Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's the longest you've been on the turbo?

Bit of a lightweight when it comes to the turbo, my longest is about 75 minutes on Zwift.

What feats of stupidity have you managed?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

asdfqwerty | 6 years ago
0 likes

61 minutes, to be precise. Planned intervals make it bearable. Couldn't ride for any length of time aimlessly without my Wahoo flashing up and telling me what to do.

rjfrussell replied to asdfqwerty | 6 years ago
0 likes

asdfqwerty wrote:

61 minutes, to be precise. Planned intervals make it bearable. Couldn't ride for any length of time aimlessly without my Wahoo flashing up and telling me what to do.

Are you able to program a workout using the wahoo app?  I thought you had to manually change the resistance during the workout?

fukawitribe replied to rjfrussell | 6 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

asdfqwerty wrote:

Are you able to program a workout using the wahoo app?  I thought you had to manually change the resistance during the workout?

Not sure about the app but the Wahoo head-units support smart trainer control for rides and work-outs. They've also recently had an update to support generic FE-C trainers, like the newer Garmin Edge head-units do, instead of just their own trainers.

asdfqwerty replied to rjfrussell | 6 years ago
1 like

rjfrussell wrote:

asdfqwerty wrote:

I have a Wahoo Elemnt. I plan the intervals on TrainingPeaks (works with a free account) which is easy: drag and drop intervals into place, set the duration, target HR/Power, etc, for each interval. Then it syncs to the Elemnt.

At the beginning of each interval, the Elemnt starts a new lap and displays the target HR/Power. I have a 'dumb' fluid trainer so I just change gear and go harder/easier as prescribed. It's an easy way to train because you just follow the instructions on the head unit. I guess if you had a smart trainer with erg mode, it would change resistance for you so you hit your power targets for each interval.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Zwift race yesterday around 2.5hours 56miles

SteveAustin | 6 years ago
0 likes

When i 1st got a turbo about fifteen years ago, i had plans to do epic length rides to get fitter. After several rides it became apparent to me that riding on a  turbo was dull, and was never going to be sustainable for long periods (of time). Think i managed near 1.5 hrs but it was so duul.

Settled on a couple of 30/40 minutes sessions in the end, dont think i could have managed anything longer due to the sheer repetitiveness

PRSboy replied to SteveAustin | 6 years ago
1 like

SteveAustin wrote:

When i 1st got a turbo about fifteen years ago, i had plans to do epic length rides to get fitter. After several rides it became apparent to me that riding on a  turbo was dull, and was never going to be sustainable for long periods (of time). Think i managed near 1.5 hrs but it was so duul.

Settled on a couple of 30/40 minutes sessions in the end, dont think i could have managed anything longer due to the sheer repetitiveness

Turbos lend themselves much more to shorter sessions at intensity, where you can focus on the interval with no worries about traffic and other distractions.  Put some decent music on and have a structured, challenging session to do and you wont get bored.

I can't imagine why you'd want to do a long session on a turbo unless you can't get outside for some reason, or don't fancy the weather.

richgill77 | 6 years ago
0 likes

2 hours on trainerroad but I have a full set up with a tv so I find a series to watch while winter training ehih makes it easier biredom wise but still sore bum time.

simonmb | 6 years ago
1 like

So few 'likes' on this thread. Cyclists reporting feats which would get an avalanche of 'kudos' on Strava get no respect here. The 'likes' only begin when a fight breaks out in the thread! 

"Road Forum rage on the rise according thanks to cyclists"

Kapelmuur | 6 years ago
1 like

I'm grateful for this thread, now I don't feel such a wimp for finding it difficult to tolerate the turbo for more than 20 minutes.

I only use it when conditions outsde are too unpleasant or dangerous for cycling, which is rare.

The longest I've done was after I'd accidentally added a ride around Alderley Edge to Bkool, so out of a perverse interest I followed my own ride on the turbo.   It was 2.5 hours of purgatory.

jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
2 likes

I haven't been on it for months.

Oh, I think I misheard.

andyp | 6 years ago
3 likes

Sorry. The only thing you can say from that image is that *someone* was on the bike for over 8 hours.  Which - as you say - requires plenty of mental and physical fortitude. Still a **fact** that no miles were cycled and no tens of thousands of feet were climbed. All the little smileys in the world don't change that.

fukawitribe replied to andyp | 6 years ago
6 likes

andyp wrote:

Sorry. The only thing you can say from that image is that *someone* was on the bike for over 8 hours.  Which - as you say - requires plenty of mental and physical fortitude. Still a **fact** that no miles were cycled and no tens of thousands of feet were climbed. All the little smileys in the world don't change that.

I think "117 miles on zwift" was the original quote - which is true. Call them 'virtual miles' if you want, ditto the 'climbing', but it the same or more effort with terrain feedback usually (the majority I believe now). In the context of a discussion on indoor training, and Zwift in particular, I think it's appropriate to just say 'miles' or 'feet' as it should be obvious what is being discussed. Or be a pedant, there's always at least one when this comes up - hooray to them for making the world a better place.

