Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Btwin Triban 540 Bike Size Help

Hi, I am buying my first road bike the Btwin Triban 540 after reading great reviews about it online. I live in Saint Genis Pouilly in France and have tested the  Large (L) and Extra Large (XL) models in my local Decathlon shop. Some of my friends who know about bikes told me to go for the Large but the shop assistant insists an XL looks better for me when he saw me test riding both sizes. The L was easier to control (in the shop) and easier to reach the handle bars but the XL felt good also. I have always ridden larger bikes so I don’t really know the feel of a correct fit.

I am 6’1 (186cm) and have longish legs. Advice would be truly appreciated.

Details on the bike can be found at this link, specifications can be found on the link "GUIDE DES TAILLES".

https://www.decathlon.fr/velo-route-triban-540-rouge-id_8364452.html#

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Liam_D | 5 years ago
0 likes

I went with an XL in the end after a lot of different answers from decathlon staff, the majority recommended XL. I find it a good size for me, its a real nice bike.

Judge dreadful | 5 years ago
0 likes

The T 540 has a straight frame ( not the compact curved top tube design of the Ultra range) I think that the size L T540 would probably be a better fit for you, from what you say about your size and proportions.

Kapelmuur | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a large and I'm 5'9" with short legs.

dusan.g | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi Liam_D, which size did you choose? I'm the same height - 186 cm and my inseam length is 90 cm. 

BTW, are you satisfied with the bike?

Thanks.

shufflingb | 6 years ago
1 like

If it was me I'd go with the smaller of the two. As well as what's already been said it will be slightly lighter and a bit easier to get on and off.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
2 likes

Agree with the above. You can't make a 'too big' frame smaller, but you can push the seat back and add a longer stem on a smaller bike. And that looks way more pro than a seat forward and short stem  3

kompot | 6 years ago
2 likes

According to the decathlon size guide you come between L and XL, I would go with the smaller frame since it could be easily adjusted with longer stem. For me decathlon's size guide worked well.

Latest Comments