Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BCM 2018

I'm off to have a go at the Bryan Chapman Memorial this year. I mean, how hard can it be?

Anyone else riding this year? Anyone who's done it before got any tips?

Did an attritional 330km training ride in the pissing rain into a headwind last week, so that's partly set me in good stead and partly made me nervous that it's twice as far  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

dave atkinson | 6 years ago
0 likes

yeah i know that hill out of usk, i've struggled up that before. without 590km in my legs  1

Rod Marton | 6 years ago
2 likes

I did it a few years ago: the good news is that it is easier than it looks on paper.

Yes, it is hilly, but most of the hills are long steady climbs rather than being vicious. The one I should warn you about is the neverending hill out of Usk, it comes at about 590k and with tired legs it fully deserves its nickname. And yes, it is a long ride, but the trick to dealing with this is never to think ahead further than the next control.

The only tip I can think of that is specific to this event is to try to make reasonably good time on the first day. Then when you get to Kings on the way back there should be plenty of food and a bunk free. Other than that it will be the normal advice for long-distance riding: eat and drink plenty, don't think too far ahead, and keep turning the pedals.

And be prepared for bad weather - it i in Wales. But it sounds from your training ride that you already are.

Latest Comments