Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Advice wanted on new wheelset

HI, 

I'm after some advice on upgrading my current wheelset. I've got a pair of  Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheels on from a previous bike. 

Whilst they are good, they do look a little boring.

My usual riding is sunday spins with friends and sportives. I know I don't want anything too deep, 35/40mm max, also clincher tyres and traditional rim brakes.

I weigh 78kg's which should be OK for Carbon, unless anyone can tell me otherwise.

I'm also happy to finance and go upto £1000, what would people recommend?

Thanks in advance.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Simon E | 5 years ago
1 like

You might like to read the suggestions on a similar question the other day:

http://road.cc/content/forum/241321-advice-please-wheelset-la-marmotte

pauld | 5 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for the advice

workhard | 5 years ago
1 like

^This. One stop shop with lots of choice and all the options clearly explained.

Richbeck | 5 years ago
1 like

DCR Wheels

handbuilt for you - David will give you some great options

Nixster | 5 years ago
0 likes

Far Sports 38mm carbon clinchers with DT Swiss 350, or Novatec hubs if you want to save a little cash.  Around half your budget and for the uses you've suggested spending more is unlikely to offer a noticeable benefit.

The factory wheels referenced above are all sound choices IMO but if you stuff the rims on the Far Sports wheels they can be re-built for around £150 whereas the others are toast, Wheelsmith excepted.  And while I am sure that Wheelsmith are lovely, it's essentially the same product for 1.5-2 times the price.

srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you absolutely have to buy new, I would look at Wheelsmith.  They do a 38mm carbon rim with a few choices of hub for around your budget.

Any particular reason you've discounted 50mm rim depth?

pauld | 5 years ago
0 likes

HI,

Thanks for the advice above. Carbion isn't a must at all, just thought at the price limit it might be an option.

I'd rather by new than used.

I'll have a look at the wheels that have been recomended.

Ogi | 5 years ago
0 likes

Factory options as said: Bora, Fulcrum Quattro Carbon, Reynolds, Zipp...you should be able to find slightly used set for the price. Check out Corimas as well, if they appear on eBay. They are all great options.

If new set is a must, Hunt is OK. There are other possibilities out there (e.g. Zipp 302 etc.).

Is the carbon set a must? Just asking as I would personally go into custom-built alloy territory. Even if carbon, you could do the same as well (custom built option).

O

srchar | 5 years ago
2 likes

Bora 35s.  A lightly-used pair can be had for half your budget.

MoutonDeMontagne replied to srchar | 5 years ago
0 likes

srchar wrote:

Bora 35s.  A lightly-used pair can be had for half your budget.

This. Or if going brand new for finance options, the Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon, or Reynolds Assault/Attack depending on depth. Both are under your budget enough to get some nice tyres and tubes too. 

Martyn_K | 5 years ago
0 likes

Cero RC45 Evo's have just been slotted in to the dropout's on my Scott Foil. It's my second set having trashed the first set after 4 years of heavy use. At 1450g, £850 and pretty quick build/ dispatch time they are hard to beat.

Cycle Division are the UK distributor.

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
1 like

Maybe some Hunt wheels? They always come highly regarded, something like this ticks your boxes:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/hunt-36-...

I must say though that I doubt they would be that much better than the Ksyrium Elite's that you have right now.

matthewn5 replied to Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

Joe Totale wrote:

Maybe some Hunt wheels? They always come highly regarded, something like this ticks your boxes:

Hunt wheels are great if you like a freehub that's as loud as a demented howling thing. Even wheeling it across the room felt anti-social. I tried grease to dampen the noise but it lasted only 15 minutes. Drove me mad in the end - and I like loud campag freehubs - so have sold my Hunts on. Mine also had a very narrow brake track, same width as a new brake pad, so quite a task to set up pads correctly.

CXR94Di2 replied to matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes
matthewn5 wrote:

Joe Totale wrote:

Hunt wheels are great if you like a freehub that's as loud as a demented howling thing. Even wheeling it across the room felt anti-social. I tried grease to dampen the noise but it lasted only 15 minutes. Drove me mad in the end - and I like loud campag freehubs - so have sold my Hunts on. Mine also had a very narrow brake track, same width as a new brake pad, so quite a task to set up pads correctly.

They are no louder than any other freehub I've got. Rear wheels click, I've got several wheelsets with DT Swiss hubs to Hope hubs, formula hubs and two pairs of Hunt wheels they all click and make a noise. Use a fixie wheel if you don't like freehub click  4

Simon E replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
1 like

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Use a fixie wheel if you don't like freehub click  4

Or Shimano - very quiet hubs and very reliable IME.

Latest Comments