Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cube attain sl disc v specialized diverge elite

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

GT do some good 'gravels' too.

My new wet bike is the GT Alloy 2017 which has discs, will take at least a 35mm nobbly and has 105 kit. Since its last years model Wiggle currently have it at £800ish 

pockstone | 6 years ago
0 likes

I own a carbon Attain and, although I have (gingerly) taken it through the woods, I wouldn't say it was ideal for the kind of use you have in mind. Excellent for long days on the road though.

I think  30-32 mm tyres are probably the maximum. I'd  want to go with something wider for gravel, which in my experience (UK) soon turns into rubble and mud.

The Diverge on the other hand seems to be a different beast (not ridden one!) and better suited to your intended riding. It does have slightly easier gearing (The ones I've seen have a 34t cassette and 32 t inner chainring). Plenty of other options available for this style of bike. I also ride a Pinnacle Arkose which I'm much happier to take off road, and have sized up the rear cassette for laden touring. Highly recommended and coped well with green/rocky bridleways in the dales.

I'd second Joeegg's point about Cube finishing kit. The Attain seatpost and saddle is almost 100g heavier than the bog standard Evans kit on my Arkose, which surprised me. (Upgrade due soon!)

Have you checked out Cube's CX bike? Also looks nice.

joeegg | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Cube will take a wider tyre than the 25's fitted. For the steep stuff it has a 32 cassette. If you put some heavier duty tyres on it I can't see why you couldn't use it on gravel roads.

hughw | 6 years ago
0 likes

I rode a Cube before I bought my Rose, and it was the best value bike I tried.

You usually get the complete groupset without any substitutions, which I like.

To my mind, spesh seems very expensive for what you get, particularly at the low end - they always seem to be a groupset level down on their competitors at each price point.

I did have an interesting experience with the Racing 77s, where the freewheel failed after about 9 months, and it took the distributor 3-4 months to deal with the warranty repair. Hopefully they've sorted this out now, but something to watch out for!

Hugh

flyinscots | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yeh thanks for the info ....i prefer disc due to the terrible weather here .have always rode mtb but am looking to move to gravel and cross just because the lack of trails and mountain climbs in my area there are steeper road climbs to train on ....
Thanks again any suggestions are more than welcome

joeegg | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have the Cube but a previous years model with Fulcrum 77 wheels.

Firstly the sizing. The frame has a long headtube giving a more relaxed position,but a long top tube which seems contradictory.I'm 1.8m tall and have a 58 frame but could probably fit on a 56.

The 105 groupset is excellent,but the hoods are large to accommodate the reservoir.The discs work well but in the dry are more or less similar to a higher end rim brake.

The handling is excellent with a very precise feeling front end.Both wheels are bolt through so you need to carry an allen key.The finishing kit is good but not particularly light.

Maybe the Aksium wheels are a bit more sprightly but the Fulcrums do feel sluggish. However I bought the bike for winter use so I'm more concerned about reliability.

I paid £750 so I'm pretty happy with it overall. Do you really need discs ? At over £1000,and looking to buy online,why not have a look at Canyon if rim brakes would work for you.

flyinscots | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that man I check it out.. main issue is I live in sweden so it's hard to rest the bike first

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

The Cube, definitely the Cube!

I had a Specialized Diverge after my Specialized Allez (in fact I've turned the Diverge into a very winter bike now) and love Specialized, the curve in the top tube and all mmmm. It's horrible - very heavy and terrible frewheel hub that has had to be replaced 3 times in 2 years. It sticks to a line downhill really well and apart from the hub the wheels are bomb proof, it doesn't respond when you press the pedals though!

For a grand you should really be getting a carbon frame or Shimano 105 

Alternatively you can get a good Giant around that price or a Cannondale CAAD12 with disc and 105 - Giant below:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Defy-Advanced-3-2017-Road-Bike_97698.htm

Latest Comments