Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

buying my first drop bar bike

Afternoon all,

First post for me and after some reccomendations of places to buy my first drop bar bike please.

About me/needs of a bike: Currently ride a pinnacle hybrid approx 30 miles twice a week. Where i live is mainly hills, with some flat sections so this factors in to the groupset choices. 

I've seen quiet a selection ranging from £900 - £1200 and have narrowed it down to the Ribble Gran Fondo (shimano 105 groupset), Ribble 7005 sportive (same groupset) and i've seen some Cube Trek bikes in and around that price point from Evans, Tredz and a local bike shop to me. (Caerphilly)

Question is, are the above bikes good for my use, are there any other places i should look or other manufacturers i should look at. Price point is a massive consideration and the boss has agreed to the purchase, but no chance of it being increased unfortuantely. 

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

RMurphy195 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Do any of these have similar gearing to your Hybrid? - If not, you may want to consider some that do, or at least explore how easy it would be to change the gearing.

skwarczek replied to RMurphy195 | 7 years ago
0 likes

RMurphy195 wrote:

Do any of these have similar gearing to your Hybrid? - If not, you may want to consider some that do, or at least explore how easy it would be to change the gearing.

Current hybrid has some bog standard shimano 7 speed gear. I've looked at upgrading the groupset, but i'd be looking at close to £600 for all the bits and bobs needed including fitting. Not enough space in my house to build it myself and not got the time either. 

Im thinking it would be a good idea to have the road bike for fair weather riding and the hybrid for keeping fit over the winter months.

Welsh boy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a Ribble 7005 Ultralight and the Sportive frame which preceeded the Gran Fondo (so I know i am not comparing exactly like for like with your two short list choices but I think the comparison is worth making).  The carbon frame knocks spots off the aluminium one, there is no comparison in the quality of the ride so of the 2 i would say Gran Fondo.  As skwarczek says, pop into Cardiff (next to the Apple store by John Lewis) and take a look at them both.

My advice would be to buy which ever bike you like the look of and will want to ride even when the weather in south Wales reverts back to its usual wet/windy/cold norm.  A good buy is a bike you want to ride, a bad bike is a real bargain which sits in the shed because you wish you had bought something else.  Finally, have a look at Dolan bikes (yes, I have one of them too), their carbon Dual (http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-dual.html) just comes into your price range and can take mudguards so can be ridden comfortably all year.

(ps. I dont have any connection with Ribble or Dolan)

skwarczek | 7 years ago
1 like

Ribble offer bike sizing/fitting in their store in Cardiff which helps me in my decision making. 

I've been around a good few stores locally and had a sit on their offerings, when the time is near to make the purchase, i will most definetely be taking some out for a test ride to be absolutely certain. 

Im fairly open to looking at other bikes/stores so off t'interweb isnt set in stone for me.

DaveT | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had a Sensa from merlin for around 4 years now, apart from some better tyres I've not felt the need to upgrade it and it's lasted me well

JimD666 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Merlin Cycles, had mine (https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-axe7-pro-105-road-disc-bike-2017-955...) for a couple of weeks now and loving it  1

skwarczek | 7 years ago
0 likes

Should've clarified a bit better there, the boss is the missus. The initial budget was around £600, but was looking to future proof as much as possible so upping the budget has been hard graft.

rdmp2 replied to skwarczek | 7 years ago
1 like

If its your first road bike, is it sensible to be off the internet? Would you not be better paying slightly more for something that you can test ride/get set up for you etc? I moved from a hybrid to drop bars 2 years ago and am now much more flexible/stronger than I was back then. FWIW I bought a (mostly) 105 spec Trek for £900 on the C2W scheme and absolutely love it

skwarczek wrote:

Should've clarified a bit better there, the boss is the missus. The initial budget was around £600, but was looking to future proof as much as possible so upping the budget has been hard graft.

MrGold | 7 years ago
0 likes

Those are all good choices. I assume you are on the cycle to work scheme so a Canyon or Rose are not options (if they are the endurance al 6.0 and Rose pro so 2000). Consider Boardman as well. They will all work more or less the same.

Latest Comments