Home

The vehicle veered off the road after a collision with a cyclist in the Prestbury area of Cheltenham on Friday at 18:08 BST.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/uk-england-gloucestershire-43849448

 

10 comments

Avatar
StraelGuy [1432 posts] 2 months ago
1 like

There's nothing in that article that suggests it was an autonomous bus.

Avatar
Canyon48 [984 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
StraelGuy wrote:

There's nothing in that article that suggests it was an autonomous bus.

Yup.

No idea where OP got the idea for the title!

Avatar
hawkinspeter [1958 posts] 2 months ago
9 likes

It's the language used:

"... bus crashes into house ..."

"A bus has crashed ..."

"The vehicle veered off the road ..."

Avatar
Canyon48 [984 posts] 2 months ago
3 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

It's the language used:

"... bus crashes into house ..."

"A bus has crashed ..."

"The vehicle veered off the road ..."

Just in the same way that a rifle can discharge itself at someone - no?

Never understood the way motoring incidents are reported.

 

Avatar
theloststarfighter [65 posts] 2 months ago
1 like

I swear my bike does lots of things without me being in control. Probably goes out for rides by itself while I'm at work.

Avatar
felixcat [585 posts] 2 months ago
1 like
theloststarfighter wrote:

I swear my bike does lots of things without me being in control. Probably goes out for rides by itself while I'm at work.

It may be that you have done so many miles on the rocky roadsteads of this parish that you and your bike have exchanged molecules and your bike is half you, and you are half bike.

https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/comedy/flann-obrien-splits-atom

Avatar
Yorkshire wallet [2038 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

I know this a joke thread title but it probably won't be too far from reality the way cars are going. Didn't Mercedes say it's 'triage'(for want of a better description) algorithm favoured the driver in a potential accident with multiple casualty choices?

Avatar
hawkinspeter [1958 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I know this a joke thread title but it probably won't be too far from reality the way cars are going. Didn't Mercedes say it's 'triage'(for want of a better description) algorithm favoured the driver in a potential accident with multiple casualty choices?

I don't think Mercedes is being entirely honest with that. I suspect that their algorithm just involves trying to stop as quickly as possible rather than targetting big piles of mattresses or fat people. It'd be amusing if they engineered the car to swerve at the last moment to concentrate any impact on the passenger rather than the driver.

@FelixCat - I heartily approve of that article if only for the quote: “They are lively as twenty leprechauns doing a jig on top of a tombstone.”

Avatar
PRSboy [279 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

The irony of this story is that the cyclist concerned was actually a bus driver returning from a training session dealing with amongst other things driving near cyclists.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/cyclist-hit-b...

Avatar
hawkinspeter [1958 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes
PRSboy wrote:

The irony of this story is that the cyclist concerned was actually a bus driver returning from a training session dealing with amongst other things driving near cyclists.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/cyclist-hit-b...

That's an interesting report from the cyclist triathlete. That sounds like a very scary incident indeed (paralyzed?) and I hope he continues his recovery and gets to compete again.