Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chris Froome - adverse drug test

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Two things, you can defend Froome's right to be heard and the tests be done in the face of people throwing cheap insults. I don't think anyone is defending the fact he failed as he failed, more questioning why.

And the tue system is wrong but don't just single out Wiggins and Sky, they won't be alone in using the system. And remember, permission has to be granted.

SirruslyFast | 6 years ago
0 likes

Twice over the limit. Until Sky prove a scientific justification for that I can't see how anyone can argue in Froome's/Sky's defence.

I wish they would just ban TUEs. I know in this case it would make no difference as Froome took a legal substance rather than a TUE, but just in general.

Wiggins' strategically timed TUEs before career defining races may have been technically legal. But morally bankrupt and makes a mockery of Sky's cleaner than clean stance. Ban TUEs and that issue goes away.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Incorrect

ErnieC | 6 years ago
0 likes

The rule was broken. Simple. End of story. All our speculation on whether salbutomol is performance enhancing or not, will not change that fact. Taken orally or injected it has very different results.

VeloUSA | 6 years ago
0 likes

Here's a link to Velonews interview with Dr.Tom Bassindale an anti-doping expert.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/12/news/anti-doping-expert-on-froome-it-doe...

Here's an excerpt: VN: What was your first reaction when you read about the Froome case?
Dr. Tom Bassindale: I was surprised that something as innocuous as Salbutamol would cause a positive test with Chris Froome. It’s an unlikely drug to take for performance-enhancing use. The evidence is quite mixed, and studies suggest toward it not being performance-enhancing. If you are an asthmatic, it only gets you back to ‘normal’ breathing, and there’s not a huge boost beyond that when taken as an inhaler.

HarryTrauts | 6 years ago
1 like

Don't worry.  I'm sure the doctor has well-kept notes explaining this safe and sound on their laptop.  

andyp | 6 years ago
2 likes

In other news today, Bears shit in the woods, Pope confirmed as Catholic, Trump is an orange cockweasel.

DrJDog | 6 years ago
2 likes

I can hear Wiggo laughing from here.

a1white | 6 years ago
0 likes

We all know this is what Sky do and see as perfectly acceptable. they try to bend the rules as much as possible with medically prescribed drugs. It stinks. This time though, it seems they have bent the rules too far. It was inevitable it was going to happen at somepoint.  Froome , like Wiggins before, is a fool for going along with it all. They both have tarnished reputations now.

SingleSpeed replied to a1white | 6 years ago
1 like

a1white wrote:

This time though, it seems they have bent the rules too far.

I think 10 puffs too many on an inhaler are a little less rule bendy than ferrying jiffy bags across multiple countries to inject themselves with and magically vanishing Macbook Pros...

Mickeylove replied to SingleSpeed | 6 years ago
0 likes

SingleSpeed wrote:

a1white wrote:

This time though, it seems they have bent the rules too far.

I think 10 puffs too many on an inhaler are a little less rule bendy than ferrying jiffy bags across multiple countries to inject themselves with and magically vanishing Macbook Pros...

The Jiffy bag had nothing to do with chemical or mechanical doping.  €500 notes don't take up much room and enough of them can slow rivals down. 

longassballs | 6 years ago
3 likes

The majority of posts here under Sky drug related articles are 'Nothing to see here. Move on. Sky are simply the best'. I think they'll be surprised by it. The few offering another opinion are pilloried, or rather the people stating the obvious that Sky are dopers. Only recently many here still think Wiggins has asthma flare ups before races...

Are people that stupid? Or that parochial that obvious doping is ignored because it's a British team? Please don't come on here and say you're not surprised (not aimed at you Mathemagician) or that your faith in cycling is destroyed. You're an idiot

surly_by_name | 6 years ago
2 likes

I had asthma as a child but symptoms declined markedly as I got older to the point that by my late 20s I barely used my inhaler. I look at what's going on in pro cycling and think maybe growing out of my respiratory problems was nature's way of telling me that I wasn't going to win the Tour de France. 

At least in the peleton you don't have to be that slightly panicked kid who hopes that one of his classmates has an inhaler because you forgot to bring your to the school trip. Every one has at least one inhaler!

Mathemagician | 6 years ago
5 likes

Come on...really? Can't believe anyone can be that surprised by it.

don simon fbpe replied to Mathemagician | 6 years ago
0 likes

Mathemagician wrote:

Come on...really? Can't believe anyone can be that surprised by it.

What? That there's another thread/article on Froomedoggate?

Latest Comments