Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campagnolo Potenza Compatability

Due to upcoming 7 day trip with a lot of climbing, would like a 32 ring on the cassette.

Currently groupset is Campag Record (with Super Record shifters)

Would I be okay in changing the rear mech to Campag Potenza (med cage) and using Potenza 11/32 cassette? (+new chain)?

Will the SR shifters and Record front mech be okay?

Grateful for any advice

David

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Dnnnnnn | 6 years ago
1 like

This is making me dizzy. I'm going back to friction shifting.

moorsey72 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to bump the thread but was just wondering if the potenza rear mech works with athena?

I would prefer 32t on my new build but cant get hold of an athena rear triple RD (long cage) in silver anywhere.

Inder replied to moorsey72 | 6 years ago
0 likes

moorsey72 wrote:

Sorry to bump the thread but was just wondering if the potenza rear mech works with athena?

I would prefer 32t on my new build but cant get hold of an athena rear triple RD (long cage) in silver anywhere.

Not sure if this helps but from my personal experience:

Using Athena 11sp double (full groupset with 53/39 chainrings and standard rear mech) I was able to switch from my usual 12-27 cassette to an 11-32 (I used a rear wheel with a shimano hub and cassette from another bike to save buying a new Campag cassette) and it worked fine. It was a one off set up for a hillier than usual ride in the lake district which included Hardknott Pass.

All gear combinations worked fine and shifting was good, although things were a bit tight in the big/big combination which I obviously wasn't planning to use anyway. This could have been fixed by adding an extra link or two to the chain but then there would have been some slack when using the smallest sprockets when in the little ring.

spindi | 6 years ago
0 likes

Might be too late I know but for anyone else wondering about / Googling this.

I have a RoadLink and a short cage 10 speed Record mech from around 2005 I think. It's clearing a 29 at the moment (Veloce cassette) with bags of room. I've had a 32 IRD cassette on loan in there in the past and it worked. There is no need for a long cage or even a medium cage at the back with the RoadLink. I have a 50/34 Centaur CT Ultra Torque compact crank on the front.

Big big and little little work which is nice for peace of mind but obviously to be avoided.

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

S13SFC | 6 years ago
0 likes

People mention a 32 working with a Athena rear mech.

According to my LBS and what I've read an Athena mech isn't compatible with a 32 cassette. I've a full Athena bike and wanted a 32 for a trip to the Alps and Pyrenees and was told I'd need a Potenza rear mech to make it happen.

maviczap | 6 years ago
1 like

Or another option is to buy a wolf tooth road link derailleur dropout extender and use your current rear mech.

£21 and should easily cope with a 32 tooth cassette on a short cage rear mech. 20 mins.

There are UK stockists of this product. 

700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

Given the cassettes and chains weren't changed with the 'revolution+' update, if you can get away with just a small change in cassette teeth eg to 29t (not sure what you're running now? 27?), your current chain and RD will probably be able to handle it. Just don't use big/big gear combo.

Before this thread I hadn't realised campag did this - updating their product lines mid life and removing backwards compatibility. Disappointing, as everything 10S is compatible with itself; veloce, record etc -(powershift /ultrashift itself shouldn't make a difference) and I've successfully combined all manner of veloce , centaur, record components for years).

matthewn5 replied to 700c | 6 years ago
0 likes

700c wrote:

Before this thread I hadn't realised campag did this - updating their product lines mid life and removing backwards compatibility. Disappointing, as everything 10S is compatible with itself; veloce, record etc -(powershift /ultrashift itself shouldn't make a difference) and I've successfully combined all manner of veloce , centaur, record components for years).

It wasn't 'mid life' - it was a completely new 11 speed range. Different rear mechs, different front mechs, different shifter internals, different cranksets. Even different brakes on the lower ranges.

They did it once before too: there were modifications in the shift from the 'early' 11 speed - with the curly 11 logo - to the later 'large 11' groups, though they still work together.

Shimano have done it regularly too. It's constant research and improvement.

Rapha Nadal | 6 years ago
0 likes

You should be able to run an Athena mech with those shifters & cassette ratio.

davidw07 | 6 years ago
1 like

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for directing me to Velotech - there is a FAQ on their website which confirms your assessment - i.e fraught with difficulties and basically not possible.

Already on a 50/34 compact - so no margin there.

Looks like I need to modify my legs to push harder!

srchar replied to davidw07 | 6 years ago
0 likes

davidw07 wrote:

Already on a 50/34 compact - so no margin there.

Looks like I need to modify my legs to push harder!

Plenty of companies make sub-compacts, but I would investigate the longer mech cage option. I'm almost certain an Athena cage will work for you.

A mate of mine bought a 32 for a trip to the Dolomites as he was worried about making it up the climbs, but when we arrived and tried to fit it, we realised that his rear mech couldn't take it. He got up everything using his 28 anyway.

srchar | 6 years ago
0 likes

Are your Super Record shifters Revolution 11 or Revolution 11+?

If the former, it won't work - the cable pull ratio is different so the indexing will be off.

If the latter, it will work, but shifting won't be quite as crisp as a Chorus/Record/SR mech due to the difference in return spring tension between PowerShift and UltraShift mechs.

What size are your chainrings?  I would be inclined to change them rather then rear mech, cassette and chain.

Alternatively, it may be possible to order the Potenza or Athena medium rear mech cage as a spare part and retrofit to your existing mech.  I would suggest calling Graham at Velotech to discuss that one.

Latest Comments