CXR94Di2 replied to andyp | 6 years ago
1 like
andyp wrote:

The thread is about trainers, so the mileage is recorded in a virtual sense, it is still mileage and ft clmbed, no way does it diminish his effort. His trainer is a Tacx Neo so accuracy is beyond question. He can take those quality miles done on an indoor trainer and apply his fitness to a sportive/race. They all count. Just because you won't accept the validity of his efforts doesn't make them any less real.

Thousands probably hundreds of thousands now train for miles and hours on trainers recording miles, elevation, watts, calories. This year, I've personally ridden 4.5k miles with probably 3500 miles indoors, using Zwift, Trainer Road. I've used several other platforms aswell.

madcarew | 6 years ago
2 likes

I've done a few 2.5 hr sessions when I had a big race coming up and couldn't fit the training any other way. Really though, It's so unpleasant I'd rather stuff angry wasps up my jaxi.

fukawitribe replied to madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

madcarew wrote:

I've done a few 2.5 hr sessions when I had a big race coming up and couldn't fit the training any other way. Really though, It's so unpleasant I'd rather stuff angry wasps up my jaxi.

That seems like a long time for some race prep - endurance event ?

madcarew replied to fukawitribe | 6 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

madcarew wrote:

That seems like a long time for some race prep - endurance event ?

Typically 100 mile race, Interval sessions including warm up

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

i once did 20 mins on a spin bike as part of pre season rugby training, that's the longest i've sat on a static bike but I like the cold. Always trained in the snow/cut up muddy fields in the winter when playing (Rugby) and wind, snow, rain whilst shit for the most part cycling, is just a part of life. I guess if i was a competiton rider it might be different but then kids/family/career and rugby was more important and I was never going to be anywhere close to being good/fast enough so not something I've thought I needed to do.

Well done to those that can sit on a turbo/rollers etc for hours at a time, personally couldn't do it no matter what.

jasecd | 6 years ago
0 likes

I did 60 miles on Zwift which was just over three hours. Got very dull towards the end. I usually try and do around an hour at high intensity or with intervals now rather than long sessions.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Myself 3hr 30,  my mate rode 117 miles on zwift, some 9 hours with tens of thousands of feet climbed.  I may be on zwift for upto 3 hours this weekend

mike the bike replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
3 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

...... my mate rode 117 miles on zwift, some 9 hours with tens of thousands of feet climbed ......

117 miles --------------------------------------- No he didn't.

9 hours ------------- ---------------------------- Quite possibly.

Tens of thousands of feet ------------------ Oh no he didn't.

fukawitribe replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
5 likes

Here we go again....

mike the bike wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

...... my mate rode 117 miles on zwift, some 9 hours with tens of thousands of feet climbed ......

On Zwift he did.

mike the bike wrote:

Unless you have some reason to doubt it, he did.

mike the bike wrote:

On Zwift he did. 

Don't be such a mindless pedant. Same effort or more for the simulated versus real-world terrain (modulo wind), figures quoted 'in app' - what's your issue ?

CXR94Di2 replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
1 like
mike the bike wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

So love it when you're always wrong  4
We both did the Welsh DD last year 122 miles > 13000ft 9hrs moving. Should I dig it out for you? Hahaha

andyp replied to CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
2 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:
mike the bike wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

So love it when you're always wrong  4 We both did the Welsh DD last year 122 miles > 13000ft 9hrs moving. Should I dig it out for you? Hahaha

He's spot on. The only thing you can say from your image is that you were on the bike for over 8 hours.

CXR94Di2 replied to andyp | 6 years ago
2 likes

andyp wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:
mike the bike wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

So love it when you're always wrong  4 We both did the Welsh DD last year 122 miles > 13000ft 9hrs moving. Should I dig it out for you? Hahaha

He's spot on. The only thing you can say from your image is that you were on the bike for over 8 hours.

Firstly, I didnt do it, my mate did the ride.  If you havent got the admiration to see the mental and physical fortitude to ride on a turbo in a single session for that amount of time, what a sad little world you revolve around in.  The figures are all there to see.

PRSboy | 6 years ago
1 like

90 minutes, on TrainerRoad.  Was painful, more than dull.  Backside and hands ached in a way that they do not on the road.

5 hrs on a turbo, good lordy no.  That said I start to get a bit bored after about 4 hrs on the road, Alpine trips excepted.

Dropped | 6 years ago
0 likes

1 hr 30 mins is about my lot - have found that if I put a film on the laptop (good dumb action or sci-fi) and the time seems to go by a lot easier. I just keep an eye on heart rate/cadence but don't look at the time as clock watching is a killer. Before watching films, 30 minutes was my boredom threshold.

andyp | 6 years ago
1 like

Quite a few 4-5hr sessions in those two utter bastard winters we had a few years ago.  Usually I tend not to go past 2

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

I haven't had a turbo trainer session last for more than 75 minutes. I don't have Zwift or TrainerRoad, so I largely rely on my saved collection of GCN's indoor training videos, which do the job well.

By the time I'm done with the tougher 60-minute efforts, I'm usually too pooped to continue with anything more than a warm-down spin.

turboprannet | 6 years ago
0 likes

I did 8 hours as a virtual 200km as a fundraiser. It got tough towards the end especially as I was doing it after a week or two starting keto.

Pages

Latest Comments