Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

chamois cream

Anyone found that a particular cream is better than others? I have been using Udderly Smooth but as I have a 160 odd mile ride on June 22nd looking for "marginal gains". 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Nothing wrong with Udderly Smooth! Works for my bottom.

S13SFC | 6 years ago
1 like

I use Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter. Absolutely spot on and cheap as chips.

Used it on 150milers and it's still there at the end. 

If it's good enough for the precious arse of a Waitrose shoppers baby it's good enough for mine. smiley

TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

Hasn't anybody else tried petroleum jelly? In the absence of chamois cream (which is to say, most of the time in my country), I use that. So far so good.

Dnnnnnn replied to TypeVertigo | 6 years ago
0 likes

TypeVertigo wrote:

Hasn't anybody else tried petroleum jelly? In the absence of chamois cream (which is to say, most of the time in my country), I use that. So far so good.

Yes, cheapest nappy stuff from Tesco. Seemed to work OK but I've only used it a few times (for a rare series of back-to-back long rides - I can easily do one-off centuries without issue or skin cream (but with good shorts)).

BrokenBootneck | 6 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the advice guys. I am cracking 90-100  without issues. The Assos one was at the top of my to try list once my udderly smooth runs out. I will try some double bass though. 

Cyclax Maximus | 7 years ago
2 likes

I've been using Marmite on my botty cheeks for really long rides these days. Spread liberally of course for marginal pains. You either love it or you hate it.

I always try to suppress a 'knowing' giggle afterwards, whilst slaving over the sink and washing my shorts !  As many people tend to jump to the wrong conclusions...

CygnusX1 replied to Cyclax Maximus | 7 years ago
5 likes

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

I've been using Marmite on my botty cheeks for really long rides these days. Spread liberally of course for marginal pains. You either love it or you hate it.

I always try to suppress a 'knowing' giggle afterwards, whilst slaving over the sink and washing my shorts !  As many people tend to jump to the wrong conclusions...

Next from Viz Top Tips...

//i2.wp.com/viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-05-at-17.43.42.png)

beezus fufoon replied to CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
2 likes

CygnusX1 wrote:

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

//i2.wp.com/viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Screen-Shot-2015-05-05-at-17.43.42.png)

can use some raitha instead of chamois cream - or for the more daring, a couple of dollops of mango chutney

Cyclax Maximus replied to beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
1 like

beezus fufoon wrote:

CygnusX1 wrote:

Cyclax Maximus wrote:

can use some raitha instead of chamois cream - or for the more daring, a couple of dollops of mango chutney

Ha Ha great stuff there. Nice to know there is a healthy sense of humour on here.

Whilst on the subject, who needs chamois cream when you can have this !!!

surly_by_name | 7 years ago
1 like

Assos very reliable, but not cheap. Tried DZ Nutz, Chamois Butt'r, Brave Soldier, Udderly Smooth but kept going back to Assos until I stumbled across Ballocks, which seems to agree with me as much as Assos and is a similar consistency. Doesn't seem to have same menthol-ness, so you don't get the "cool bits" sensation that you get with Assos on initial application, which I miss a bit. But it's cheaper.

I won't even get on the trainer without a scoop or two of chamois creme.

Dottigirl: as for pubic topiary, apparently to quote from article reporting on same in Guardian: "The women [and men, apparently] were strongly advised to stop shaving, waxing and depilating. They were also issued with Doublebase gel, a cheap over-the-counter moisturiser containing liquid paraffin, to treat any tender spots and to apply ahead of rides instead of chamois cream. In addition they were given Dermol 500, an antibacterial shower gel that can be used as a soap substitute."

beezus fufoon replied to surly_by_name | 7 years ago
2 likes

surly_by_name wrote:

Assos very reliable, but not cheap. Tried DZ Nutz, Chamois Butt'r, Brave Soldier, Udderly Smooth but kept going back to Assos until I stumbled across Ballocks, which seems to agree with me as much as Assos and is a similar consistency. Doesn't seem to have same menthol-ness, so you don't get the "cool bits" sensation that you get with Assos on initial application, which I miss a bit. But it's cheaper.

Dottigirl: as for pubic topiary, apparently to quote from article reporting on same in Guardian: "The women [and men, apparently] were strongly advised to stop shaving, waxing and depilating. They were also issued with Doublebase gel, a cheap over-the-counter moisturiser containing liquid paraffin, to treat any tender spots and to apply ahead of rides instead of chamois cream. In addition they were given Dermol 500, an antibacterial shower gel that can be used as a soap substitute."

she said a trim, not a zero - nothing worse than a stubbly nutsack on a long ride!

peted76 replied to surly_by_name | 7 years ago
2 likes

surly_by_name wrote:

A few weeks ago I set off on my own for a very long day in the saddle (140miles) you know that feeling when you know you've forgotten something... well for me it was chamois cream as it happens I suffered not a jot of chaffing or other uncomfort in the downstairs department, I put it happily down to the new shorts, pedal ed 'natsu' ones.  If they can do me 14hrs, I'm sure they could help you for an hour on the turbo  3

dottigirl | 7 years ago
1 like

When are you using the chamois cream - I know you mention doing a 160mile ride, but after how many miles atm?

I've done over 100 miles without needing chamois cream, so I'm wondering if your shorts or saddle fit aren't quite right. Or you may need some trimming down there, to stop the hair pulling. 

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for clarifying BrokenBootneck. I personally use Chamois Butt'r Eurostyle which are available in single use packs for under a £. This is a good way to test chafing prevention without having to spend ££ for a large tube which you may end up not using. I can ride centuries (161km) races with zero issues. 

cdean | 7 years ago
0 likes

This is the only one I've used but it got me through the long version of the Tour of Flanders this year (including the 3 hour rainstorm at the start) in comfort, and without the saddle frothing like I saw happened with the creams used by some other riders. I live in Bristol so may be biased! http://www.bristolbuttr.co.uk/

Chris Hayes | 7 years ago
0 likes

Savlon.  Much cheaper.  And even better as it comes in a tube that fits in your pocket. If it does get bad you can apply/re-apply.   You probably ride a lot given you're doing 200kms  so I'm guessing that your saddle height and shorts are fine.  I think that most saddle sore are caused by rocking... 

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

Assos is always first on my list. Rapha is quite good too.

I also had a sample of DZ Nuts Pro. But haven't seen it available here in Ireland.

It's currently selling for just under €20 for 120ml on Planet X, which I think is a touch too much.

So I'll be 'sticking' to Assos (once my current Rapha one runs out).

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

Huh, 'marginal gains' from a cream? Creams prevent skin chafing; to much is as bad as too little. Not to be facetious, but what kind of 'gains' do you expect a cream can provide?

BrokenBootneck replied to VeloUSA | 7 years ago
2 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

Huh, 'marginal gains' from a cream? Creams prevent skin chafing; to much is as bad as too little. Not to be facetious, but what kind of 'gains' do you expect a cream can provide?

well as I have to explain it. Some creams are argued to be better than others, so I thought I would ask the collective, their experience of different creams in an attempt to decrease any chaffing I may get. Sorry I didn't meant to be so cryptic in my first post. 

Latest Comments