Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

DengFu Bikes - Chinese Carbon - Warning/ FYI

Hi Guys

In case you are researching Chinese carbon wheels, an FYI:  I tried to buy some carbon disc brake wheels from DengFu and have finally gotten a refund after 6-7 weeks of lies and price increases.

Basically I was told that the wheels I wanted (ushaped carbon clinchers, 50mm) would be 615 USD  with DT350 hubs, 6-bolt. Then they told me they did not have dt350, and recommended I went to powerway or dt240s. I decided on dt240s and paid another 115 dollars. A week after that, Paul told me he had got the price wrong, and I needed to pay another 80 dollars. After some complaint, he agreed on 60. I paid again, now totalling 790 USD.

A week later Paul at Dengfu then told me they only had centre-loock (I had order 6-bolt), so I said ok.. and bought new centre-lock disc rotors for 90 quid... I then asked if they would supply valve extenders with the wheels, which they said no, so I ordered new long valve tubes from the UK.

Another week later, Paul told me they had no dt240s after all, and asked if I would like to change the hubs again. I said no, I would like a refund. No reply. I contacted paypal and filed a complaint/ refund claim. He offered me thru-axel - showing he knows nothing about bikes and that a QR frame cannot accept thru-axel. I refused and he said they could not give me a refund - until I cancel the complaint to paypal. (If you close a case with paypal, it cannot be re-opened, and obviously I would not do this without getting a refund.). He said several times I must withdraw the complaint before they refunded me. I refused again, and said I would wait the 8 required  days to escalate the issue with Paypal. Finally this morning he refunded the 3 payments. If I did not have paypal protection, I am doubtful I'd have got the money back.

Having lived in China for 7 years previously I know what Chinese businesses are like, and this case demonstrates it perfectly - they will tell you anything you want to hear to push a deal through, and hope they can get away with their lies and deceit - many Chinese customers will let them, as despicable customer service is the norm in the PRC. 

So my advice is of course to use another company (I read they had a good reputation with rim brake wheels at least, but  so do others on aliexpress and ebay if you're risking the Chinese way), and for sure go through paypal for protection. AFter 2 months I am now stuck with no wheels and not enough money to buy a pair as good as i'd hoped I'd have gotten, with some rotors and extended valve tubes I may not need. Not very good at all

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

drosco | 6 years ago
1 like

For what it's worth, I have a set of Yishun and they're excellent. Farsports are supposed to be good too.

Of course, you might order some and it'll be a disaster, but just to counter the 'I'd never trust a carbon wheel made in China' comments with a real life experience.

MarkOne replied to drosco | 6 years ago
0 likes
drosco wrote:

For what it's worth, I have a set of Yishun and they're excellent. Farsports are supposed to be good too.

Hm.. Cool man. Maybe I'll have a look again, before ordering the fulcrum.. Should get more for my /less bucks

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

There have been a few terrible reports lately of Deng Fu.

Farr Sports seem to be reliable, though I've never trusted them enough to actually order anything.

MarkOne replied to matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes
matthewn5 wrote:

There have been a few terrible reports lately of Deng Fu.

Farr Sports seem to be reliable, though I've never trusted them enough to actually order anything.

I see, thanks.. Where did you see bad reports about them? Maybe sold the company.. They had a good reputation before.
Farsports yeah.. Maybe I should go that way.. Looking at fulcrum quattro disc now

Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

And some people buy wheels from these companies...

Presumably, they use the wheels often and do things such as descend at 40+ mph on said wheels.

Would I trust my life in wheels from that type of company?

MarkOne replied to Canyon48 | 6 years ago
0 likes

wellsprop wrote:

And some people buy wheels from these companies...

Presumably, they use the wheels often and do things such as descend at 40+ mph on said wheels.

Would I trust my life in wheels from that type of company?

Yeah I know the arguements... But it'll take me years to be able to afford 45-50mm wheels with dt240s or Chris King hubs.. My tastes aren't matched by my earning on a Thai teacher 's wage! As I'm buying disc wheels I thought it would be safer as less heat build up on the rims... But the experiment hasn't paid off. Maybe mavic, but some say they rust and quality has dropped there too! 

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
6 likes

"Having lived in China for 7 years previously I know what Chinese businesses are like, and this case demonstrates it perfectly - they will tell you anything you want to hear to push a deal through, and hope they can get away with their lies and deceit - many Chinese customers will let them, as despicable customer service is the norm in the PRC."

But yet you went ahead anyway? Good work.

MarkOne replied to Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
0 likes

Rapha Nadal wrote:

"Having lived in China for 7 years previously I know what Chinese businesses are like, and this case demonstrates it perfectly - they will tell you anything you want to hear to push a deal through, and hope they can get away with their lies and deceit - many Chinese customers will let them, as despicable customer service is the norm in the PRC."

But yet you went ahead anyway? Good work.

Yeah well most things we own are made in china! You have to take risks in life sometimes, no? People seem 50/50 on risking Chinese carbon, so I researched companies with good reputation... Don't have enough money to get the bits I want from more legit sources unfortunately.. Though as it'll be my first wheel purchase, maybe playing safe would be wiser! 

Latest Comments