Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Schwalbe S-One tyres - are they tubeless?

I've got hold of a couple of Schwalbe S-One tyres (700x30) from EBay and I'm not sure if they're tubeless or not. I'm currently running Schwalbe Pro-One tubeless and they say "TL-Easy" on them, but I'm concerned that the S-Ones only have "Performance Line Raceguard" written on them. Does anyone know if these are tubeless?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have Shwalbe X ones for the winter then put S ones (30mm) for summer.  Both are easy tubeless and I honestly have to say I wouldn't ever go back to inner tubes. EVER.

I go on trails a lot and we have loads of thorns here in East Anglia, have pulled 3 out now and the sealant has taken care of them all.

So get them sold and go tubelessyes

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

something I learnt today is that the sealant in tubeless tyres can cause problems with the spokes. I've buckled my rear wheel, and the mechanic at my local shop is having trouble with the spokes - it seems the sealant gets under the rim and into the  spoke nipples - hilarity ensues!

Jimthebikeguy.com replied to riotgibbon | 7 years ago
1 like
riotgibbon wrote:

something I learnt today is that the sealant in tubeless tyres can cause problems with the spokes. I've buckled my rear wheel, and the mechanic at my local shop is having trouble with the spokes - it seems the sealant gets under the rim and into the  spoke nipples - hilarity ensues!

Not if the wheel has been taped or prepped correctly.

hawkinspeter replied to riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

riotgibbon wrote:

Ideally the rim should be air-tight so that sealant doesn't get onto the nipples, but I suppose you only discover that when it's too late.

I might end up selling these Schwalbe non-tubeless S-One tyres. Any takers for 30 quid each?

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I would like to know how a normal road tyre would have a 'catastrophic depressurisation' ?   The benefit of sealant it reduces rapid air loss.  

Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

The performance line tires from schwalbe are not tubeless. They are the mid range models.

KiwiMike replied to Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

jterrier wrote:

The performance line tires from schwalbe are not tubeless. They are the mid range models.

A year ago I raised the issue that bike brands were shipping OEM-only versions of Schwalbe tubeless models that were *not* tubeless, on bikes selling with tubeless-ready rims. This to my mind was reckless. I imagine many customers thought they were tubeless ( I did, and it took a LOT of research to confirm they weren't). I bet many pulled out the tubes and added sealant. And risk a catastrophic depressurisation. 

hawkinspeter replied to Jimthebikeguy.com | 7 years ago
0 likes

jterrier wrote:

So, I'd better be putting tubes in these ones then.

. . replied to hawkinspeter | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

I would like to know how a normal road tyre would have a 'catastrophic depressurisation' ?   The benefit of sealant it reduces rapid air loss.  

Tubeless tyres have stronger beads and sidewalls. The risk is the tyre coming off the rim. 

hawkinspeter wrote:

So, I'd better be putting tubes in these ones then.

Yes

. . | 7 years ago
0 likes

iso2000 wrote:

Mine have "Tubeless Ready" and "V-Guard" printed on them.

Same here.  Like in this pic http://www.cykelportalen.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Schwalbe-S-One-02... Mine were from  Wiggle about 6 months ago

Would you mind posting a link to the EBay ad?

hawkinspeter replied to . . | 7 years ago
0 likes

. . wrote:

iso2000 wrote:

Mine have "Tubeless Ready" and "V-Guard" printed on them.

Same here.  Like in this pic http://www.cykelportalen.dk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Schwalbe-S-One-02... Mine were from  Wiggle about 6 months ago

Would you mind posting a link to the EBay ad?

The tyres I bought were these ones: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162387332102?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPa...

I think those were the only 2 that they had but here's a link to their shop (they delivered nice and quick): http://stores.ebay.co.uk/activesport-store

iso2000 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mine have "Tubeless Ready" and "V-Guard" printed on them. They were bought about 2 months ago but may have been from old stock. 

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

S One now renamed G One speed.  In S One, they did two types a tubeless version and tubular.  So it looks like it is tubeless.  

I have the G One 40mm and it comes with various models, some not classed as tubeless and inner tubes are required.

hawkinspeter replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

S One now renamed G One speed.  In S One, they did two types a tubeless version and tubular.  So it looks like it is tubeless.  

I have the G One 40mm and it comes with various models, some not classed as tubeless and inner tubes are required.

I thought the G-One was a bigger tyre - the S-Ones that I've got are 30mm. The tread looks the same as the G-One though.

I think I'll try fitting one of them again now that they've been hanging up without being folded. The problem I had previously could have been due to the bead being a bit kinked.

riotgibbon replied to hawkinspeter | 7 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

I thought the G-One was a bigger tyre - the S-Ones that I've got are 30mm. The tread looks the same as the G-One though.

it's the G-One *speed* that's the S-one replacement, I've got a 30mm one. There are other G-Ones that are much bigger:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-g-one-all-round-road-tyre-mi...

but presumably not as speedy ...

Latest Comments