Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BristolPost - Cyclists who wear hi-vis gear may increase injury risk

I was surprised to see this article in the BristolPost:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/cyclists-who-wear-hi-vis-840505

I can't seem to find the source, but it's also mentioned in The Times, though that's register-walled:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/cycle-safety-in-a-spin-as-study-warns-hi-vis-gear-may-increase-injury-risk-bph28k0vz

Quote:

But a study of 76 accidents by academics at Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and Nottingham University published in the Journal of Transport & Health found “no evidence” that those who wore reflective clothing “were at reduced risk”. Instead it found “increased odds of a collision crash” among cyclists in reflective clothing.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

Almost certainly wearing hi viz isn't going to make you more likely to be knocked off. I was taken out by a car door. What I was wearing was irrelevant, the bloke didn't look at all, which I suspect is the case in the majority of incidents.

turboprannet | 6 years ago
2 likes

I think there's a set of riders who don't have cycling as part of their life and it's just how they get to where they need to be, which is fine and well done them. However I think they wear hi vis because "it's what you're supposed to do" which also includes riding hugging the kerb and not riding defensively.

With this I see a lack of proactive thought into where they're going to be if something goes wrong and I see a lot of "inexperienced" riders in hi vis putting themselves inside lorries and buses, just waiting to get hit or not knowing how to handle things when they start to go wrong.

I prefer decent lights (not blinding ones pointed at the eyeline) and eye-catching details like overshoes with reflective detail, white helmet, reflective backpack etc. I do have a hi vis jacket but it's for emergencies (when my others are in the wash).

I don't agree with all this "cyclists must look like a 1990's Dortmund kit and wear body armour" thing at all though. Drivers give you sod all respect most of the time anyway and I think mandating our clothing is just going to be another victim-blaming stick to beat us over the head with.

As for the Bristol Post - they don't need to explicitly bait cyclists in an article, even the most unrelated bit of "journalism" there has cycling mentioned in the comments by the usual loonies.

Bluebug replied to turboprannet | 6 years ago
0 likes
turboprannet wrote:

I think there's a set of riders who don't have cycling as part of their life and it's just how they get to where they need to be, which is fine and well done them. However I think they wear hi vis because "it's what you're supposed to do" which also includes riding hugging the kerb and not riding defensively.

With this I see a lack of proactive thought into where they're going to be if something goes wrong and I see a lot of "inexperienced" riders in hi vis putting themselves inside lorries and buses, just waiting to get hit or not knowing how to handle things when they start to go wrong.

Some people what ever mode of transport they use are incapable of planning ahead, and have a limited understanding of things like blind spots, turning circles and visibility.

Some of these people are actually regular cyclists who think it is OK not to use lights at night, kerb hug and to cycle down the inside of large vehicles as wearing high viz means they are visible.

One of these I've seen regularly over the years is an older gentleman in my area who for years has been cycling - well kerb hugging - around 6am in the morning wearing high viz but with no lights.

Bmblbzzz | 6 years ago
3 likes

What amazes me is the Bristol Post publishing a story about cycling that doesn't say cyclists:

a) cause traffic jams

b) are the major cause of global warming

c) have killed and injured half the city's population this year

d) are genetically incapable of stopping for red lights

e) etc... 

Bluebug | 6 years ago
0 likes

Interesting you didn't quote the other study mentioned  in the article-

A larger study in Denmark of nearly 7,000 cyclists found they had 47 per cent fewer accidents causing injuries if a bright yellow jacket was worn.

In short it is inconclusive. 

Wear it if you wish but make sure you can be seen particularly at night.

People on here seem to forget that there is a major issue around people not having regular sight tests and driving - https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/4907612/motorists-eye-sight-tests-warning/

So when some drivers claim they can't see you they really can't, and shouldn't be on the road.

hawkinspeter replied to Bluebug | 6 years ago
1 like

Bluebug wrote:

Interesting you didn't quote the other study mentioned  in the article

That's because it wasn't what the headline featured and also because it would just fit in with what I'd expect the Bristol Post to publish.

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
4 likes

Correlation does not mean causation.

The only thing that would surprise me from the Bristol Post would be a published article with correct spelling punctuation and grammar.

davel replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

Allow me to speculate there, if I may.

I'd expect there to be some overlap between the section of society that steps out of their house looking like a plastic lemon and the section of society who would be likely to cut themselves while using children's safety scissors.

Canyon48 replied to davel | 6 years ago
1 like

davel wrote:

wellsprop wrote:

Allow me to speculate there, if I may.

I'd expect there to be some overlap between the section of society that steps out of their house looking like a plastic lemon and the section of society who would be likely to cut themselves while using children's safety scissors.

That wouldn't surprise me.

On my cycle commute across Bristol, the people cycling wearing practically high viz head to toe (and those hideous helmet covers) tend to be the total muppets who have absolutely no road/situational awareness. 

bike_food replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
1 like

wellsprop wrote:

The only thing that would surprise me from the Bristol Post would be a published article with correct spelling punctuation and grammar.

Is it made by the same people who create road.cc?

Latest Comments