Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre recommendations please. Approximately 35mm tubeless road

Bike closer to together now.
Easy room to accommodate 35mm.
Pretty happy, just ignorance of tubeless bicycle tyres has me stunned.

Currently I use maxxis refuse 28 and I find them fantastic. Tubed with tuff liner.

I didn't realize I could fit wider tyres until about 10minutes ago with a visual. Rougher roads should be ok soon.  1
Any recommendations please? I've read past threads and couldn't resight yet remember g-ones being liked. Just wanting an easy reliable tyre that doesn't feel like mud when the road is dry.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Judge dreadful | 5 years ago
0 likes

I’ll only use tubeless on a mountain bike, the advantages of being able to run with low pressures, and not get pinches are far more noticeable / worthwhile on a rocky XC type ride, in my experience. I tried a ( relatively) high pressure, tubeless set up on a road bike, and the advantages of no tube ( nothing to pinch flat, low inertia / weight) was almost instantly countered by an intrusion puncture, which led to a very messy, relatively difficult roadside fix. And unlike a XC Ride, I was not close enough to a place where I could either sort it easily, or abandon the ride and not be inconvenienced (I tend not to stray as  far from a car / means of transport, on a typical XC ride).

Boatsie | 5 years ago
0 likes

Finally rode the bike. Being a bit of an idiot, I think I talled her up too much. Slight buckle in rear brings the 38 to near or a just touch on a stay.
But overall, being a bloke that averages 20kmph on a similar road bike, with this bike being about 3kg lighter I think I'm going to much prefer the tyre width. She opens up better on the rough short cuts rather than take it up the back on the bumpy crack track.
When these wear out I'm definitely going another fat set because at my speeds they ain't slower (lol) . More effort probably what I meant.

Boatsie | 5 years ago
0 likes

road.cc/content/buyers-guide/218046-26-best-road-cycling-tyres

Found that. I generally believe with 5000km.
'Session ' is a lovely slower tyre I've used and although 28mm the tyre held a lot of volume. On/off same bike 10 years no tyre change, the rims are stuffed now (will work just not as reliable as non worn equipment), I think that's about 5000km worth of riding and there's plenty of tread remaining on rear that was often supporting me and a 30kg backpack. Front was a Kenda 23mm and that's stuffed in the bin; missing too many chunks. I don't think Session are produced nowadays.

mike the bike | 5 years ago
0 likes

Even though a frame or fork has loads of room to take large tyres it doesn't mean the wheels are suitable.  Something like a 35mm tyre on a 15mm wide rim is asking for trouble.  Just saying.

Boatsie | 5 years ago
0 likes

Note: not adding heavy thick strips these tyres but not riding through thorn weeds now neither. After speaking with LBS and noting they roll tubes I'm continuing with tubes too. It's cheaper with me and reliability remains high enough.

BBB | 5 years ago
0 likes

G-One Speeds are now available in 35mm and 38mm widths as well.

Less thread than G-One Allround, added V-guard puncture protection and similar LOW rolling resistance. 

Personally I find G-Ones Allrounds (tubeless setup) prone to punctures from tiny flints and stones that cut through the casing. The cheaper performance version may be more robust, though. 

johnvrcc | 5 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone know the difference between Compass Bon Jons and the Panaracer GravelKings? They look pretty similar, have the same 60psi tubeless limit and the Compass are made by Panaracer i think.

BBB replied to johnvrcc | 5 years ago
0 likes

johnvrcc wrote:

Does anyone know the difference between Compass Bon Jons and the Panaracer GravelKings? They look pretty similar, have the same 60psi tubeless limit and the Compass are made by Panaracer i think.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/how-are-compass-tires-differen...

johnvrcc replied to BBB | 5 years ago
0 likes

BBB wrote:

johnvrcc wrote:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/how-are-compass-tires-differen...

Thanks for writing such a detailed response to my question, and posting it two weeks ago, and making it freely available to anyone with access to google...

Simboid | 5 years ago
0 likes

Compass Bon Jon Pass Extralight.

When my G-Ones wear out I will replace them with these. Quite spendy but the reviews are uniformly excellent, also the 5th fastest tyre (of any type) in the world.

Big Jay | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi, can you put a definition on ‘they don’t last long’, I’m following this question with interest but want a durable tyre with a lifespan 

cheers 

Boatsie replied to Big Jay | 5 years ago
0 likes
Big Jay wrote:

Hi, can you put a definition on ‘they don’t last long’, I’m following this question with interest but want a durable tyre with a lifespan 

cheers 

The 28mm refuse should get 5000km. I don't know exactly. The speedometer is like a novelty here, if I have 2 spare hours I route 30-60km (+-an hour)
Refuse pretty good in sense that they kept up although the casing was worn through.
Hence at 100km weekly, my guess 1 year.
With 38mom I yet to roll, chain shortens this Sunday. I hope about same but last time I had big tyres I cut thick strips of rubber as liners and that tyre just about split into two pieces from wear. I guess a year at 100km weekly hence you beauty, hopefully anyhow.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe almotion apparently is the snizz, heavier than most but rolls better than the leading tyre in that type the vittoria voyager hyper. It's about 38mm wide give or take.

bob_c | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use gravel king SK 32mm set up tubeless on some 23mm internal width rims. They measure 34-35mm and have been fast and comfortable for road/path riding - wider rims make a big difference. I assume the smooth ones Thelma mentioned might seem a bit faster but these have been great for winter riding. 

