Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Setup between bikes

Hi 

After a bit of advice for set up between bikes. I am lucky to have a N+1 but have got myself into a muddle with the set up

Would you expect the saddle height (BB to top of saddle which is the same saddle) to be identical? Also is that the same case for the BB to saddle nose? FYI I have the same crank arm length.

I would have assumed that they should be identical but now I am bouncing between bikes finding one better than the other and adjusting it only to adjust it more then going back to the other bike and doing the same adjustments. and repeat....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

AfterPeak | 6 years ago
0 likes

OK cheers all.

I think I will have to go back to square one with first bike as I have moved it too much and not logged the previous position (rookie mistake).

So basically that whole balance test and KOPS stuff is a load of rubbish then?

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

^Ditto, leave your first/current bike alone (assuming it feels comfy) and measure it to get the relevant dimensions.

Set the saddle height on your new bike based on the measurements, then set your saddle fore/aft (you can measure from the nose of the saddle to the steerer tube for a rough guide) as well as saddle angle - re-adjust height if necessary.

All you then have to do is work out stem length/drop. Again, use measurements as a guide, but differing geometry may require different size stem etc. With the drop, it's best to start high, then move the stem down - you also need to consider that, when you lower your stem, it lengthens the reach by about 0.3cm per 1cm of drop (based on a head tube angle of about 73 degrees).

Also worth considering riding style, if you have one more racey bike and one more relaxed bike, you'll want slightly different riding positions.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Leave current bike alone, and use it as a reference point. Use the published stack and reach figures, and work out how much your new bike is longer/higher/shorter. That will help you calculate the length of stem you require to match the reach of your old bike, and the number of spacers under the stem to match the stack of the old bike. Then once you have the bars right, simply measure back from the front of bars to front of saddle to get the saddle-to-bars dimension right. Do all that and both bikes should feel identical. It's not hard but use measurements, not fiddling about with one bit and then another.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Crazy legs says LEAVE. YOUR CURRENT. BIKE. ALONE!

Dont adjust your first bike, take all measurements and get new bike as near as dammit in setup. Especially seat height and nose of seat to handlebar stem.  Stack you can adjust as you go along.

crazy-legs | 6 years ago
1 like

Quote:

I would have assumed that they should be identical but now I am bouncing between bikes finding one better than the other and adjusting it only to adjust it more then going back to the other bike and doing the same adjustments. and repeat....

LEAVE. YOUR CURRENT. BIKE. ALONE!

That (presumably) works and fits and everything is fine? Yes? If no then you've got a wider problem which you need to sort entirely separately to the new bike so if you've got joint pain, saddle sore etc, solve it on that bike first.

All done with Bike 1? Good. Now move onto Bike 2, look at it's intended purpose and then set it up accordingly. The measurements do not need to match mm for mm - in fact I'd be surprised if you could do that on two completely identical bikes without spending an awful lot of time and effort literally building both bikes from absolute scratch and then you end up with two identical bikes which is fine if you're a WorldTour rider and your mechanic is lifting the replacement down from the car and utterly useless if you're an average Joe because you've negated the whole point of N+!!

There will be subtle differences in frame angles, tyre size (and therefore absolute height off the ground), BB drop, headset stack height etc that make it near impossible to replicate the positions and you have to ask yourself if it's two different bikes why you'd want the same positon anyway.

Even on my two road bikes that I mentioned earlier. One is mine, one is on extended loan which has limited the amount of adjustment and change I can make to it (like trimming the steerer tube). My bike is quite old, the "loan" bike is much more recent so there are subtle changes to geometry - even though they're from the same manufacturer and nominally the same frame size. Both are completely comfortable.

By all means use the old bike as a guide but don't try and replicate the position.

crazy-legs | 6 years ago
3 likes

It's to do with the geometry and intended purpose of the bike. I would never attempt to achieve the same fit on all my bikes - I've got 2 road bikes (one is mine, one is on extended loan!), a SS road bike, a CX bike, a track bike and the position on all of them is different. All of them have different saddles. The CX bike has MTB spd pedals, the rest use SPD-SL. The bars are different widths. Even the stems are different lengths and angles.

Set each bike up as comfortable for you based on it's intended purpose. If you've got a touring bike, you're not going to want the same saddle, bar height etc to your time trial bike (extreme example but you get my point).

