Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How the media fails cyclists

An interesting article from the US, but what it says could just as well apply to the UK or Australia in particular:

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2018/09/28/conclusive-evidence-how-media-fai...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

alansmurphy | 5 years ago
1 like

Munge and Hawkins, I think the encouragement of 'normalising' cycling and the 'top down' approach are so polar opposite that there will always be trouble. The priviliged perhaps rode round an estate probably on horse, I rode round a council estate and aimed not to stop too long or me wheels would be nicked  1

Was talking normalising recently, looking at e-bikes and their price points. There's now a couple around £1.5k that aren't awful bikes (praise the lord). It would make a hell of a lot of sense to up the C2W threshold for an e-bike and even build in some further relief for those proving they are swapping car journeys (perhaps app based evidence). We know many car journeys are <5 miles - if a shift could be proven there's then also the ability to increase the move towards actual decent infrastructure that would then encourage even more... and on and on and on!

vonhelmet replied to alansmurphy | 5 years ago
2 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Munge and Hawkins, I think the encouragement of 'normalising' cycling and the 'top down' approach are so polar opposite that there will always be trouble. The priviliged perhaps rode round an estate probably on horse, I rode round a council estate and aimed not to stop too long or me wheels would be nicked  1

Was talking normalising recently, looking at e-bikes and their price points. There's now a couple around £1.5k that aren't awful bikes (praise the lord). It would make a hell of a lot of sense to up the C2W threshold for an e-bike and even build in some further relief for those proving they are swapping car journeys (perhaps app based evidence). We know many car journeys are <5 miles - if a shift could be proven there's then also the ability to increase the move towards actual decent infrastructure that would then encourage even more... and on and on and on!

A bit of an aside, but the £1k limit on C2W isn’t built into C2W. There is no limit in the legislation for C2W. The £1k limit comes about because that is the threshold beyond which employers would need a Consumer Credit Licence to make loans to their employees.

Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
7 likes

I think that cycling is almost a victim of a rather unpleasant and ingrained social attitude towards minority groups who are visible, often appear to be breaking rules that others are forced to comply with, are clearly identifiable (on a bicycle) and are perceived not to be contributing to the cost of infrastructure that they use. There is also a level of resentment of the apparent freedoms enjoyed by those on bicycles, e.g no number plates, ability to go exploring off road, filtering past traffic queues and generally being fitter and having a better time than those stuck in cars.

Sticking a helmet on, wearing hi viz cycle specific clothing and becoming an object other than human is actually one of the most compelling arguments to me on the side of those who reject such things, especially when cycling in an urban environment with lower speeds, higher vehicle densities and decent lighting infrastructure.

Attitudes in general will only change if more people can be encouraged to cycle for short local journeys. I.e normalise the use of bicycles as safe, practical, convenient, everyday transport for normal people wearing normal clothing for purposes other than just going out for a cycle ride. The benefits to self and wider society are clear to all but the most ardent critics. Unfortunately those with the biggest bees in their bonnet about such things tend to make sure they get the most press coverage.

hawkinspeter replied to Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
2 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

I think that cycling is almost a victim of a rather unpleasant and ingrained social attitude towards minority groups who are visible, often appear to be breaking rules that others are forced to comply with, are clearly identifiable (on a bicycle) and are perceived not to be contributing to the cost of infrastructure that they use. There is also a level of resentment of the apparent freedoms enjoyed by those on bicycles, e.g no number plates, ability to go exploring off road, filtering past traffic queues and generally being fitter and having a better time than those stuck in cars.

Sticking a helmet on, wearing hi viz cycle specific clothing and becoming an object other than human is actually one of the most compelling arguments to me on the side of those who reject such things, especially when cycling in an urban environment with lower speeds, higher vehicle densities and decent lighting infrastructure.

Attitudes in general will only change if more people can be encouraged to cycle for short local journeys. I.e normalise the use of bicycles as safe, practical, convenient, everyday transport for normal people wearing normal clothing for purposes other than just going out for a cycle ride. The benefits to self and wider society are clear to all but the most ardent critics. Unfortunately those with the biggest bees in their bonnet about such things tend to make sure they get the most press coverage.

Unfortunately, it seems that the government has an entrenched anti-cycling mindset and it's going to require a top-down effort to change the public perception of cycling.

If we look at countries that currently have a positive mindset towards cycling, it's been built on decades of investment into cycling infrastructure. Although Labour and Conservatives would appear to support cycling from their manifestos, they are not prepared to invest the money that would be required.

OldRidgeback replied to Mungecrundle | 5 years ago
2 likes

Mungecrundle wrote:

Yep, you make a lot of good points there.

As an aside, I've noted that when I'm commuting by motorbike, the behaviour of other motorists varies widely depending which of my (two) motorcycles I'm riding. If I'm on the big modern sportsbike, other vehicle drivers treat me with more respect and give me more room when they pass. I do stick to speed limits (yes I've had to do the speed awareness course in the past) and some other drivers are less than happy about that.

If I'm on my little motorbike (an old 200), other drivers will exhibit their frustration at my refusal to speed by tailgating and close-passing (which they won't do when I'm on the big bike). They often seem to expect me to be riding at the side of the road in the same way that they expect small scooter riders or cyclists to behave (and despite that fact that while it's small and old, it'll still top 80mph easily). It's particularly annoying if other drivers do this when I'm carrying ne of my kids on the little bike, as you can perhaps appreciate. I've even had another parent cut me up when I've been taking one of my kids to school, something I find appalling.

Morgoth985 | 5 years ago
5 likes

Thank you.  Any of these could apply to the UK also - possibly to an even greater extent than reported here.  The use of language that removes the driver's agency is particularly notable.  It goes so far in the UK media, especially local news, that it becomes nonsensical.  "A pedestrian was in collision with a bus", "cyclist collides with car" to give (genuine) examples, of which there are many.  You'll be astonished to hear that we're not talking about a pedestrian walking into a stationary bus here, or a cyclist riding furiously into a poor unsuspecting car.

Some of it is quoting uncritically from the police also.  No doubt they'd say they're being careful not to prejudge, but I'm sure it's possible to do that without completely reversing the natural descrition of the facts.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

That's very interesting - thanks for that link.

I was recently bemoaning how the BBC has an anti-cycling agenda, but didn't have any stats on their articles, so it'd be nice if there was a similar analysis.

OldRidgeback replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

That's very interesting - thanks for that link.

I was recently bemoaning how the BBC has an anti-cycling agenda, but didn't have any stats on their articles, so it'd be nice if there was a similar analysis.

I think a lot of media outlets have an anti-cycling agenda. The Guardian is one of a the few UK newspapers that is consciously pro-cycling, but then you'd expect it to be given its demographic. 

Latest Comments