Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Am I imagining things ?!

I have recently found that my front wheel seems to think it is a gyroscope being turned off its axis, that being the best way I can describe the feeling that the bike would prefer to track straight rather than turn ?!  All very strange, I've had it for a couple of years with no problems, but I first noticed this on Ride London last week and again on a ride this morning. The front wheel is semi deep, 38mm and is disc braked, I've checked all cables and its not them that are restricting steerer movement. Am I going mad, or could my bike be possessed ?!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Tjuice | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 to the above.

However, if you discover that your headset bearings are fine, the headset not done up over-tight, and you still have the problem, check that the steerer tube is completely straight (note: bends in steerer tubes are not always obvious just by looking at it - use a straight edge to check).

Bent steerer tube would be most likely as a result of a crash, or the bike being compressed front to back somehow.  You didn't mention anything like this though

graybags | 6 years ago
0 likes

Yup, spot on, did a 100 miler today and by about 70 the headset was creaking and groaning big time , at least I think it was the headset, could have been me !

lift the bike off the ground and the steerer is fine, but put some weight through it and it's a very different story !

madcarew | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 on Mike the Bike's assessment. Knackered headset bearings.

mike the bike | 6 years ago
2 likes

I suspect you have a knackered steerer bearing.  It's usually the lower and it ofter feels as though the steering is 'indexed' rather than turning freely.

Watch a YouTube video and have a go at regreasing it before you spend  money on a new one.

Best of luck.

Latest Comments