Just Riding Along

http://www.justridingalong.com/

philhubbard | 5 years ago
2 likes

Another good option would be one of the Hunt wheelsets or the Cero ARD from cycle division

0 likes

ah understood!

0 likes

I'm after bolt through rather than qr

hawkinspeter replied to NorthDevonCyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

NorthDevonCyclist wrote:

I'm after bolt through rather than qr

The Prime wheels can be converted to Thru-Axle. My pair (RP50s) came with the conversion kit, but it looks like the older/cheaper RR range doesn't.

£6: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-rd020-conversion-kit-12mm-x-142mm/

0 likes

Ideally under £500

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

Go for some carbon fibre Prime wheels.

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
1 like

An idea of budget would help...

Latest Comments