ClubSmed replied to crazy-legs | 6 years ago
0 likes

crazy-legs wrote:

It's to do with the geometry and intended purpose of the bike. I would never attempt to achieve the same fit on all my bikes - I've got 2 road bikes (one is mine, one is on extended loan!), a SS road bike, a CX bike, a track bike and the position on all of them is different. All of them have different saddles. The CX bike has MTB spd pedals, the rest use SPD-SL. The bars are different widths. Even the stems are different lengths and angles.

Set each bike up as comfortable for you based on it's intended purpose. If you've got a touring bike, you're not going to want the same saddle, bar height etc to your time trial bike (extreme example but you get my point).

This ^
If you are going to get an N+1 bike and adjust it to get the same fit/geometry as your existing bike then that is a pretty pointless N+1
To my mind an N+1 bike should be filling a niche that your current bikes do not currently service perfectly (justifying the need to fill that niche is another matter).
Ride your N+1 bike where and how it is supposed to be ridden and adjust the fit for that, don't try to make a cooking apple look like a Granny Smiths, just make a pie and have some fun!

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

If the seat tube angle on both bikes differ your saddle fit will be dissimliar.

philhubbard | 6 years ago
0 likes

For different bikes you need to be taking measurements from the ground. Go ground to top of saddle and then ground to nose of the saddle. 

Also, try measuring the centre of the bar to the floor for both bikes. Then ideally you need to go on a level measurement from the centre of the seatpost to the centre of your bars (obviously this only works if you're using the same bar reach and shifters)

peted76 replied to philhubbard | 6 years ago
2 likes

philhubbard wrote:

For different bikes you need to be taking measurements from the ground. Go ground to top of saddle and then ground to nose of the saddle. 

Er not sure that's right Phil.. I have a road bike with a lower bottom bracket than the other.. 

However saying that, personally I find trying to get find the centre of the BB with a chainset installed is a right pain. If there's another way.. I'm all ears.

AfterPeak replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

philhubbard wrote:

Er not sure that's right Phil.. I have a road bike with a lower bottom bracket than the other.. 

However saying that, personally I find trying to get find the centre of the BB with a chainset installed is a right pain. If there's another way.. I'm all ears.

Install shimano crank  tool and mine as a little bump right in the centre which is what I use for finding the centre  1

Yeah one is a bit aero and one is endurance so the top tube/geometry is not the same for sure. Even if I am more stretched out I would have thought my knee positon over the pedal should be the same and therefore so should the saddle height. 

I can see being stretched out you could move the saddle forward but then my knee will be too far forward and I typically get knee pain from that so I was hoping not to have to resort to that.

philhubbard replied to peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

peted76 wrote:

philhubbard wrote:

Sorry mate, had a bit of a brain fart. You will be alright with the bars, but Pete's right about the top of the saddle to the centre of the chainset

Dicklexic replied to philhubbard | 6 years ago
1 like

philhubbard wrote:

Also, try measuring the centre of the bar to the floor for both bikes. Then ideally you need to go on a level measurement from the centre of the seatpost to the centre of your bars (obviously this only works if you're using the same bar reach and shifters)

That is useful only if the bottom bracket height is the same on each frame, and even different tyres can affect that measurement by several mm. The relationship between the BB and the saddle is far more relevant than the ground to saddle.

There are however several things that could influence the fit of each bike. For example a steeper/slacker seat tube moves the saddle in relation to the BB so first thing to try and match is the fore/aft position of tha saddle relative to the BB. When trying to 'match' my CX and road bikes I started out by getting the saddle in the same place on my CX as it was on the road bike by hanging a plumb line from the saddle and measuring to the centre of the BB, not forgeting to adjust for the slightly different lengths of different saddles. Then I set about getting the same saddle/handlebar drop on both by using a spirit level from the saddle and adjusting the bar height accordingly. Thankfully for me the top tube and stem lengths of both bikes were pretty similar so the reach from the saddle to the bar was pretty close, but you may need to swap the stem in your case. Another thing to consider is crank length. If one bike has longer cranks, you will want to allow for that too.

Martyn_K | 6 years ago
0 likes

As above.... setting up the bike you need to consider all three contact points. Saddle, pedals and handlebars.

So although you appear to have tried to mirror the saddle height and crank length have you considered the top tube length and stem length?

Also bear in mind that if one bike is more aggressive then it will affect the set up.

duk31nlondon | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd venture it's going to depend on the geometry of both bikes? Are they based on the same frame?

I suspect you would find the same saddle height too high on the one with the more agressive geometry?

Latest Comments