Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Inner Tubes. Probably a dumb question but....

For 25 mm tyres I can fit either a 18-25mm inner OR a 25-32mm inner.  (Sourcing from Decathalon)

Does it matter? Any advantage/disadvantage involved?

Yes I really am this new to cycling. Embarassing at 45......

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Man of Lard | 6 years ago
5 likes

I run 28mm tyres - actually on the bike I have 18/28 tubes. In my pocket I carry 28/45s...

Why? Because I mostly ride with chaps who apparently enjoy hammering their prostates on 23mm tyres pumped up to infinity PSI... One of them keeps puncturing but never carries a spare tube, patches or a pump & I got fed up providing tubes that he always promised to replace (still waiting on any never mind all). Now I can't provide him with a tube so either someone else can, or he's on the walk/call of shame.

Forgetting once is forgivable, twice starts to look careless, thrice is extracting the weewee.

matthewn5 | 6 years ago
1 like

Doesn't seem to matter. I never check the size of the tubes and they still work in 25s on wide rims  3

JimD666 | 6 years ago
2 likes

I'm starting to lean towards fitting 28mm tyres anyway.

Which kind of makes the entire question pointless.

Sorry  2

Thanks for the advice anyway.

EDIT: Should add I'm at the "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure" stage of buying a bike.

mike the bike | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd go for the larger size even though there is a small risk of snagging it during fitting.  I reckon that the smaller one will be inflated to its maximum size and stretched to the limit, a bit like a balloon.  This means it will puncture more easily than the larger one that should be more relaxed.

Well, that's my theory anyway ......

Spangly Shiny | 6 years ago
2 likes

On the other hand if you are fitting your 25mm tyres onto a pair of  newer, wider rims the actual measured width of the tyre will be up to 29mm. In that case a 25-32mm tube may be considered more appropriate, especially on a tubeless ready rim where the well is deeper.

JimD666 | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks both

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Agreed, much easier to fit.

Nat Jas Moe | 6 years ago
5 likes

In my experience I find that the 18-25 are esier to fit than the 25-32 as the larger inner tube I find is easier to pinch when fitting. So I would go for the 18-25, which is what I use as I have 25mm tyres.

Latest Comments