Thelma Viaduct | 6 years ago
0 likes

Panaracer GravelKing 32mm smooth/slight fishbone (not SK version) tread are tubeless compatible to 60psi. Websites/sellers don't mention it, but Panaracer have tweeted it, I use them and it works.

They're light at 290g, look good in brown wall, relatively inexpensive, not prone to cuts (unlike Mavic tubeless tyres) and don't seem any slower on the road than normal tyres.

Argos74 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Non-tubeless options - if you have room, Conti Double Fighters (the 28x 1 3/8 x 1 5/8  option, or 37mm in real money) are brilliant for rough road riding and dry offroading. Also looked very hard at the Conti Cyclocross Speed tyres, which are 35mm and a similar profile, though haven't tried them yet.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Skinned the rims with Maxxis Overdrive 38mm.
They fit under spray guards, surprised a little bit, they fit. I'm thinking maybe the bloke I bought the bike from already set the rims for tubeless? Spoke cover is lovely tight tape that contours the walls.
Cheers supersonic beaten road roller,
https://janheine.wordpress.com/?mc_cid=5da6b14d8a&mc_eid=b9be9cf9e4(link is external) look perfect.

mattydubster | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have done quite a bit of tubeless and the ones I have on my bike now are these - 

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Specialized/Trigger-Pro-2BR-Tyre-700X38C/6B27?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=base&co=GBR&cu=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiA78XTBRBiEiwAGv7EKiTuoMh1Jw7okwAQx8RXIlzIZKgJx6d0gtNI47p5lDroKvU1O9m9thoCyh8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know they say 38mm but they are actually 36mm.  Cheap, bullet proof and great for road and gravel.  I love them.

ConcordeCX | 6 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

35mm G One. I have the 40mm great tyre, quick, quiet, grippy and extremely comfortable being a big road tyre

Boatsie replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

35mm G One. I have the 40mm great tyre, quick, quiet, grippy and extremely comfortable being a big road tyre

Thank you. I rang the LBS and at $200 +/- to initially set up a tubeless tyre I'll have to save some. Looks like another cycle on 28s. Happy though, remaining true.

I wussed out. Bought some maxxis overdrive 38 to buy me some time to afford tubeless.
Pretty stoked though. Modded an Avanti blade to suit dropbars. At 6'3 xl fits well. Supposed to be my fast bike yet big chunky will do and open up a few beat up roads. Lol.
Currently wanting a fixie, seen a horizontal dropout xl blade on gum tree. Will probably miss out yet that looks perfect to set up as a fixie with same 40mm clearance frame. (Riding lots just not wanting to clean rain grime  1 )
Cycling is still way cheaper than driving

paulrattew replied to Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Boatsie wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Thank you. I rang the LBS and at $200 +/- to initially set up a tubeless tyre I'll have to save some. Looks like another cycle on 28s. Happy though, remaining true. I wussed out. Bought some maxxis overdrive 38 to buy me some time to afford tubeless. Pretty stoked though. Modded an Avanti blade to suit dropbars. At 6'3 xl fits well. Supposed to be my fast bike yet big chunky will do and open up a few beat up roads. Lol. Currently wanting a fixie, seen a horizontal dropout xl blade on gum tree. Will probably miss out yet that looks perfect to set up as a fixie with same 40mm clearance frame. (Riding lots just not wanting to clean rain grime  1 ) Cycling is still way cheaper than driving

If you're wheels are designed for tubeless then it really is easy to set them up with tubeless tyres. You just need to put some tubeless specific rim tape on, then stick the tyre on. There really isn't any need to pay someone to do it. Personally I normally stick a new tyre on with a tube in it overnight, so that any folds in the rim are evened out. Then just take the tube out, stick a tubeless valve in, add sealant, and use a track pump to inflate. The G-one tyres tend to go up really easily ands I've never needed a compressor or anything like that with them. Other tyres can be a bit more hard work. 

paulrattew | 6 years ago
1 like

Most of the time I run 35mm schwalbe g-one tubeless tyres on my GT Grade. They're brilliant, fast, grippy tyres. They don't have a particularly long lifespan, but that's the price you pay for a tyre that is light, wide, grippy and fast. 

Dave reviewed them on here back in 2016 - http://road.cc/content/review/190493-schwalbe-g-one

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I've zero real world experience, but I'm told the  30mm and 35mm G-Ones are great for road and dry offroads. 

I've persoanlly just brought a set of these for a bit more bite in more conditions and gravely stuff 33mm https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-reader/schwalbe-x-one-speed.html

Latest Comments