Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc brake wheelset advice...

Hi all...long time reader, first time poster. So first up, sorry for starting yet another wheelset advice thread. I think/hope this is a slightly more specific question.

So, I'm in the process of building a new bike and pondering wheelset options. The criteria are:
- Centre-lock disc
- 12mm thru-axle front & rear
- Campagnolo freehub*

*if there is a strong enough argument I could be tempted back to Shimano but would prefer to stick to Campy.

Budget is £400-450. Thanks to some friends in high places, I can get a reasonable discount on a couple of different brands. So would you go for:

1) Hunt Mason 4Season Disc Wheelset at £297.
2) Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST 2018 at £390.
3) Hunt Aero Light Disc V2 Wheelset at £377.
4) Fulcrum Racing 4 at £223.**
5) Any of the above, I probably won't be disappointed.
6) Something else entirely.

**the Fulcrums are Shimano only but such a big drop in price compared to the others I could be tempted, plus I could hopefully source a Campy freehub...though so far I've not been able to source the part no.

The Ksyriums look good value to me, when you take into account tyres are included...but then given the choice I'd probably go 28mm rather than 25mm, so it's a compromise. Hunts look nice, bit different compared to what I see out and about round here, but would need to factor in tyres and possibly a no tubes kit. The Fulcrums are cheap as chips next to the others.

Sometime on another forum suggested Zonda C17 discs...which frankly look pimp AF, so that might also be an option...probably at the top end of the budget though.

Thanks in advance, and apologies again.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Johnnyvee | 6 years ago
0 likes

I hot some jra built wheels and find them pretty good but not used them long enough to comment on durability.  One of my mates has some too and he did LEJOG on them this year.  He's very by happy with them.

I'm still tempted by the Hunts or the Kinesis mind you - n+1 on wheels easier to be unnoticeable.  laugh

2old2mould | 6 years ago
1 like

1. Zonda

2. Zonda

3. Zonda

The Fulcrums Quattros are pump.

peted76 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just got a set of Hunt Aero Light Disc V2 Wheels on my bike at the mo and I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be with them.

Mavic Quote 1490grams

Hunt Aero 1498grams

Zonda quote 1675grams

Fulcrum 1690grams

All have 17mm internal width.

The DT Swiss ones mentioned above are 1470grams and have an 18mm internal width.

I think my money would go with the DTSwiss.

kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Kinesis CX disc? £375, 1720g the pair

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Wheels/Cyclo-Cross/CX-DISC-v5

Campy, 12mm thru, adapters for standard QR too.

Or trim off 200g and go for the RL version for an extra £75

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hope Mono RS, not Hunt. Sorry

Ogi | 6 years ago
1 like

+1 for JRA. Big praise for the guys!

I'm riding their wheels now - Hunt Mono RS + Pacenti SL23 rim brake + Sapim Lasers (28). Great quality build, hubs, everything.

missionsystem | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hunts or some thing from Just Riding Along, Borg (Cycle Clinic), Wheelsmith or other custom builder.

Mathemagician replied to missionsystem | 6 years ago
1 like

missionsystem wrote:

...some thing from Just Riding Along...

So I just googled them (because I'd never heard of them), and realised they're about 15 minutes away from my house. Will definitely head down there and see what the dealio is. Thanks!

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Zondas.

kev-s | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bite the bullet and buy some Zonda C17 discs, you will only regret it if you dont

They look great, come with a campag freehub and because they are loose ball hubs they spin forever and servicing is easy

Ive got some Bora one's (non disc) and they are the best wheels ive ever had

a_P | 6 years ago
0 likes

Don't all of those options have Campag freehub S available? Otherwise just stay with the Shimano freehub as all the 11 speed cassettes work equally well with SRAM / Shimano / Campag 11 speed groupsets. 

Mathemagician replied to a_P | 6 years ago
0 likes

a_P wrote:

Don't all of those options have Campag freehub S available? Otherwise just stay with the Shimano freehub as all the 11 speed cassettes work equally well with SRAM / Shimano / Campag 11 speed groupsets. 

All do except the Fulcrums- I mean, they apparently come in Shimano and Campag flavours, but the website where I can get the deals is only selling the Shimano variant at that price. I've looked around to try and find the Campy freehub, but with no luck yet- the manuals I've seen only show the Shimano hub part no., and it's a different part no. to the rest of the wheelsets so I'm guessing the Campy variant will be different also. 

Yea, I'm kinda leaning toward the Zondas, although the Fulcrums are ludicrously cheap compared to anywhere else I've seen them. 

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

https://www.rosebikes.de/artikel/dt-swiss-rr-21-dicut-db-disc-rennrad-la...

Here’s the link-if interested in DT Swiss option.

O

Ogi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Here are my two cents:

-Hope RS4 with 20five rim and Sapim Sprint spokes. Evans used to sell them.

-Mavic is a good option, nice new ratchet hub.

-Custom option with DT350 rims could be possible.

-Campagnolo is great but I would prefer options without cup and cone bcs of ease of servicing. Surely, you can also master that but industrial bearing approach is easier.

I’ve just realised you could get a madsive deal-DT Swiss RR21 Dicut DB! DT 240s hub, good rim, lightweight for 430 euros at Rose Bikes.

Latest Comments